Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does CURLY hair tend to become brittle or dull?
08-29-2011, 12:10 PM,
Does CURLY hair tend to become brittle or dull?
On my quest for best hair style for my full cap, I could actually take the full-cap-advantage of being free to choose any hair structure from straight to curly.

However, am I right with my apprehension that the curlier wig hair is, the sooner it can become brittle, dull or tangling - because the origrinally straight hair has to be processed more when making it curly?

I'm thinking of hairstyles like to ones attached, which I think could really suit me well.

Attached Files Image(s)

08-30-2011, 01:26 AM,
RE: Does CURLY hair tend to become brittle or dull?
You are on the right lines there.... the really curlier hair is more `treated`/permed etc.The straighter hair is less treated. The styles in the 3rd and 5th pic [especially the 5th] would be fairly `easy`on the hair. Slight to medium wave should suffice for you if you look at the `style options` tab...they don`t look as curly simply because the hair shown is short-ish...if you wear the hair longer as in your pics...you can easily curl the ends yourself with a curling tongs (if you want more curl at the tips/ends)....always make sure the hair is quite damp when doing so. All system hair --irrespective of the `style`-- will need a sensible care-routine with a good leave-in conditioner.to avoid brittleness etc. Regards, Paul.
08-30-2011, 07:25 AM,
I have had better luck with straighter hair. Not sure just how much stress the perming adds to the hair but it would make sense that the less processing that is done to hair that is already over processed during the journey from donor to hairpiece the better.

That style would be perfect for a full cap, BTW. You wouldn't be able to tell that it's a wig even before it has broken in. Shorter styles can be poofy until the hair has a chance to relax a bit. Aside from getting used to attaching all that hair your life will probably be a lot easier once you make the switch.
08-30-2011, 02:38 PM,
Hey Paul, JRob,
thank you guys once again Smile The internet can be so cool and helpful with people like you around. You sharing your experience is of great help for me.

Now, everything is prepared for having a full cap made - though I still have two brand-new toppers left which can give me 8 more months before I go for the complete shave. Well, let's see.

I'm actually planning to have to units already cut-in by Debbie... as some of the hairstyles are more complex as it may seem on first sight. I'll attach a photo like the ones above, a picture of me (bald) wearing the plastic mold from several perspectives, also with measurements, plus a photomontage of me wearing the desired hairstyle... it's gonna be fun Smile

BTW, speaking of leave-in conditioners, are there special products (brand names, articles) you would recommend? My current routine is two shampoo every 48 hours (with a cheap but GREATLY colorsaving shampoo from the drugstore) and wash-out condition every 24 hours (based on soymilk). Don't use leave-in-conditioner so far. Maybe you know a good product that is likely to be also available here in Germany?
08-30-2011, 07:29 PM,
Hi again... have a read through the ``Red Tones`` thread where I left a link to a UK-based company which sells `Enhance` leave-in conditioner which I use all the time. I`d be very wary of using shampoos not formulated for system hair.... you`ll shorten the life of the system.... have a read of the thread `So you think your shampoo is doing a good job do ya` down the page there as it outlines the issues with `normal`shampoos etc. Regards for now... Paul.
08-30-2011, 09:22 PM,
well, I thought so as well... before that, I always used a soymilk shampoo that was rather expensive. It wasn't specially designed for hair systems but it was sulfate-free and colour-saving. Was quite okay, had no issues with that. Then, when at our local hair store that shampoo wasn't available for a while, I tried two special wig shampoo. HORIBBLE! Ruined the colour and made the hair brittle - wouldn't have expected this from expensive wig shampoos like that. Well, bad luck...

So I FINALLY went to a simple drugstore after reading a lot of reviews on the web concerning shampoos for coloured hair. After trying one Schwarzkopf product which wasn't so nice to the colour, I ended up using a product by a brand called Dove, 4$ a bottle for 6-7 weeks or so. With this I am so positively surprised Smile Even after 4 months, my wig hair has kept 95% of it's original colour (dark brown), no red tones at all (as I had it before with other shampoos), it still looks quite shiny and feels nice. Still, there might be one downside: Not sure if this shampoo is to blame, but for some reason my favourite tape won't stick to the swiss lace any more. I had to change to a different tape then...

Finally, the very first shampoo I had is available again, and I'm gonna try this on my new wigs.