Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fading!
08-23-2011, 08:11 AM,
Fading!
Hey everyone,

I'm on my second system from Toplace. My first custom system started shedding and fading after about 6 weeks. I over-washed, I didn't know what I was doing etc... so it was expected.

I'm now on my second system and have been wearing for roughly one month. I've only used shampoo on the system once (from Debbies site), have removed it maybe 3 or 4 times, am using alcohol to remove the front partial and using a solvent from a local wig shop that contains organic wetting agents, petroleum, hydrocarbons citrus oils, and lanolin to clean up with the mirror slide method. After removing residue I thoroughly rinse the system with filtered water and let it air dry, apply leave in anti fade conditioner and reapply the piece to my head. I'm outside a lot, but I try and wear a hat often and have purchased a UV protector from that local wig shop just in-case to mix in with my conditioner.

That being said, I've already noticed the piece is starting to fade to a more blonder tint than my hair. What am I doing wrong? This is really frustrating. I can post pictures later today.
08-23-2011, 09:09 AM,
RE: Fading!
Hi JamesJr..sounds like you`re not doing anything wrong to me .... you`re in Australia I think? It`s most likely to be from the sun...even on days when it`s cloudy/overcast, UV radiation still gets through..... I can see the oxidation effect on my new system after a relatively short term [few weeks] in wear/use and I`m on a country not known to be exactly sunny [understatement..lol] Sounds like you`ll need to put a coloring agent into it.... it`s important to keep it off the lace or it can lead to `visibility`due to permanently staining it...you`ll need to get the correct shade --can that wig -supplies shop advise you or do they carry such product ? It`s important not to leave coloring agents in longer than about 3 minutes or it will go too `deep`.....system hair really grabs color far quicker than growing hair.... it`s vital to choose the correct color [obviously] so even if you went into a shop which specializes in hair-coloring products.... there`s no need to tell them it`s for a system..just say the front part of you hair has been sun-bleached and tell them you want to color it to match with the rest of your hair ..they should be able to give you the right one for you.... it`s then only a matter of mixing [ if it`s not ready-mixed] and applying to freshly-shampooed /towel -dried hair taking great care to keep it off your base.....simply rinse off under running water after 3 minutes...the longer you leave it in the `deeper`the shade....so go `easy`the first time....hope that helps....it`s just another new part of this wearing game.....sometimes you can get away with it for longer, others, not so long.... it shouldn`t be too tricky for such a small system anyway but as it`s at the front there, you`re bound to be `conscious`of it.... regards, Paul.
08-23-2011, 09:18 AM,
(08-23-2011, 09:09 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi JamesJr..sounds like you`re not doing anything wrong to me .... you`re in Australia I think? It`s most likely to be from the sun...even on days when it`s cloudy/overcast, UV radiation still gets through..... I can see the oxidation effect on my new system after a relatively short term [few weeks] in wear/use and I`m on a country not known to be exactly sunny [understatement..lol] Sounds like you`ll need to put a coloring agent into it.... it`s important to keep it off the lace or it can lead to `visibility`due to permanently staining it...you`ll need to get the correct shade --can that wig -supplies shop advise you or do they carry such product ? It`s important not to leave coloring agents in longer than about 3 minutes or it will go too `deep`.....system hair really grabs color far quicker than growing hair.... it`s vital to choose the correct color [obviously] so even if you went into a shop which specializes in hair-coloring products.... there`s no need to tell them it`s for a system..just say the front part of you hair has been sun-bleached and tell them you want to color it to match with the rest of your hair ..they should be able to give you the right one for you.... it`s then only a matter of mixing [ if it`s not ready-mixed] and applying to freshly-shampooed /towel -dried hair taking great care to keep it off your base.....simply rinse off under running water after 3 minutes...the longer you leave it in the `deeper`the shade....so go `easy`the first time....hope that helps....it`s just another new part of this wearing game.....sometimes you can get away with it for longer, others, not so long.... it shouldn`t be too tricky for such a small system anyway but as it`s at the front there, you`re bound to be `conscious`of it.... regards, Paul.

Thanks Paul. I've already started the dying process on my older system. I don't use pure pigment, I use a gloss too lighten the "grab" on my hair. You're right, it's probably the sun :/ It's just a pain in the a**!

You the man!
08-23-2011, 02:19 PM,
Go to your local beauty supply store with a sample of your own hair and find the right color (they have samples you can match against). Try the product "Second Nature No Lift" hair color along with some Ardell Unred if you are getting any brassy tones. Works like a charm. Also, Back2Natural helps and can be used as often as you like.

As Paul said, don't leave the color on that long. Better to leave it on not long enough and gradually increase than to go too far on the first shot. Put the piece on styro head (also found at the beauty supply store) and comb the dye into the hair w/o touching the lace. Leave it on for a bit and then rinse and let dry. It's really easy.

Here's what I use that works wonderfully (i mix the dabber in with the developer and color product and comb it through):

http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware...dium+Brown

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Unred-Colo-Dr..._vc=SEARCH