Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tangled mess tips?
10-27-2011, 10:50 AM,
tangled mess tips?
Every now and then I get a tangled mess situation. One example would be an old unit. They tend to get knotted if stored without a good cleaning first. MY normal approach is just lots of conditioner, soaking, and combing. Seems this is not a good method as I just loose too much of the hair. Any ideas?
10-28-2011, 03:50 AM,
RE: tangled mess tips?
Sounds like you're looking for advice on products to use. Well, other than suggesting any basic detangler, I can't really help you out on that front. I would, however, suggest that you use a pick rather than a comb in working tangles out. I lose a lot less hair with a pick than a comb.

And by a "pick," I mean the kind of pick that some folks use on an afro. Works well for me.
10-28-2011, 04:58 AM,
I think JRob did a reply recently regarding this type of thing... it`s something to do with these `scales` opening on the hair shaft when exposed to hot water and then closing again and the hair shafts getting tangled .. I`ll try to find it later ..I may have the `gist`of it wrong now ..but that`s just off the top of my head [no pun !! lol ] paul.
10-28-2011, 06:16 AM,
I can`t find the exact reply I was thinking of, but here`s a similar one I found.. Jrob will probably enlighten us later when he reads this thread....

09-02-2009, 05:18 AM Post: #7
JRob
Posting Freak

Re: combing matted hair
Keep in mind that hair tangling is mainly due to the remaining cuticle getting caught with cuticles running in the opposite direction.

A satin pillowcase doesn't hurt (but is mainly to help the unit retain moisture) but if you use the right maintenance products you shouldn't have this problem.
10-28-2011, 03:56 PM,
interesting, thx guys.
11-01-2011, 08:25 AM,
More than likely this is happening because you are using come kind of product that has too high of a pH level, which makes the hair shaft swell and opens any remaining cuticle.

I had this issue back in the days when I was using an "all natural" shampoo. I thought that just because it was natural and sulfate free that it had to be good for the hair. It wasn't until I started working with a laboratory that I understood why the hair would always feel like wet cardboard when I was washing, but I now know that the shampoo I was using was actually damaging the hair.

You need to keep the hair shaft nice and tight during the entire wash cycle. Using a slightly acidic shampoo and conditioner with COOL water, followed by a silicone based sealer should do the trick.