Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unit arrived - urgent questions
05-21-2011, 10:42 AM,
Unit arrived - urgent questions
I just unpacked my unit and inspected it in my hands - it looks good except:

1. The colour is slightly darker than my own hair, even though I sent a hair sample. Here's some pics for comparison:
http://img853.imageshack.us/i/top0.jpg/
http://img831.imageshack.us/i/top1z.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/top2zn.jpg/

What do you think? Can I use something to make it slightly lighter? Does units lighten with time?

2. Knots. My density is 75% but I noticed that there hair part and in the crown, you can see something like thick dots, have a look:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/knots.jpg/

Is this how it supposed to look?
And what are those black threads tied to the lace here and there?
05-21-2011, 10:16 PM,
RE: Unit arrived - urgent questions
Hi Val... all system hair will lighten in colour over time due to oxidation [sunlight/washing etc.] For the moment, as it`s new, what I would do is consider adding a colour to your own hair temporarily, to help with the match... it can be tricky to get a good-colour match even after sending a sample with the order, especially for lighter-coloured hair... you could have it done by a salon [a bit pricey] or just buy the products and do it yourself....you could ask a stylist to recommend / tell you the colour-number of the product you`ll need..it`s quite easy to do it though. Debbie sells bleaching-kits if you`re unhappy with some of the knots being visible..... these are teething problems which many new wearers often have to adapt-to..... I know you put a lot of effort in to getting it `right`, especially the density, so I hope these initial issues can be relatively minor for you....you`d be surprised too when the thing is shortened/cut in, the overall `look`will be different...... Paul.
05-21-2011, 11:37 PM,
Thanks!

One more question - every here and there I can see a stray black hair tied into the lace but not the same way as other hair, but like it is tied in the middle of its length and both ends pretend to be like other hair. They are similar length to other hair but much more rigid.

I though it supposed to be some kind of support for transportation but it does not seem to serve any purpose. What is the deal with them?
05-22-2011, 02:06 AM,
I honestly don`t know what these are.....why not take a pic and send it to John...I would be very interested to learn what they are ..it sounds really `odd`to me.... and more to the point, what is the solution [if any].... are they very visible to a casual glance or only when the hair is parted manually ? Paul.
05-22-2011, 03:05 AM,
Having seen your photos, the slight color difference would be of no concern to me. All of my new units are slightly darker than my old unit due to the fading of the hair. I believe the factory puts a conditioner in the hair to give a rich, new look. It will fade soon enough. In fact, all of the flaws you point out would not cause me to send it back. You start looking for perfection in DIY hair, you will find disappointment instead. But I acknowledge there are certain things that each individual looks at, and if any are deal breakers for you, send it back. My opinion is if I received a unit like that(and the density was right, which is a deal breaker for me), I'd cut it in and wear it. I try to wear the hair, and not let the hair wear me.
05-22-2011, 11:38 AM,
(05-21-2011, 04:37 PM)timguyperson Wrote: You can try to lighten the hair colour with a bleaching product, but be careful, or you can dye your hair darker to match, or if you aren't in a rush you can send the piece back to get it replaced with the right colour, but colour matching is always a pain.

As for the dots, the really black ones I usually have absolutely no luck bleaching lighter. I don't know what the deal is with those ones. I usually just pluck the black hairs/knots out with some tweezers (there are usually only 5-10 on a unit). As for the other dots/knots that aren't quite light enough, you can make up a peroxide/bleach poweder solution that is nice and thick (use lots of powder) and use a butter knife to apply it to the underside of the unit on the lace and leave it for 15-30 mins to lighten the knots. But be careful with it, don't push the bleach into the hairs, and don't leave it on for too long. You don't want the knots to be completely white or else the hair will be brittle and snap off.

You didn't think out the "dye your own hair darker", did'ja ?
If he did that, it would also dye his gray hair and then there is no way that the unit would match Wink

Fred
05-22-2011, 08:24 PM,
(05-22-2011, 10:30 AM)timguyperson Wrote: No way in hell would I go out the door with a mismatch of colour that bad. And knots visible at the crown are a big issue too.
Freak me out much? I'm on my way to the stylist 200 miles away as we speak, gotdamit Big Grin

(05-22-2011, 11:38 AM)FredTJ Wrote: You didn't think out the "dye your own hair darker", did'ja ?
If he did that, it would also dye his gray hair and then there is no way that the unit would match Wink
What gray hair? I'm 26 and have none.

What seems strange to me is that the knots are showing. Quoting John:
(01-29-2011, 01:59 PM)ToplaceUSA Wrote: All of our units have the knots bleached at the factory. You don't have to specify that you want the knots bleached--the factory bleaches all the knots. Any factory that doesn't bleach the knots or just bleaches the knots on the hair line and not the whole unit is not a quality factory.
Regards,
John
Based on this, I did not expect any dots being visible, especially with a blond unit.
05-22-2011, 11:01 PM,
In light of timguyperson's criticism of my comments, I took another look at your pics. I stand by my comments, based on what I saw. Not looking to cause an argument, or steer newbies wrong, just giving the benefit(perhaps dubious) of my experience.

MY experience with DIY hair has been less than perfect. Sending in what I felt were perfect specs still got me less than perfect results (in my opinion) every time. And demanding perfection in color and other issues has also been disappointing. My experience. If get a "pretty damn good" unit, that's as good as it gets. Perfect would probably require a trip to China, and more than $200 a unit.

Those odd black dots I have seen before in a TL unit; they were random, and in the crown and other areas, but not in the hairline. It didn't matter on that unit, as my hair is medium brown. But on a blond unit, it may be a problem if they are numerous. Can't tell from the photo.

Val, let us know the resolution of your problems.
05-23-2011, 02:18 AM,
Send it back to be re-made.
I can't honestly believe that people are advising anyone,especially a newbie, to dye the piece or hair?
No one should have to colour their own hair or the piece just to make it match.
And it should not be accepted as the norm either or some learning curve.
We send hair samples and also instructions as to what the hair colour should be, so it is hardly rocket science for the factory to match that.
The problem is the factories problem to resolve, and i am sure that John would agree with that?
As for the knots?then again if this was your only issue then bleaching them yourself is no big issue but as it is also coupled with the complete mismatch of your piece then send it back!
The black threads are sometimes white and sometimes coloured.(i know because i have had those before!!)
I was told by a factory once that they can be mistakingly left there by a new ventilator?
Unfortuanatly they have to learn and they practice with thread as it is easier for them when under tuition.
The other reason was that it could be a marker to let the ventilator know where he stopped the day before.
05-23-2011, 03:07 AM,
Hi LTB.. interesting there what you were saying about threads ...that was `new`on me ...makes sense all right. As for the colour-match..... I agree with you, but I think it`s never going to be 100% and in this particular case, it looks like a `difficult`colour to achieve an almost perfect match to.... however, like I have said here on a few occasions now, if a person really feels that an issue [such as colour or density] is too great to be overcome, they should contact John rather than style it in or wear it... if it`s not fit for purpose, personally I`d return a system rather than feel `uncomfortable` while wearing it.....better to delay wearing for a while until a replacement arrives, rather than wear and feel it`s not `` you`` . I think he`s having it styled today in any case....but that is his personal choice.... I hope it works out and he `ll let us know how it turns out..... regards, Paul.