Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
paul, anty, jrob and all other vets.. please help
10-10-2011, 02:10 PM,
paul, anty, jrob and all other vets.. please help
Im making my shopping bag of all the things i need. my system should be here in a couple of weeks and its almost time to order the things i need. if anything is missing please remind me. and if you have any preferences or tried what im going to buy then please give me your opinion and if you know a good place to order these things from. thanks..

adhesive- ORWG and perma rite #15
*tape- Any suggestions?
pro touch adjust a bond
*shampoo?
*wash off conditioner?
leave in conditioner- Im deciding on either this http://www.amazon.com/Revlon-Equave-Phas...roduct_top or maybe enhance? i think thats what paul was reccommending? i could be mistaken.
*adhesive remover?
also is the c22 solvent thing worth getting or not?
*knott sealer?
also im going to get this. http://www.hairdirect.com/store/Axis-New-Again-8oz.aspx have you guys tried using this before?

basically all i know for sure on is the glues, the adjust a bond, the leave in conditioner and a knot sealer.

please help me guys. I have a feeling i am forgetting something else too.
10-10-2011, 11:39 PM,
RE: paul, anty, jrob and all other vets.. please help
Hi Elvis... sensible to prepare and have your supplies to hand before the system arrives. I used to use the Equave 2-phase conditioner and still have a large bottle of it.... I did find a little build-up with it over time, so I found / tried `Enhance` and was/am happier with it. I washed my latest system yesterday but didn`t condition it...... I`m going to use the Revlon one today and `monitor`it over the next week or so. I had a look at the `Axis` product...seems good but quite pricey ? I see the `Enhance`conditioner available there too and very reasonably-priced.... I`d get 2 bottles of that and that should help maintain you hair nicely. There are a myriad of bonding products available there too.... you might like to stick in a bottle of `Adjust-a-bond` which can be handy for keeping glue from setting while you position your system....it`s cheap too. Get 2 bottles of `Lace-release`[the pump-action bottle] and the C22 is good for `messy`clean-ups as it`s citrus-based..... the `Pure`glue melter is what I usually use, and keep the Citrus one as my heavy-artillery! Knot-sealer is on your list...... just add a shampoo and conditioner too...did you see the Bluemax one / They have it there in a little 3-step travel pack....that`s what I`ve been using and JRob was involved in formulating/producing it...... it`s good, if a little `pricey` compared to others....they have a huge range on that site for sure. Walker no-shine is a good [quite strong] tape with an easy clean-up. I`d also get a roll or two of the red tape [Sensitac it`s called] ..it`s very easy to work with and is for short-term holds...... I use it for just daily use but tends to be shiny ,shows-through on lighter density systems. I guess what I`d advise anyone in your position is to have a selection of at least 3 types of tape [varying strengths] and also order 2 or 3 small bottles of glues so that you can `compare`and see how your body-chemistry /physiology interacts with them....it`s impossible to give absolute rock-solid advice when it comes to bonding products ,as what works well for one wearer ,need not necessarily do the same for the next person...it`s a trial-and-error thing, which is why I wouldn`t buy the biggest size/tubs of glue initially.....you could pay 30-odd$ or more for one tub and then find you can`t use it due to irritation etc.... the Oil resistant white glue seems to have a good reputation among wearers and is great for those with very oily scalps.... I hope you can get more specific information from others ...I`m a bit `limited` on that score as I don`t really use a lot of glue and have a large tub to hand which I have for ages ..haven`t needed to order any different ones as the one I use [`Tracksafe`] seems to not be generally widely available--well maybe it IS but it`s sold under a different name[ ? ] but it `agrees`with my skin and I still have a huge tub here. You could spend a fortune on hair-care products ..... Debbie has a decent selection of bonding and cleaning products at very reasonable prices too... I got 3 bottles of `Enhance` from HD some time ago but delivery was with U.P.S. which added considerably to the cost..... I`ve since discovered a supplier nearer to home and will get it from there next time...... I think with so many different products on the HD site, it can get a bit confusing.... I tend to be like a kid in a candy store when I browse sites like that so I tend to avoid them !! :-) Cheers, Paul.
10-11-2011, 03:37 AM,
Thanks paul!! you have taken me so far along in my future wearing days.. you have no idea how much i appreciate your time.
ok so....

adhesive- ORWG and perma rite #15
tape- walker no shine, red tape and...
pro touch adjust a bond
bluemax shampoo and onditioner
leave in conditioner- Enhance (2bottles)
adhesive remover- should i go with pure or protouch adhesive remover???
cleanup- c22 solvent
pure glue melter
Lace-release[the pump-action bottle] 2 bottles
knot-sealer
i really feel like buying this. whats your take on this. Natural sheen http://www.hairdirect.com/store/Natural-Sheen.aspx
*hair gel??
*mousse??

whats the strongest tape for the longest hold that doesnt give a shine?
also, paul.. in another thread i asked about an issue im foreseeing. I plan on using gel on my hair everyday.. and washing it off ever night. It doesnt have to be washed with shampoo or anything.. will this cause any issues?
also is there any particular type of mousse and gel i have to buy, if so, can you tell me where i can buy them? or can i juts use the gels im currently using?

last question, whats protouch no sweat? any good? and how about scalp protector.. should i get that?
10-11-2011, 04:57 AM,
I find protouch increases hold but you have to uses a very small amount or it will mess up glues when you apply them. Also it make clean up harder. I recommend it for just the front hairline area to help stop lifting.

Scalp protector....I'm starting to think it's just a gimmick. I've never got extended hold from it or noticed any benefit. Some have reported it helps, others say it actually reduces hold time. It leads me to believs it's pretty innaffective. At least for me it did nothing .
10-11-2011, 04:57 AM,
I find protouch increases hold but you have to uses a very small amount or it will mess up glues when you apply them. Also it make clean up harder. I recommend it for just the front hairline area to help stop lifting.

Scalp protector....I'm starting to think it's just a gimmick. I've never got extended hold from it or noticed any benefit. Some have reported it helps, others say it actually reduces hold time. It leads me to believs it's pretty innaffective. At least for me it did nothing .
10-11-2011, 05:11 AM,
hairenough. which protouch.. you mean the adhesive remover? do you think i should get oure then instead?
also.. should i leave out the scalp protector and get protouch no sweat? i need something for humid weather. are you in humid weather?

also, whats your take on this? http://www.hairdirect.com/store/Natural-Sheen.aspx

its called natural sheen by nearly natural

whats this 99% alcohol stuff? am i supposed to buy that? im already buying lace release and protuch adhesive remover.
10-11-2011, 06:55 AM,
Hello again elvis..... glad to be of help..... I`m no Guru/expert, but simply relate back my own experiences to date, and also I draw on posts/threads left by many wearers on here over time, as I know how daunting this leap can be for many contemplating it, so just happy to help shed a bit of light on it....... Protouch is more or less like an under-arm anti-perspirant...... personally I`m not keen on such products ....deodorants work in a different way to anti-perspirants [which basically stop pores from releasing sweat ] so I prefer using deodorants, and for that reason I wouldn`t like to apply anything like that to my head..but that`s just me. You can see some comments on `protouch` here: http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_po...h-no-sweat
You refer to `Adhesive remover` in your list above--- that`s simply `Pure `glue melter...so just get a bottle or two of that and your Citrus one for more stubborn residues ....the `Pure` is simply an alcohol as is Lace-release....those two products will never go amiss in your cupboard so I`d buy 2 of each to start you off....you`ll be using them frequently and they won`t go to waste. I have `Scalp protector` but I`ve never used it ..again it`s pretty cheap and won`t go amiss in case you have an issue with any oils/sweating when you are doing your bond. There are a lot of styling gels etc. on the same site which you`ve been browsing.... I`m not much of a user of them... I have in the past used Lòreal `Invisifix`gel ....I`ve looked at the ingredients and nothing jumps out at me as being a big no-no for system hair and I`ve never had any adverse effects from it...what I like is that it does not build-up and will simply comb/brush out without any flaky residue at the end of the day....it`s available widely in Ireland, so you should be able to pick it up easily enough..... it`s the one on the right in the page here: http://www.topvalueonline.co.uk/category...2&mid=1417 The one on the left is the same thing only stronger I think. Some people report irritation from `Supertape` ...it`s a very strong tape ..try a roll and see how you get on with it..... Walker no-shine is pretty strong giving at least a week and longer, but for a very long hold Blue lace rolls are very strong.. I have seen people having clean-up problems with some of the stronger glues and tapes ... I honestly feel that a week is long enough for a bond.... towards the end of a prolonged bond/wear, products can be fine one night and by next morning, can have degenerated into a sticky mess giving a big headache when trying to clean up...it`s a temptation to leave the thing on your head when you have a good nice bond, but it can re-bound on you.....anyway, I reckon just from the point of view of cleanliness and health of your scalp, it`s better to do a more regular de-bond and cleanse the scalp properly to wash off any build-up of sweat and microscopic skin particles which we all lose daily --bacteria lurks there and will thrive in any dampness trapped under tapes/glues....I know many wearers go for prolonged bonds and they get on fine with that, but personally, having done that before [courtesy of a hair-club] I began to get scalp irritation and skin breakage--had to apply sudocrem and plasters over the affected area to heal it so don`t want to experience that again......cheers for now, Paul.
10-11-2011, 07:34 AM,
paul, is this the one ur talking about? http://www.hairdirect.com/store/Pure-Adh...r-4Oz.aspx

so i should drop protouch adhesive remover and just get pure and the c22 solvent??
im also dropping protouch no sweat.. and il just get scalp protector.

what should i use to cleanse the scalp? shampoo and conditioner is fine right? i noticed a lot of the shampoos on hairdirect do have sls in them? i thought we cant use those? Cant i just use my normald shampoo and conditioner then? if not, then what ingredients am i supposed to ginore? or do i just get shampoo for color treated hair?
also u forgot to answer this.. unless you're not too sure?

'I plan on using gel on my hair everyday.. and washing it off ever night. It doesnt have to be washed with shampoo or anything.. will this cause any issues?'
10-11-2011, 08:52 AM,
Yeah that`s the one..but it`s just a matter of choice on your part....you were looking to order C22 citrus solvent...well the protouch is basically the same thing ..no point in duplicating your removal products.... have one Citrus-based one and one `ordinary` [alcohol one] such as `Pure` and you`re good to go. Lace -release to free your system initially, then use `Pure`or C22 depending on how tough the residue is. You can use your normal shampoo and conditioner on your head with the system removed.....use your `special` ones for your system. I suggested the Lòreal gel so you could avoid nightly washing as it simply combs out ..... I presume if you use a gel bought from that site, it will simply rinse out without the need for shampoos.....Paul.
10-11-2011, 10:53 AM,
oh cool.. so i can rinse my har everyday with water with no issues? just not shampoo it? i was planning on rinsing the gel out anyway.. not shampooing it out. do you have a preference for shampoo and wash out conditioner for my system? thanks again paul.. uve made my ordering much easier.
sorry for the trouble. no more questions after this

btw, i was thinking about this gel. do u think this is fine? http://www.amazon.com/Professionnel-Tecn...B003764OME