Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
waldos update
10-14-2011, 10:17 AM,
waldos update
hello everyone, tought i would give you guys a little update on my situation, and hopefully get some tips on the issues i have encountered so far.

so i have been wearing for about 2-3 weeks now. overall things are good, definitely made the right decision. that realisation is already worth alot i think. i already look alot better and feel alot more confident. i feel like my old self, like i was ment to look. and thats a great feeling.

i still havent got the piece cut in yet, because im still so fascinated and obsessed about having hair that looking like a caveman is not a problem at all right now haha.

now heres the issues i was hoping some of you guys might be able to help me with:

- my bonds last very short. after 2-3 days the piece can be pulled off with moderate force. now i know nobody will ever pull my hair but im really paranoid and i would like it to be really safe, like real hair.

- i cant wash my hair without the piece debonding. i use activa aqua bond, wich claims to provide 2-3 weeks hold. sadly for me its more like 4-5 days at best. gonna order some other glues in hopes of finding a better alternative. or am i maybe using too little glue? i just put glue on the outer edge of the hairpiece area, leaving some glueless space in the middle. and how much glue should i use? i use kind of a thin layer because im afraid of getting that plate feeling if i use too much.

- how can i avoid my hairline looking like a mess? i will probably improve my technique over time but maybe im doing something wrong, because i always get hairs glued to my forehead, rather than them sticking out like they should.

man... now that i think about it, not being able to wash my hair without having to spend 2 hours peeling off glue residue from my scalp and the piece in order to reattach is actually very restricting and frustrating.

hopefully i can figure these couple of things out in the long run. last attachment was 2 days ago, gonna have to reattach right now bc im itchy and oily all over my head from working out.

the things we do in order to look normal eh!

cheers guys, you have already been really really helpful,
share a little more wisdom with this newbie
10-14-2011, 11:42 AM,
RE: waldos update
Ok, I can't advise you on glues or tapes because I've only found one that works for me and that Oil Resistant White Glue.
To get the easiest attachment on the front hairline I do the following:
I position the piece where I want it on my head.
I flip the front up exposing the lace base.
Using something like an eyebrow pencil I make two small marks (dots) on the the lace base and then matching corresponding dots on my head.
That way I can take the piece off & on & always put it back in the exact same place.
With the dots matched up and the hair piece on my head, I take a comb and use the teeth to press all along the front hairline of the lace, leaving indents on my scalp.
I then have an exact line of where the front hairline lace meets my forehead.
I put 2 layers of the ORWG all along that line.
Eventually the indented line disappears.
When the second layer of glue is dry (about 15 mins) I put the piece back on my head, matching up the placement dots.
I then use the comb to push the lace down into the glue until it disappears.

By doing the above, you don't 'over-shoot' the line or get surplus on the hair or your forehead.
It should be an exact match.
I like to cut the lace front right back to the hairline, but if you save a couple of millimetres of lace in front of the hairs, you should avoid sticking the hairs down on to your forehead.

I hope all that makes sense and helps a bit.
10-14-2011, 12:14 PM,
(10-14-2011, 11:42 AM)Hersute Wrote: Ok, I can't advise you on glues or tapes because I've only found one that works for me and that Oil Resistant White Glue.
To get the easiest attachment on the front hairline I do the following:
I position the piece where I want it on my head.
I flip the front up exposing the lace base.
Using something like an eyebrow pencil I make two small marks (dots) on the the lace base and then matching corresponding dots on my head.
That way I can take the piece off & on & always put it back in the exact same place.
With the dots matched up and the hair piece on my head, I take a comb and use the teeth to press all along the front hairline of the lace, leaving indents on my scalp.
I then have an exact line of where the front hairline lace meets my forehead.
I put 2 layers of the ORWG all along that line.
Eventually the indented line disappears.
When the second layer of glue is dry (about 15 mins) I put the piece back on my head, matching up the placement dots.
I then use the comb to push the lace down into the glue until it disappears.

By doing the above, you don't 'over-shoot' the line or get surplus on the hair or your forehead.
It should be an exact match.
I like to cut the lace front right back to the hairline, but if you save a couple of millimetres of lace in front of the hairs, you should avoid sticking the hairs down on to your forehead.

I hope all that makes sense and helps a bit.

I would also add, when prepping to attach the front, I fold about 2 inches of the lace over, and spray mist the front hairs and brush them back. This keeps the hair away from the glue during attachment.
10-14-2011, 07:58 PM,
Hi Waldo..... I had a look [Googled] the glue you mentioned.....seems like a pretty strong one so my guess is you`re not applying enough coats [ without reading the instructions I`m taking a guess] but most glues need to be applied THINLY [ vital!! ] and allowed to `cure`properly time-wise, before applying the next coat. It`s a common thing for newbies to either literally trowel it on, and then press the lace down onto the still-wet glue, leading to it going through the lace and coating the bottom of the hair shafts and then drying into clumps---a big `No-No`! --- or otherwise, not applying sufficient to provide a proper hold...it`s a balancing act and one I`m sure you`ll perfect in time. The glues are basically 2 types.... water-based or acrylic, and depending on your body physiology, one type may work better than another for you..... when you have done a `proper`bond, moisture from showering etc. should not cause problems in the early days of your bond......certainly after a week [ at the very least] the bond may begin to weaken [again depending on how the glue is reacting to your body/lifestyle etc] Have you tried using a combination of a strong tape inside your perimeter and a good glue at the very edge? Many people who work out find a combination of the two gives a better hold.... you`re on the learning curve right now which we all go through.....try one of the acrylic glues as an alternative but the one you have seems good...try adding 3 layers/coats and see if that helps before spending more money on more products.... it`s quite possible that you`re not applying sufficient..... but it`s VITAL to apply your coats evenly and thinly allowing sufficient time for each layer to practically go dry..they should be almost dry before applying the next layer....this will give a good foundation for the lace to bed into and you will then have very few issues....hope that helps... Paul.
10-14-2011, 09:25 PM,
i use the same glue and i get a 4 to 6 week hold. So i believe you need to apply more layers, instead of one tiny. I use a minimum of 2 layers, but mainly 3 and i paint it on the whole area for the best attachment, that means on my whole head.

So maybe you just need to use more glue and maybe not just on the edges. And let him dry for 5 min at each layer, befor you attach the piece.

If this doesnt help, then the glue doesnt work with your bodychemistry, so you have to try a other adhesive.

And btw. wait a day between a fresh attachment and a shower.
10-15-2011, 11:32 AM,
I agree with the others- you probably aren't getting a thick enough layer of glue to ensure a strong bond.

I made this mistake when I was just getting started. Everyone said "THIN THIN THIN" coats of glue, which is correct, but they failed to mention that you have to make sure you get enough of those thin coats of glue for the lace to have something to adhere to. The problem isn't with going too thick, the problem is applying any individual coat so thick that it has a problem drying. Several (at least 3 with most glues) thin coats with adequate drying time in between each will ensure a strong bond, even with white glues.
10-15-2011, 04:13 PM,
hey is this aqua bond supposed to be stronger than ultra hold and orwg?
someone here said they get a 6 week hold from that? That is INSANE
10-15-2011, 06:32 PM,
I just did a Google search on it again and came up with this http://www.hairdirect.com/store/Aquabond...e-1Oz.aspx
I note the application instructions state `Apply a thin coat to the scalp only ..allow to dry until tacky and attach system`.....that`s the first time I ve seen instructions advising one coat is sufficient.....it also says a bond/hold time of 2 weeks is possible, depending on the usual things/factors. I`d advise any wearer not to go for really prolonged bonds, for several reasons, not least of which is health.. even if you only do a perimeter bond [as opposed to all-over or partially across the center of the scalp] the skin under the tape/glue is trying to exude sweat/oils etc. and is also shedding tiny bits of skin......bacteria and sweat build-up will eventually cause irritation/itching etc. at the very least...in my humble opinion you should aim to develop a regular de/re-attach and scalp-cleaning care routine, to avoid such issues. Waiting until the glues etc. begin to fail will give you more of a mess to clean up too---some of the products can literally be good/strong one day, and overnight , turn into a gooey mess leaving you with a big clean-up job requiring loads of time and effort..... keep your wearing as simple as possible....that`s just my 2-cents worth anyway... Paul.
10-15-2011, 07:23 PM,
This is the glue we are talking about (ACTIV Aqua Bond 3):
http://www.gfh-hair.de/Seiten/haarersatz...nding.html

and translated into engisch:
http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=...nding.html

I buy it from a german company called GFH.

btw i never got skin irritations, so i believe he is really harmless.

My min duration is 2 weeks and my max 7 weeks, but this is a mess.
But as i said i use 2-3layers and on my whole head.

i reatach the front every 4-5 days because i expose my hairline very very often, but the rest is atached for several weeks
10-16-2011, 10:48 AM,
so is the aqua bond on hairdirect and the active aqua bond 3 two different products?