Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for pre hair cap/hat wearers
10-13-2011, 11:06 AM,
Question for pre hair cap/hat wearers
Ok so this goes to all guys that used to wear caps before getting their system. So I am hoping to get a system soon. Now I have been wearing a baseball cap for going on fifteen years now. I mean everywhere. Only close family members have seen me without my cap, not sure how I am gonna explain not wearing one all of a sudden without friends, coworkers knowing I am wearing. I am gonna try to see if i can get a system that i can cut kinda as short as i possibly can so won't be all of a sudden i have long hair. Just want to get some feedback from guys that used to always wear a cap/hat before they started wearing and how they explained it off. Thanks.
10-13-2011, 01:11 PM,
RE: Question for pre hair cap/hat wearers
Tell em you're a Chia Pet .. you just added water ! Smile

Just kidding. But when I was at the hair convention, several hair wearers
talked about their first experiences wearing hair ...people didn't exactly
know what was different. One guy said, "People told me, I was looking
younger ... did you go on a vacation or get a face lift ?" .... Another guy
said, 'People liked his new haircut' ... not realizing he had no hair before ! Smile
One guy was asked, "Don't you normally wear a hat ?"

Wear your hat with your piece on. Start acclimating them to seeing hair under
the hat. Lots of long haired guys and gals wear hats because their real hair
is a mess. It's pretty accepted. And believe me, people aren't that observant! Smile
10-13-2011, 01:20 PM,
Hi,
This is similar to my situation where i went from being bald (horseshoe ring on sides) to wearing a piece.But even though people i knew could see i now had hair it looked good and matched my existing hair,and i have plenty of grey in it to match my age,and low density.Many of those same people are so used to me now with hair,they couldn't imagine me without hair.

I think if you get a realistic density,and it matches your own hair,then a short style would work when you start going without the cap.You could even wear the cap sometimes over your piece,and other times leave the cap off,just so people don't see a big change quickly,or just leave the cap off,if the piece looks good people don't care,they are busy with there own lives.

Regards topcat.
10-13-2011, 01:27 PM,
Lol at the chia pet one there Count. Actually forgot to add the question bout wearing the cap after I get my piece. My back and side regular hair is fine, just hairline to top of head real thin/bald, so probably will go with wearing cap if it does not make hair look for lack of better word wiggy when I remove the cap.
10-13-2011, 04:51 PM,
You would be surprised at just how little attention people pay to things like this. If you are worried about it, wear the hat for awhile off and on even after you get your hair looking the way you want it. Another trick that can help throw people off is to change it up with a bandana. That way it starts to give a peek of your hair but it's less dramatic of a transition.
10-14-2011, 12:33 AM,
Its a tough one I would go with wearing a cap and wig to lessen the change a bit.

I've never worn a cap since losing my hair I always covered it with concealer and keeping it long.

And I have the same concerns even though my piece will be small and mixed in with my other hair I'm still concerned about the change of appearance.
10-14-2011, 01:07 AM,
I got away with concealer for a good ten years until I
got a bad batch of prothik, which one day, dissolved
whatever real hair I had left on the top of my head.

I used them all: Couvre, Derm (whatever), The Ron Propeil
product (GL ?) .... You name it .... The canned sprays available never
have the consistency from one batch to another ... so the dark brown
you spray on your dark or medium brown hair, will come out copper .
or worse still .... this dusty, sandy stuff that they put in to give the
sprayed hair bulk.

Am I grateful for the sprays and concealers? Definitely ... Because
this was way before Toplace showed up and the only option was
the hair clubs .... and dropping ten grand a year on my hair was not
a viable option. Are they messy? Certainly are! Everything in my
apartment would get covered with that dark soot ... My pillows,
shirts .... If you scratched your head, you'd have dirty fingernails ....

And letting a girl run her fingers through your shellacked head ??? ....
FORGETABOUT IT !!!

You have to weigh the options. Shaving my head back then wasn't
'IN' like it is today ... (of course, you have to have an attractive
dome underneath to get away with that look ... ).
10-14-2011, 07:02 AM,
(10-14-2011, 12:33 AM)standbyme Wrote: And I have the same concerns even though my piece will be small and mixed in with my other hair I'm still concerned about the change of appearance.

I know it's important for most people that others don't know what you are up to, but trust me on this- you can get away with MUCH more that you think you can. If you are currently wearing concealers and can't see bright, shiny scalp, if anyone notices a change they will probably assume that you started using a new shampoo that is making your hair look healthier, or that you went to a stylist and got a great new cut.

This is especially true for someone who is only replacing a small amount of hair.
10-14-2011, 07:35 AM,
I just hope the colour match is a good one as my hair is a mixture of browns and grey, that concerns me the most.
10-14-2011, 09:58 AM,
Thanks all for the advice. Think I will go with wearing the baseball hat at first and just start removing it once in awhile till I just do away with it. People that see me without my cap say I make more of it then I should, that it's not that bad however I have been wearing a cap forever (it seems) and just real self conscious bout it. Every summer for past 10 years I have been saying I was just gonna shave it off or I used to tell everyone was gonna shave it for for that St. Baldricks thing they do for kids with cancer on St. Paddys day but not sure what my bald head would look like, might be horrible lol.
Side note on systems, if toplaces are really good at looking real why do you still see some people that look like they got their piece back in the 70's? I work with a guy who just last week got a piece and it's the Worst hairpiece I have ever seen, it looks like he threw a cat on his head. Just don't understand why if systems today look so real and are reasonably priced some peoples look soooo bad, what would be point of wearing em.