Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Cap Lace
09-21-2011, 05:09 PM,
Full Cap Lace
So I'm a newbie. Haven't ever had a hair system before, and naturally I'm a little scared to take the plunge. So I want to get some of my concerns out of the way. I've read Jrob's blog (glorious blog) and think I'm going to go the full cap road. I have naturally curly hair and think it would be hard to match the curl just right.

So my question is, is French Lace really almost as good as swiss? I read on one post that several people did full cap french lace and hated it, but that seems to be the suggestion to go with french for the first one. Obviously I don't want to get discovered, so if french lace is harder to hide I'd like to know.

Is it possible to go french lace with a sfs lace front? I've got other concerns, but that's a big one.

I'd love to hear more full cap success stories! This forum has been extremely helpful!
09-21-2011, 07:30 PM,
RE: Full Cap Lace
Hi Hair Scare...... I just e mailed John a few days ago to ask if he can check with the factory if they made my latest one using Swiss..it certainly feels as if it is...the texture is smoother and not a bit itchy on the scalp [ I found the French was a little bit itchy for the first 2 weeks or so until it settled in/ was washed etc.] and also the front hairline is practically undetectable when you run your finger over it whereas the French can be [marginally] more so..there`s not a LOT of difference between the two laces and the general wisdom seems to be to go for French for your first one and if your density will be high-ish. You can combine the two if you wish as you asked....have SFS at the front and French for the remainder. French is more robust and will withstand [possible] tugging/pressure at the sideburn areas in particular when de-bonding, but I just `go easy`there and I feel I`ll get my normal life-expectancy from it. To be perfectly honest, if John confirms that this system was actually made using SFS [ and again the difference between the two systems is subtle] well then I think I`d go for SFS on the next order depending on what life-span I get from it. I`ll let you know when John gets back to me.....Paul.
09-22-2011, 04:05 AM,
Thanks! You are always more than helpful on this forum! I'd love to hear back when you know what yours was made of. Obviously it sounds like SFS is the most undetectable. But I don't want it to fall apart after a month. I don't have that kind of money. Haha.

Also, I've read a bit about trouble with ventilation on full caps. What would you suggest I specify when ordering to make sure the ventilation is right? I'm going for a hairstyle probably similar to this for my first one, I'm a little scared to expose too much as a newbie, and this is pretty much the style I have now. (I'll try to attach an image, haven't done it before so I'm sorry if it fails)

Attached Files Image(s)

09-22-2011, 06:21 AM,
(09-22-2011, 04:05 AM)Hair Scare Wrote: Thanks! You are always more than helpful on this forum! I'd love to hear back when you know what yours was made of. Obviously it sounds like SFS is the most undetectable. But I don't want it to fall apart after a month. I don't have that kind of money. Haha.

Also, I've read a bit about trouble with ventilation on full caps. What would you suggest I specify when ordering to make sure the ventilation is right? I'm going for a hairstyle probably similar to this for my first one, I'm a little scared to expose too much as a newbie, and this is pretty much the style I have now. (I'll try to attach an image, haven't done it before so I'm sorry if it fails)

Hey Hair Scare,

I cosign everything that Paul said.

If you do decide to use swiss for the main part of the base, make sure you have the factory reinforce the area where the sideburn meets the ear with an extra layer of swiss lace. With the tugging that is involved during attachment this are tends to fall apart on a swiss lace unit.

I like the style you are shooting for. That would be no problem with a full cap and it would be very easy to wear since you won't have to obsess over the attachment being perfect. As long as the density is reasonably accurate and you get a good stylist to cut it in there's no way people are going to know that's not your real hair. Of course there is always potential for someone to feel the unit, but if it is properly attached and maintained the likelihood of that happening can be reduced as well.

Oh yea, just to let you know I relied to your other question as well.

Good luck and post some pics!
09-22-2011, 06:45 AM,
What would you guys suggest I do for density percent to pull off that look? I'm 24. So I want it thick enough to look like I have a full head of hair, but not too thick to look like a wig. From what I've read the it seams to fluctuate between 65-70.... is that a safe number?
09-22-2011, 09:29 AM,
(09-22-2011, 06:45 AM)Hair Scare Wrote: What would you guys suggest I do for density percent to pull off that look? I'm 24. So I want it thick enough to look like I have a full head of hair, but not too thick to look like a wig. From what I've read the it seams to fluctuate between 65-70.... is that a safe number?

With that length of hair the unit isn't going to look thin even with a lighter density.

I would be careful going any higher than 70% since too much density can cause it to look poofy. 65% would probably be plenty of hair but since you are young it's not going to hurt to have a little more hair so 70% would work just as well.
09-23-2011, 05:12 PM,
Thanks for your help! I think I'll maybe go as far as 70 in the back, then try to suggest a little thinner on sides and a little thinner (like 65) on top. Trying to create an illusion here. Haha.
ALSO, I'm getting close to ordering and realizing I have more questions, ha. Would you guys suggest I go straight hair or bodywave? I read one forum that scared me cuz someone said the bodywave was way curlier than expected. But yet a lot of people seem to order it... thanks!
09-23-2011, 08:04 PM,
John has now confirmed that this new system is in fact French lace...I`m surprised as it feels `lighter`than the previous one .... just goes to show how systems can vary in ways..... I`m used to wearing lace and was pretty much convinced this was Swiss....
I`m sure you`ve had a look at the latest pics I posted showing 55% density.... that is bodywave too and it`s not very noticeable .... it shouldn`t be very curly at all..... if it looks way too curly when it arrives to your home, just contact Toplace...John will be happy to sort any issues out..... a replacement can be ordered if needs be but I too read the post you refer-to and it`s the first time I have seen mention of such an issue....not saying it doesn`t happen or that I disbelieve the person but merely that it`s not a common issue as far as I know, so you should go for bodywave if that`s what you want without any worries. Paul.
09-24-2011, 08:02 AM,
You should be able to use either straight or bodywave for that style. Straight hair might relax a bit to the point where it isn't bone straight. Same with bodywave. Either way styling product is going to be necessary to get the look you want so it isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.

BTW...not sure if you noticed on the post above but I replied to your other question about whether or not you should go with a full cap
09-24-2011, 09:01 AM,
Awesome thanks you guys! Well I think I have the specs down for what I want to go for. I've made a template and will post some pics with that on and would love your advice. You guys help make this transition SO much easier. It's great to have real support.
Also, Paul I was glad to hear yours was French Lace and that you couldn't tell. I was worried the French would be MUCH thicker than the SFS and that it would potentially cause some issues. But it doesn't sound like it's THAT much worse. Thanks for getting back to me!