Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full-body screeners at major airports
04-20-2011, 11:57 PM,
RE: Full-body screeners at major airports
I totally `get` reservations people have about frequent exposure to those machines ,which is a slightly different issue to the original question posed..... i.e. would your system be detected... I`m honestly thinking that it wouldn`t due to the fact that lace or even skin-systems are so thin [probably less than a millimeter] that they wouldn`t really `stand out` to the scanner-observer..... I guess the really best way to find out would be to contact the Airport -administrators of a particular Airport and pose the question....a polite e mail pointing out that you are a wearer and don`t want to have an embarrassing incident if/when passing through those scanners [should you choose to do so] ..... it`s a very valid `concern`for travellers and one which it would be nice to have a definite answer to. Ireland is small and the three main Airports are administered by a Government authority .. I would have no issue contacting them before I were to travel if I had that concern..in fact I might just do that later today and will post any reply I get back.. cheers guys.. Paul.
Have just contacted the security guys now by phone.. those machines are not in use here yet so he was unable to answer my question..... maybe someone living in USA might be able to contact the security people at their nearest major Airport to ask? It`s a genuine concern/issue so I`m sure they`d be happy to help.
04-21-2011, 02:44 AM,
I can tell you that last year at the airport I was asked if I wanted the full body or the pat down and I thought I'd try to full body scan. I honestly didn't even think about it and yes I'm a wearer. The machine spun around and the person said I could go so nothing was mentioned. I did look at the person after me and it looked like at the top of the machine there were green LED things that would I guess set off alarms should they be hiding something.
This leads me to believe it will detect objects but maybe lace and some hair doesn't set the machine off.
04-21-2011, 05:38 AM,
I think Paul's responses were pretty reasonable. These scanners are probably trying to pick up objects or things with organic compounds. I can't see the scanner going off for a material. otherwise clothes, underwear stockings etc would be setting off the machine. I think the machine is engineered to look for certain things, and organic compounds etc. I might be wrong.

If the machine did reveal a hair system, if there was no object or anything underneath that was of concern, I can't see why they would pull you aside. Kind of would defeat the purpose of the machine to me.
04-21-2011, 11:53 AM,
(04-20-2011, 03:55 PM)bobbyphilly Wrote: well greenery, i am sorry for no good advice, but i have traveled the world with a toplace recently, from jfk to honkkong to philippines to thurout asia.2 weeks from now i will go to atlantis , in the bamahas and i will look for that machine. i will be leaving from phila to wpb fla- to ft laud- nassau. 2 weeks . i will let u know. just trying to give some insight, even if it does not address u question. see the problem for me here on this site is lack of posts verses the h/a site which i no longer post so i guess i am jonesing for a reply...john you got to make this forum like the other guys forum and its more friendler to shoot a fast [post. i spoke with mike about this long ago. its not user friendly imo..
bobby /philly

Hi Bobbyphilly,

I sincerely apologize if my previous messages pissed you off. I am just here to discuss the issue of those screeners and not trying to argue with you or anything.

Thank you so much for your input and may you have a wonderful trip.

Cheers!
(04-20-2011, 11:57 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: I totally `get` reservations people have about frequent exposure to those machines ,which is a slightly different issue to the original question posed..... i.e. would your system be detected... I`m honestly thinking that it wouldn`t due to the fact that lace or even skin-systems are so thin [probably less than a millimeter] that they wouldn`t really `stand out` to the scanner-observer..... I guess the really best way to find out would be to contact the Airport -administrators of a particular Airport and pose the question....a polite e mail pointing out that you are a wearer and don`t want to have an embarrassing incident if/when passing through those scanners [should you choose to do so] ..... it`s a very valid `concern`for travellers and one which it would be nice to have a definite answer to. Ireland is small and the three main Airports are administered by a Government authority .. I would have no issue contacting them before I were to travel if I had that concern..in fact I might just do that later today and will post any reply I get back.. cheers guys.. Paul.
Have just contacted the security guys now by phone.. those machines are not in use here yet so he was unable to answer my question..... maybe someone living in USA might be able to contact the security people at their nearest major Airport to ask? It`s a genuine concern/issue so I`m sure they`d be happy to help.

Thanks a lot, Paul.

Regards,
(04-21-2011, 02:44 AM)LP Dude Wrote: I can tell you that last year at the airport I was asked if I wanted the full body or the pat down and I thought I'd try to full body scan. I honestly didn't even think about it and yes I'm a wearer. The machine spun around and the person said I could go so nothing was mentioned. I did look at the person after me and it looked like at the top of the machine there were green LED things that would I guess set off alarms should they be hiding something.
This leads me to believe it will detect objects but maybe lace and some hair doesn't set the machine off.

Maybe I should give it a try when I travel by myself next time.

Thanks, LP Dude.

Regards,
(04-21-2011, 05:38 AM)Xeon005 Wrote: I think Paul's responses were pretty reasonable. These scanners are probably trying to pick up objects or things with organic compounds. I can't see the scanner going off for a material. otherwise clothes, underwear stockings etc would be setting off the machine. I think the machine is engineered to look for certain things, and organic compounds etc. I might be wrong.

If the machine did reveal a hair system, if there was no object or anything underneath that was of concern, I can't see why they would pull you aside. Kind of would defeat the purpose of the machine to me.

I agree. Thanks, Xeon.

Regards,
04-21-2011, 03:50 PM,
greenery no worries i am a helpfull guy..
bobby/philly
04-21-2011, 06:37 PM,
I was a bit concerned about this, for the same reason as Greenery, because I travel quite a bit with work colleagues, and I was worried about having my piece exposed by one of these machines. The subject got a good airing on this and other forums when the first machines started to appear about a year ago (you may remember the controversy about them being able to see through people's clothes). Some of those who posted professed to have expert knowledge about scanners and x-rays.

Basically the consensus was that a hairpiece is very unlikely to be picked up on one of these machines unless you are using metal clips under it. The fine lightweight hairpieces which we wear with tape and glue are no more likely to register than your tie or your underwear.

Even in the unlikely event of it picking up something more solid like a poly strip, it was generally agreed that security would be neither surprised nor interested. They are looking for guys secreting explosives, not ones concealing their baldness. They also have standing instructions not to embarrass you by mentioning that you wear a wig. If they had to do that they would take you to one side out of earshot, or into a separate room.

I hope this gives you some comfort Greenery. Anecdotally, I have been through these machines perhaps a dozen times now, and never had a problem.
04-22-2011, 08:13 AM,
great post, that is what I thought as well from my own common sense.
04-23-2011, 05:52 AM,
haha don't give anyone ideas!
04-27-2011, 09:15 AM,
(04-21-2011, 06:37 PM)Baldrich Wrote: I was a bit concerned about this, for the same reason as Greenery, because I travel quite a bit with work colleagues, and I was worried about having my piece exposed by one of these machines. The subject got a good airing on this and other forums when the first machines started to appear about a year ago (you may remember the controversy about them being able to see through people's clothes). Some of those who posted professed to have expert knowledge about scanners and x-rays.

Basically the consensus was that a hairpiece is very unlikely to be picked up on one of these machines unless you are using metal clips under it. The fine lightweight hairpieces which we wear with tape and glue are no more likely to register than your tie or your underwear.

Even in the unlikely event of it picking up something more solid like a poly strip, it was generally agreed that security would be neither surprised nor interested. They are looking for guys secreting explosives, not ones concealing their baldness. They also have standing instructions not to embarrass you by mentioning that you wear a wig. If they had to do that they would take you to one side out of earshot, or into a separate room.

I hope this gives you some comfort Greenery. Anecdotally, I have been through these machines perhaps a dozen times now, and never had a problem.

Hi B***Rich (people in here prefer to see more of *Rich* instead of *Bald*...jk)

At least I am less stressed out now.

Do you wear all lace or lace with polyskin on the sides and back (I wear the latter material)? Thanks.

Regards
(04-22-2011, 10:12 AM)timguyperson Wrote: Now we just need one terrorist to smuggle an explosive onto a plane under his hairpiece and then we'll all be fucked. New regulations will come in saying no rugs on planes! If you're suspected of wearing they'll knock you to the ground and rip out your hair! Then George Bush will jump out from nowhere and kick you in the nuts!

Don't say I didn't warn you!

=)

This is hilarious. That explosive thingy must be very thin in order to hide under the piece. Hope this day will never come otherwise all hairwearers would have to protest.
04-28-2011, 03:46 AM,
Hi Greenery. I wear all-lace units, but sometimes with a thin-skin strip around the perimeter. I can't be sure what I was wearing when I went through the scanners. I don't wear units with poly horseshoes any more.

The idea of smuggling stuff under a toupee has already been done, although thankfully with dope rather than explosives - http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/07/dru...under.html.