Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do scam companies do it
10-17-2011, 04:42 PM,
How do scam companies do it
Hey guys
Im from Australia and we have several companies (advanced hair, ashley and martin, hair science, etc) that all claim to give you your "own" hair back but simply apply a hair piece to your head. You go back there once a month, where they re-attach the unit. I was just wondering, if you only go back to these places once a month, what adhesives do they use to attach the unit??

Im just curious, i would never ever go to one of these companies, but just wondering how they get a month long attachment with there units when the person wearing it isnt even suppose to know its a piece! do they use glue/ or tape??? and if so, what type?
10-17-2011, 07:55 PM,
RE: How do scam companies do it
Hi roby123..... at least one company you refer-to there, has had legal cases taken against them in the past by clients [ read `victims`] over various issues -- I have read the court reports in the press. I too was a `victim` of one of the ones you name there, which was operating in Ireland. They supplied all-poly systems [don`t know what they supply now as it`s been quite a few years since I was in their `programme`] and your scalp was coated with a few layers of a strong glue. They claimed it would last a month but again...in warm weather conditions, it often didn`t , and you could end up with a gooey mess when the glue failed and your system not secured properly... it would literally slide on the scalp if you pushed it with the palm of your hand, and of course you had no supplies whatsoever to do a `touch-up`-----you were totally `tied`to them. I could tell you more `insider`tales about one[company/particular salon] which I was told recently, by a person who was an employee there and who left to set up their own salon for ethical reasons,quite a while back----it would make your remaining hair fall out !! -- I won`t put it on here publicly though, for reasons which I`m sure you`ll understand. Cheers, Paul.
10-18-2011, 12:13 AM,
I know the first company they use a cloth reinforced tape then apply glue to the attachment area. They like all companies chat a huge amount of money for a piece. Those tied to them don't realize how easy it is to maintain yourself
10-18-2011, 07:18 AM,
People believe what they are told unfortunately and dont do their own research. People will always happily sit as a middle man if other people let them. This industry is secretive by nature and it is only really the internet that is starting to blow the door open on all of this. Luckily it has created an environment where people can anonymously meet and share our thoughts and experiences on this matter!
10-18-2011, 07:39 AM,
(10-18-2011, 07:18 AM)Benq Wrote: People believe what they are told unfortunately and dont do their own research. People will always happily sit as a middle man if other people let them. This industry is secretive by nature and it is only really the internet that is starting to blow the door open on all of this. Luckily it has created an environment where people can anonymously meet and share our thoughts and experiences on this matter!

I was a victim of one of the "Clubs" I paid $3400 a year for 6 pieces and 12 attachments. I was so ignorant, I didn't even know what a lace or a skin base was. They gave me mono filament with poly sides. You couldn't expose the hair line. The only thing I will say is the attachment lasted for 4 weeks. A truly bad experience, but at the time I thought Clubs and salons were my only options. I never knew you could buy hair online. They keep you ignorant, and when they would detach, the stylist would grab the piece and run out of the room, they never wanted you to see the base. I have a cousin who goes to a salon, and he pays $2400 a year for 2 pieces that look like a dead rat on his head. He wouldn't ever order online, he likes the hand holding, which is ridiculous, because his wife is a hair dresser!
10-19-2011, 03:43 AM,
(10-18-2011, 07:39 AM)winstonage Wrote: I was a victim of one of the "Clubs" I paid $3400 a year for 6 pieces and 12 attachments. I was so ignorant, I didn't even know what a lace or a skin base was. They gave me mono filament with poly sides. You couldn't expose the hair line. The only thing I will say is the attachment lasted for 4 weeks. A truly bad experience, but at the time I thought Clubs and salons were my only options. I never knew you could buy hair online. They keep you ignorant, and when they would detach, the stylist would grab the piece and run out of the room, they never wanted you to see the base. I have a cousin who goes to a salon, and he pays $2400 a year for 2 pieces that look like a dead rat on his head. He wouldn't ever order online, he likes the hand holding, which is ridiculous, because his wife is a hair dresser!

Im supprised your cousin is still going. Maybe he doesnt trust his own skills...

Dont beat yourself up, you made the change and lets be honest these sales men are good at what they do (bull****ing you)!

I visited a "club" just to see what they offer and to see a real life system and they used poly bases but didnt give me any specs. I luckily found a salon that will do the cut in for me even though Im not buying one of their systems but if it came down to it I would phone round normal salons and just ask them if they could do it before I paid through my nose!
10-20-2011, 11:06 AM,
Yeah, my first club used lace pieces with a poly perimeter (back and sides) and attached them with Vapon No Tape (I think that's what it's called -- the stuff in the little blue tube). That stuff will flat out hold, easily for a month. Problem is, things get a little malodorous when you have something stuck on your head for that long, so you have to go back after a couple weeks. The great news, however, is that you can buy the same stuff off the web, get your pieces from TopLace, and remove it as often as you want, all at a tiny fraction of the price of the clubs. Well, at least it's a tiny fraction compared to what I used to pay, but maybe I was taken a little harder than most.

Oh, and as for how they get away with it, I think the key to their "success" almost always lies in our own ignorance. Think about it -- you walk in, they talk a mile a minute, and make something that is outrageously simple sound like rocket science. They sit you down in a chair, usually facing away from a mirror, make all kinds of measurements, create a template, and use a bunch of over the top terminology to describe a piece of fabric with hair tied into it. Most of us wind up thinking, at least initially, "Wow, this is the greatest thing ever and I could never do this on my own." Well, websites and forums like this one are bringing an end to all that. There's nothing that they can provide or do that you can't accomplish on your own in the hairwearing game. You can get pieces of equal or better quality right here at toplace at a fraction of the cost, and you can buy every kind of attachment product known to man either through Debbie or a couple of other reputable suppliers, and you can find somebody to cut the thing in for less than 100 bucks (and sometimes much less). All they can provide you is convenience, but at a price that is through the roof.