Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice on how to straighten hair
09-18-2011, 05:44 AM,
Need advice on how to straighten hair
I just got my custom unit about a week ago and noticed it was really wavy, bordering on curly ( I ordered it with just a slight body wave). I figured like with the stock pieces that come with a slight body wave it would straighten out after one or two washes but it hasn't at all. I know relaxers can be really damaging to hair on someone's scalp so I need advice on a product that will straighten the hair on the system without it falling apart. John is a great guy and defintely sells quality systems but I am getting really frustrated with the factory repeadetly making mistakes.
09-18-2011, 05:48 AM,
RE: Need advice on how to straighten hair
You can use hair straighteners as long as you use a protective spray/serum and a bit of care.
09-18-2011, 06:57 AM,
Just a suggestion which you might consider ...you can invest in one of those electric straightening-irons [similar to a curling tongs] They`re not too expensive ...just make sure the hair is well-dampened to protect it from the heat and `go easy` i.e. only apply /use it for a few seconds at a time ... I have used a curling tongs before to get hair at the nape to curl back in when it was sticking out ...as long as you`re careful it`ll be ok.... I can understand your frustration but I just guess there`ll always be some thing or other with any system which can cause annoyance at times.... you should be able to sort it out to your satisfaction easily enough though...regards, Paul.
p.s. ..I just re-read Hersute`s post there .. I guess he was referring to the same thing [ I`m half asleep today !! ]
09-18-2011, 10:20 AM,
Be very careful with relaxers. They can cause the hair to lose its body. I have used a relaxer on the sides of a full cap and it helped to tame the hair in that area, but if it had been used on the rest of the system I don't think I would have been able to wear it.

You can also change the position and curl of the hair with perming solution. I'm not sure how much different it is compared to relaxer, but I assume that the relaxer causes the hair to stay in a "limp" state, whereas the perming solution locks it back into a certain shape. If you do decide to try perming solution you have to make sure you don't use the neutralizer. After rinsing the perming solution it will neutralize itself by simply allowing it sit for 24 hours.

Not sure how much curl this would remove since there is no way to set the hair in a straight position other than by combing it in the direction you want. I would practice on an old unit first if you decide to do anything and BE CAREFUL! The hair has already been through a lot!
09-19-2011, 10:19 AM,
I got a product called Ogilvie Conditioning Hair Straightener that I used this morning, I followed the directions correctly and now my hair is greasy and not really any more straight than it was before. Can anyone recomend another product? If I had known the unit was going to stay this texture I would have returned it to John but I just assumed like with my other custom and every stock piece i have gotten that it would straighten out to a slight body wave after one or two washes. This system does not match the sides and back of my hair at all, I ordered another custom piece on Friday but that won't come until 4 to 6 weeks and now I'm considering wearing my last unit that ripped in several places and has to be contiously sowed but at least it matches my hair.