Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Addressing Thin Hair
08-12-2011, 06:08 AM,
Addressing Thin Hair
I have not only sparse hair at the sides and back, but the diameter is very thin, which brings me to my big question: is there any supplier out there good enough to actually offer truly different hair texture types? I've ordered from almost all the usual suspects, and while of course you can always order low density to address sparseness matching, you can't specify hair diameter. The hair is always the same, it's thick (well, thicker to my standards anyway). If I could find a supplier that could even come close to matching the hair texture/diameter of my hair I would be over the moon. Think about it, even though I may order 45% on the sides and back of my hairpiece, when the hair falls into my own hair and the hairpiece hairs are, say, 200% thicker in diameter, it's not going to match up as well as it otherwise would. I hope that makes sense, and any input re: getting different hair types is much appreciated.

Just talking about this makes me wonder why there aren't companies doing this. There must be demand for a finer texture hair for us guys who are caucasian and have thinning hair EVERYWHERE.

The women who donate their hair can't possibly have the same hair thickness, so why not offer varying diameter types found naturally among hair donors instead of a random, "hope you get lucky" approach? Maybe I should start a hairpiece company as this seems it could be a competitive edge. Also? I know Hollywood lace asks you about hair texture when you order online, but I would never order from them. They sent me a piece with the knots so visible at the hairline it was a joke. I remember calling them and saying, "how can you honestly expect anyone to wear this?" And I don't recall the hair texture to be any different.

Anyway, any feedback is much appreciated
08-12-2011, 08:18 PM,
RE: Addressing Thin Hair
Hi expriest... I`m totally in the dark on this..it`s just not a thing which ever really crossed my mind.. I never thought about it on a kind of [not being offensive now ] `macro`level.... I would have assumed the factories would try to match the hairs from your hair-sample ? Maybe it`s not something which was ever really an issue for most wearers ? I`m just guessing. I`m [again ] not being `smart`with you but if your own is so thin/fine now would you be better off just going full-cap? I know wearing full-caps brings other issues but there are up-sides to it too...the main one for me, being not having to worry about either color-blend or [in your case] texture/diameter of hair...I guess if you still have a reasonable amount of your natural hair, well, stay with toppers for now.... maybe if you ask for a better diameter-match with an order next time, they will do their best to oblige you? Cheers for now, Paul.
08-12-2011, 08:48 PM,
I have very thin hair on the sides and back. I'm even balding at the nape. Sad

I was using partials until a year ago, but they just weren't working. I tried lowering the density, but the density wasn't the problem. It was the QUALITY of the hair. I couldn't get a bad quality hair to match my own bad quality hair. Stoopid I know. Big Grin

So I decided to go a full cap. No matching - not even color matching - involved. And the hair on the cap is good quality hair.

Just a thought.
08-13-2011, 01:07 PM,
John told me that when I placed my last custom order, that he could request some of the 'thin' hair in spots were I needed it to be thin type hair. I wonder if you can get the 'thin' type hair on the entire hair piece, but a LOT of it. That is really how my hair is. The texture of the regular hair Toplace or anyone has it a thicker shaft diameter. It's really not that bad, but it's also not correct either.

Don't want to give off the impression that I want the thinning hair look, but I do want to say that it would be nice to have a LOT/Ton of the thinner hair type on a hairpiece as an option.

I don't have a problem blending, but I think the thinner hair would actually lay in with my own hair on the side back, vs. the thicker diameter shaft hair laying on top of my sides, and back hair even though it's blended well.

(08-12-2011, 08:48 PM)Justin Tyme Wrote: I have very thin hair on the sides and back. I'm even balding at the nape. Sad

I was using partials until a year ago, but they just weren't working. I tried lowering the density, but the density wasn't the problem. It was the QUALITY of the hair. I couldn't get a bad quality hair to match my own bad quality hair. Stoopid I know. Big Grin

So I decided to go a full cap. No matching - not even color matching - involved. And the hair on the cap is good quality hair.

Just a thought.
08-13-2011, 04:19 PM,
NO full caps for me.. I like my hair too short on the sides and back for full caps.. I still have my hair on my sides and back.. It's just thin, but I can get away with buzzing it down still.

IMO.. it's not the hair quality, it's the actual shaft diameter of each individual hair is just thicker.

(08-13-2011, 01:07 PM)folliman Wrote: John told me that when I placed my last custom order, that he could request some of the 'thin' hair in spots were I needed it to be thin type hair. I wonder if you can get the 'thin' type hair on the entire hair piece, but a LOT of it. That is really how my hair is. The texture of the regular hair Toplace or anyone has it a thicker shaft diameter. It's really not that bad, but it's also not correct either.

Don't want to give off the impression that I want the thinning hair look, but I do want to say that it would be nice to have a LOT/Ton of the thinner hair type on a hairpiece as an option.

I don't have a problem blending, but I think the thinner hair would actually lay in with my own hair on the side back, vs. the thicker diameter shaft hair laying on top of my sides, and back hair even though it's blended well.

(08-12-2011, 08:48 PM)Justin Tyme Wrote: I have very thin hair on the sides and back. I'm even balding at the nape. Sad

Just a thought.
08-13-2011, 06:48 PM,

Just a thought.

lol im the same as you...
(08-12-2011, 06:08 AM)expriest Wrote: I have not only sparse hair at the sides and back, but the diameter is very thin, which brings me to my big question: is there any supplier out there good enough to actually offer truly different hair texture types? I've ordered from almost all the usual suspects, and while of course you can always order low density to address sparseness matching, you can't specify hair diameter. The hair is always the same, it's thick (well, thicker to my standards anyway). If I could find a supplier that could even come close to matching the hair texture/diameter of my hair I would be over the moon. Think about it, even though I may order 45% on the sides and back of my hairpiece, when the hair falls into my own hair and the hairpiece hairs are, say, 200% thicker in diameter, it's not going to match up as well as it otherwise would. I hope that makes sense, and any input re: getting different hair types is much appreciated.

Just talking about this makes me wonder why there aren't companies doing this. There must be demand for a finer texture hair for us guys who are caucasian and have thinning hair EVERYWHERE.

The women who donate their hair can't possibly have the same hair thickness, so why not offer varying diameter types found naturally among hair donors instead of a random, "hope you get lucky" approach? Maybe I should start a hairpiece company as this seems it could be a competitive edge. Also? I know Hollywood lace asks you about hair texture when you order online, but I would never order from them. They sent me a piece with the knots so visible at the hairline it was a joke. I remember calling them and saying, "how can you honestly expect anyone to wear this?" And I don't recall the hair texture to be any different.

Anyway, any feedback is much appreciated

duno if this would help but isn't indian remi hair thinner than chinese remi? i switched to indian remi cos it was thinner and just styled better...
08-14-2011, 03:27 AM,
I can only say what works best for me. I tried for many years to get the blending right on a topper, and the hair density, even color right.

But it just didn't work for me. Full caps are my only option. If I want hair.
08-14-2011, 08:56 AM,
(08-14-2011, 03:27 AM)Justin Tyme Wrote: I can only say what works best for me. I tried for many years to get the blending right on a topper, and the hair density, even color right.

I had the same problems with a partial unit. If my side and back hair were in better shape it would have made things easier but to be honest even if my existing hair was in better condition I'm not sure if I would have had the patience to deal with the constant struggle to maintain the blend, maintenance cuts, etc.
08-14-2011, 09:20 AM,
(08-14-2011, 08:56 AM)JRob Wrote:
(08-14-2011, 03:27 AM)Justin Tyme Wrote: I can only say what works best for me. I tried for many years to get the blending right on a topper, and the hair density, even color right.

I had the same problems with a partial unit. If my side and back hair were in better shape it would have made things easier but to be honest even if my existing hair was in better condition I'm not sure if I would have had the patience to deal with the constant struggle to maintain the blend, maintenance cuts, etc.

Yes, and like you we both get a good head of hair. No worries about other people spotting the join!
08-14-2011, 02:30 PM,
(08-14-2011, 09:20 AM)Justin Tyme Wrote:
(08-14-2011, 08:56 AM)JRob Wrote:

Yes, and like you we both get a good head of hair. No worries about other people spotting the join!

what about if your "with" someone??? Do you manage to get a flawless attachment, especially in areas like the nape?