Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
got everything here - having second toughts
09-24-2011, 11:16 PM,
got everything here - having second toughts
ok guys,

so mailman just came by, brought all the stuff i ordered. however im having second toughts... i dont feel like the lace is invisible at all, and the hair of the stock piece is very curly. the color is spot on though, i feel like it blends in really really well color wise. on the one hand im really excited on the other hand im kind of scared and unsure of this step. if the piece doesnt look absolutely perfect, thats fine. my current hair is a catastrophe, so in that sense things can only improve. but theres the obvious fear of being spotted, and that feeling of running around with fake hair... i dont know.

how did you guys cope with the initial anxiety?

oh and a small list of my supplies, anything important im missing?
- activ super solvent
- activ aqua bond
- some tape
- scalp protector
09-24-2011, 11:49 PM,
RE: got everything here - having second toughts
Stocks are a `standard` item with a standard bodywave. The lace will be invisible once it`s sitting onto glue or tape ....if it wasn`t, we`d all be busted daily. I suggest you give it a gentle shampoo /wash to remove factory residues and this will also `relax`the hair curl. You might have to do that more than once. Blot it dry with a towel and gently brush the hair ..allow to dry naturally. This will help it to `settle`..... you`d be surprised how it will look different after a week or two of wearing. You may get parts of the perimeter not sitting down properly...this is due to the stock not being made to the exact shape of your head.....custom is the only way to avoid this, though some guys find a stock can be a perfect fit. You need to get proper shampoo /conditioner [i.e. sulfate-free] for system hair. Debbie carries them and also knot-sealer to seal the knots and prevent shedding. Dryness is a major problem with system hair .....a good leave-in conditioner used daily on damp hair will be worth the money in helping your system last a longer time. Did you get lace-release to free your system from the tape/glue? The only regret practically all wearers have is that they waited so long before taking this step, so you`ll be no different within a short space of time. Anything has to be better than what you have now by the sounds of it....regards, Paul.
09-25-2011, 01:33 AM,
I have to agree with Paul on everything he has said.
Some guys take wearing in their stride and others get quite anxious about it.
The important thing is that you get comfortable about it BEFORE testing it out on others.
If its a big step for you (& it sounds like it is) then you should consider taking some time out when you can be alone for say a long weekend.
You have to build your own confidence up. If you try it and you can see you look better, you will have a better grounding for facing others.
Start alone, then family, then with close friends and then work, strangers etc. and so forth.
The most likely give-a-way will be your attitude and not the replacement hair itself.
You won't get used to it over night, but you will be more comfortable about it every day that you carry on.
Knowing you look better is the biggest boost. You will be surprised when you get compliments and this will add to your confidence. Those compliments will be from people that notice you're looking good, but they won't know why. There are hundreds of posts from guys that have experienced EXACTLY that.
Getting a good fit & attachment can be a trial at the very start (for some) so you might want to consider getting it done professionally in the initial stages, with a good cut-in.
It can really help to talk to someone that knows their stuff and give you advice, rather than being alone and struggling and possibly getting worked up about it.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
PS. I just want to check that you do know that units come with surplus lace at the front which you cut back? Some cut it right up to the hairline and others leave a few millimetres in front of the hair.
09-25-2011, 06:46 AM,
The first time you see a hairpiece it is normal to look at it and think "How is THIS going to work?"

You have to remember that it will look a whole lot different when it is attached and cut. If it is a stock unit it has six inches of hair and you will probably be cutting most of that off. The curl is also going to look wiggy and tight until it is brushed out.

As for the lace not looking like it will disappear on your skin....both french and swiss lace will disappear well on skin but it must be sitting in an adhesive to make it completely invisible. That's why if you expose hairline you have to make sure that you maintain your attachment.

If you want to get more comfortable with it I would recommend brushing the hair out and chopping off some of the excess length. If the hair is going to be, say 2 inches on the style you are looking to achieve, cut it down to 3 inches. This will allow you to start to see that underneath all of that hair the unit is actually pretty light and delicate. A lot of people are terrified of doing anything to the unit so this will also get you used to handling the hair comfortable with making alterations. Just take it slow and make sure that you err on the side of caution by leaving some excess hair.
09-25-2011, 06:56 AM,
JRob makes a valid point and one which I`ve remarked on before....when the systems first pop out of the envelope, it can be scary...you`ll wonder HOW the hell will this ever look anything like a normal head of hair. Don`t worry....under that long hair is a perfectly good system...all it needs is a decent cut-in. Once the `bounce`leaves it , the hair will behave as required. Paul.
09-25-2011, 08:56 PM,
alright guys thanks alot for the tips and encouragement! after experimenting a little with the piece and glue etc i think its safe to say its gonna look absolutely fantastic. the lace really does dissapear completely with glue and the hair looks and feels absolutely real. surprisingly the curvature of the stock piece seems to match my head shape perfectly. i will take a nap and then try to get the piece on, and see how i feel. i will look somewhat ridiculous until i get it cut in, but thats what hats are for lol.

how much does the bodywave of a stock piece usually relax? because my hair is pretty straight and at the moment thats the only thing not fitting 100%. every other aspect of the piece is absolutely perfect.