Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So many anti-wig people on forums
10-03-2011, 11:09 AM,
RE: So many anti-wig people on forums
ive had a hair transplant.. im unhappy with the results.. but im happy that it made me accept wearing (although i havent started, but have placed my custompiece order)
the reason it made me accept was because it made me realize that ive tried everything and it has all failed.. and wearing a system is the last resort i have to find happiness or else il just have to embrace balding at such a young age.. or kill my self.. which i would never do. Also i would have to wear eventually to cover up the hair i lose behind the tansplants. When you know you only have 1 option.. it makes things so much easier for you. Thats why i dont mind having spent all that money on 2 transplants... Its worth every penny if i can be positive and not hesitent about wearing. After all the pain and hardwork i went through over the last 3 years i think im ready for the system too. its like this was all training to be able to adjust to accept wearing and the cons that may come with it.

plus.. i also feel i deserve hair now.. and not just 30% of what i had that comes from a transplant.. but hair even better than what i had.. healthy looking hair that is realistic looking enough to get away with

I went through hours upon hours of concealers.. months of hiding after getting transpkants etc etc etc. wearing a cap pretty often.. im just lucky my hairloss is not even a smidge noticable to anyone.. the concealers made things look so full i think that when i get a piece people will think im actually losing hair lol.
10-03-2011, 09:21 PM,
we all know the overwhelming reason most folk don’t wear, despite the "fact “hair systems are mature and fantastic, is society’s perception, the ridicule, this way of thinking is way behind the times, hair systems have moved on, perceptions have remained stuck in the dark ages.
its far more acceptable to wear as a woman,but the real problem is men are expected to bite the bullet and shave it off aND get on with it,

when did you last see a fly on the wall documentary on wearing,
I’m sure there are folk out there who wear openly and don’t give a jot,
is wearing big news, if you’re a celeb yes,

I’m not original in stating this we need, society needs to get over the dated wig perception.
and embrace the way we live in the 21st century.
would I have worn hair in the 70's 80's no way,they looked hideous,(to young then anyway)
offcourse there are still folk who wear terrible pieces today,mostly old folk.
they don’t care? that’s a backward statement, they wear because they care to a degree
maybe they think well people know I wear why pretend I don’t and why bother buying a really good piece, the cats out of the bag,
but surely when you see, correction you don’t, when someone confides in you they wear, because they’d have to now , as you’d never know,
it gotta start of serious debate as to,why not wear when it looks like real hair, it bloody is,lol
really you would have folk pondering,feck his hair looks bloody fantastic,
I v only ever once met a wearer and that was a advisor with advanced hair studio about 2 yrs ago,i was flabbergasted at how his hair looked, it was well just a "normal looking head of hair".
he showed me pics of him on hol, before and after,

just because you wear hair it doesn’t automatically look like a wigg.it doesn’t have to really!!!!!!
change you’re mind set,
embrace today, modern living , new changing attitudes,

I’m watching the wright stuff ch5, tony blackburns a panellist on the show,
everyone knows he wears, a full piece, but it looks ridiculous, the nape sticks out,
there’s just something that draws you’re attention to it,
he was in I’m a celebrity get me out of here,

tony for god sake,if you’re gonna wear wear it well, set a example,
anty Smile
10-05-2011, 09:07 PM,
I've also noticed on hairloss forums, and particularly posts from transplant surgeons (that can sort of be expected) that they put down hair peices for some reason. In a way I'm kind of happy about the perception - it draws attention away from what illusion we try to pull off, but at the same time I'm unhappy that so many suffering hairloss don't see it as an option.

I don't see hair transplants as an option. Its a large upfront cost.. but who knows how far your hairloss will progress? Then its worthless, a total waste of money.. unless you transplant again - more money. The surgeons say about ongoing costs with hair peices, but what I see is

- Instant solution to a problem that can emotionally affect men/women
- Ability to don hairstyles you'd never get with a transplant
- A more managable financial contribution to hairloss

..I'm 24 and a student, theres no way I can afford a HT. I can afford a hairpeice though, and I can bet that my hair is going to look great - or at the very least least better than it would be with a hair transplant.
10-05-2011, 10:52 PM,
(10-05-2011, 09:07 PM)fate Wrote: I've also noticed on hairloss forums, and particularly posts from transplant surgeons (that can sort of be expected) that they put down hair peices for some reason. In a way I'm kind of happy about the perception - it draws attention away from what illusion we try to pull off, but at the same time I'm unhappy that so many suffering hairloss don't see it as an option.

I don't see hair transplants as an option. Its a large upfront cost.. but who knows how far your hairloss will progress? Then its worthless, a total waste of money.. unless you transplant again - more money. The surgeons say about ongoing costs with hair peices, but what I see is

- Instant solution to a problem that can emotionally affect men/women
- Ability to don hairstyles you'd never get with a transplant
- A more managable financial contribution to hairloss

..I'm 24 and a student, theres no way I can afford a HT. I can afford a hairpeice though, and I can bet that my hair is going to look great - or at the very least least better than it would be with a hair transplant.

Yes I suppose its a natural thing for HT doc's to be anti wig, although having said that I had a similiar discussion on another hairloss website and a HT doc actually stated that a HT is the last resort which I thought was a much more balanced way of looking at it.

Most doc's are balanced in their view and understand having (lets face it) non essential surgery is a huge decision and shouldnt be taken lightly. And most HT patients have a similar view. But unfortunatly there are those who seem to take pride in knocking wigs.

Most people will understand that its an individual choice, some wouldnt dream of wearing a wig and others couldnt face a hair transplant.

My problem was continually looking at ht pictures and looking in awe at them thinking that could be me, unless you have booked your ht then its probably an unhealthy thing to do. Plus you only tend to look and think about the great results and forget the poor ones. Plus I'm sure a lot who recieve poor results wouldnt post their pictures anyway so you can get an unbalanced view of results.

I guess I am in a similiar position to a previous poster who had HT's. I cant help but wonder what my results might be, if they werent good well at least I tried and I agree with him at least he knows hes done everything he can and tried all options, I havent so I still have that nagging thought in my head.

At least if I do start wearing my hairline piece I am doing something positive and I wont have to look back in 5 years (if I hadnt had a HT by then) and think 'thats another 5 years with crappy hair', because the chances are even if I had a good HT the results would be similar to my hair piece anyway.
10-06-2011, 08:26 AM,
@Standbyme

I like the idea of a doctor who can think objectively like that. As for HT's though, in my personal circumstances, even if I had the money it wouldn't work.

My balding pattern at present is Norwood IV - with incredible side/temple recession.. even if I had all the money in the world I don't think HTs would help me in the long run.. it might give me decent hair for today - but my balding pattern will continue, and my results will have been for nothing.. I guess thats why I seem a little anti-ht - but I can understand for some it'd be a different case.

As for wearing, your thinking is on the right track IMO. I don't think people should suffer hair loss a moment longer if its affecting them as much as it has me. What makes me angry is the greedy kind of doctors or the ignorant who bash wearing peices and misinform. Making it seem really unviable and maybe removing it as a possibility from those suffering hairloss; taking their word as fact and being damned to it for another who knows how long.
10-06-2011, 11:12 AM,
To each their own as far as I am concerned. My thinking, is that I think you get a better head of hair with a system than a transplant. Personally, I find it very easy to see a hair transplant when I see someone's hairline. Not that care at all if someone has a HT. But if I can avoid the pain of a HT and I get a better head of hair with a system, thats what I choose.
10-18-2011, 06:08 AM,
I found everyone on other general balding forums to be quite anti system. The perception is that wigs are comical and silly and look terrible, I have a friend more hapy to comb over his thinning hair ("stylishly" into a mohawk type spiky look) than consider using concealer or a system.

I must admit, when I first started looking for solutions online and first came across a system I smiled and thought "wow people still buy wigs?!?!" but as i looked through the options of drugs and surgery I noticed that the results were just poor. I tried minox and it sent me dizzy.

It then clicked with me - there are two options: Medical or cosmetic and the world of cosmetics has much much more stable results because its so much easier to achieve. Its like trying to ask real scientists to create a working star ship enterprise. Its never going to be as advanced and impressive as what Hollywood can fake!

We can look instantly great with full hair for a small price. End of. Big Grin