Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow response to email? And questions for those in the know!
08-25-2011, 10:57 PM,
RE: Slow response to email? And questions for those in the know!
I've just cut out the sort of shape I need.

I've attached it.

It just seems like it would be very diffficult to cut a topper in this shape without ruining a lot of hair.

Please lmk what you think.

Attached Files Image(s)

08-26-2011, 02:08 AM,
I don't understand the very straight line across the front.
Is this your hairline?
Plus, it being on paper means that its 2D.
If you made a traditional template then it would be 3D and fit the contour of your head.
If you send that in, the piece you'll get back will misshape in exactly the same way as if you were to try and get that piece of paper to lay flat to your head.

But maybe this is just an example and not the actual template?

Removing a section like this from a topper wouldn't/shouldn't present any problems or ruin the remaining hair.
You would simply place the template (topside up) against the underneath of the lace base, draw around it and then with a sharp blade, and no pressure, slice along the drawn line, cutting just the lace & not the hair.
As Paul says, with the remainder, you could repeat this again, possible even 2 times from one standard topper.
Although in my opinion, the subsequent sections would be a compromise and inferior to the first piece.
Ok for an emergency or if you never revealed your hairline.
08-26-2011, 02:53 AM,
You simply make your template with clear cling-film as shown in the link there on Snipe`s thread....you can then easily mark/trace the front with black marker onto the film following where your natural hairline used to be before receding......you can make it oval shaped as I said in the earlier reply, marking it with black marker . Cover it in strips of sellotape to give it rigidity/body. Simply trim off the excess film around the perimeter and you have your template.... you won`t be cutting the front when you get the system..you`ll be able to trim it BEHIND the front hairline to the required width,so you won`t be cutting into any hair at the very front...you`ll be cutting a boomerang-shape about an inch [ or whatever you want] back from the front... and also not touching the temple-points i.e. you`ll be keeping/utilising the front part of the topper only by trimming off a partial from it.... and you may well be able to fashion a 2nd partial from the remainder. Paul.
08-26-2011, 03:41 AM,
Thanks.

the problem is imagine you lost some of your hairline and receeded at the sides.

I still want to use a lot of my existing hair so the example I attached is how much hair I've lost.

If I made a template in the normal way its still going to be straight along the forehead so I cant see how it would be 3d its simply straight and flat like a hairline across someones forehead.

But maybe I will make a larger template and that will be easier to make at the factory and hopefully I'll be able to cut at least one piece out.

I just cant see if you cut into the lace surely this will also cut the hair too leaving some hair long and some very short, would something like a stanley knife or box cutter be better than scissors?

thanks again.
08-26-2011, 07:05 AM,
No -one`s hairline is straight across..there is always a curve to it.... it will/would look totally strange if your hair, growing or system , was in a straight line at the front. The template will take on the curvature of your head which [not being `smart`] is not flat. In order to cut/trim out the required partial, you`ll just part the hair and cut the lace from one side to the other .... you won`t be cutting into hair as such. When you have the system in your hands you`ll see what I mean. Regards, Paul.
08-26-2011, 07:17 AM,
Ok I'll try and make a larger template and hopefully I'll be able to cut it.

Thanks for everyones help.
08-26-2011, 07:34 AM,
Have you tried to take that piece of paper and make it lay flat, on all sides, on your head?
Try it.
You'll see that as you get the two sides (left & right) to lay flat towards your temples, the middle of the front will buckle up.
Have you looked at front contour tapes?
There are several options in shapes that mimic natural front hairlines.
Not one of them is the shape of the straight line of your template.
Most people's hairline recedes. The idea of the partial is to bring it forward again.
Therefore the internal line of your horseshoe diagram represents where you still have hair and where it has receded to.
I would have thought that what you're looking to do is bring that same hairline (ie the internal line of the horseshoe) forward.
So the front of your template would normally be parallel to that.
I hope that makes sense?
08-26-2011, 09:05 AM,
I'd also like to say that replacing 1cm of recession is going to be a huge effort & expense for very little benefit.
Good attachment at the front is the trickiest most time consuming aspect of replacement hair.

I can see the benefits of 'infilling' widow's peaks, creating a straighter hairline in general by using two triangular pieces above the temples.
This would allow you to keep your natural hairline at the front and as a whole, would create a much easier & more natural transformation.

Most of use would love to use our natural hairline if we had one.
I honestly can't see that the very front of your hair being 1cm further forward will make any difference apart from adding to the effort and problems of replacement hair.
08-26-2011, 08:07 PM,
A centimeter IS very narrow and could be `delicate`/prone to tearing ..it could be quite `fiddley` to be dealing with... you have to ask yourself if the perceived benefits [`Look`] would outweigh the `hassles`.... without seeing a pic it`s not possible to give an `honest`opinion.... I`ve never worn partials but have read many posts/seen pics here from people who did/do ....most have been a bit more `substantial`than 1cm in width, as far as I can tell. I can understand your frustration with not being able to `do`[style] your front hair as you say, but I guess you won`t know until you try it as to how a narrow partial will look....my advice --in view of the narrowness of it-- would be that if you intend wearing a non-exposed style [i.e. not swept-back] I `d get it in French lace as that is more sturdy than Swiss and will withstand de/re-attachments better... downside is that it`s more likely to be visible than Swiss as it`s a little `heavier` but really, not hugely-so. I`m wearing French on this fullcap..non-exposed hairline but even if I style the hair a bit more `exposed`, it`s not really visible---- provided the density is around medium or higher, it`s nothing to be worried about as such....just my 2-cents worth...regards, Paul.
p.s. I have an old topper here [swiss lace] which I`ll happily post to you if you like....you can `experiment` with it by trimming it etc. and see what lace looks/feels like... might help you decide on what you want.
08-27-2011, 04:47 AM,
Paul, its so good of you to offer to send an old piece.
I was going to suggest doing the same, but I started looking through my old pieces and they were embarrassingly 'moth-eaten' looking!
Its the hairline/front of mine that wear out first, so I wasn't sure they'd be a good indication.

But I think it would really help because until you have a piece in your hand, its all theory & it can be so difficult to imagine.