Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coloring
04-13-2011, 02:14 PM,
Coloring
I have a new piece, my first order. The color is a bit darker than my natural hair. I could a. color mine to match the piece. b. color the piece to match mine or c. color both to match eachother.

I'm inclined to do C. I bought an off the shelf product (Clairol). Do you color the piece with it off your head? I think it would be hard to get the dye and stuff off your scalp with the lace.

Another question, what do you do about the seam at the front? Do you cut that off? It seems like it would be impossible to get a good hairline with that folded over hunk of lace at the front. I need advice, quickly!
04-13-2011, 04:11 PM,
RE: Coloring
(04-13-2011, 02:14 PM)Bee Wrote: I have a new piece, my first order. The color is a bit darker than my natural hair. I could a. color mine to match the piece. b. color the piece to match mine or c. color both to match eachother.

I'm inclined to do C. I bought an off the shelf product (Clairol). Do you color the piece with it off your head? I think it would be hard to get the dye and stuff off your scalp with the lace.

Another question, what do you do about the seam at the front? Do you cut that off? It seems like it would be impossible to get a good hairline with that folded over hunk of lace at the front. I need advice, quickly!

1) The excess lace around the whole unit is to be trimmed off. Some people trim it (in the front) right to the hair line, others leave 1 or 2 mm of excess lace at the front.

2) You can't lighten a piece that's too dark by "dyeing it lighter". You have to lighten (bleach) it to lighten it. Risky if you don't know what you're doing.
Best is simply to color your hair a little darker. Remember that the color of the unit (especially dark colors) will fade some after a couple of shampoo's. (I hardly ever shampoo mine).

3) If you decide to darken the piece further, and darken your own hair in an attempt to get them to match, remember that the hair in the unit will take the color MUCH faster than your hair. Typically you leave the color in for 1/2 the time. Also, the dye will not only stain the lace, if it gets on it, it will also darken the knots to the point that they'll show, if the dye gets on them. So, NO you don't dye the unit on your head.
Best bet is to attach the unit, and dye your hair and just the ENDS of the hair of the unit where it blends with your own hair. or simply leave the unit alone and dye your hair a little darker.
Remember, hair is often lighter on the top of the head due to sun bleaching.

Fred
04-13-2011, 08:57 PM,
Fred is totally right ..DON`T attempt to colour any system while it`s on your head..you`ll only succeed in staining the lace permanently....there are plenty posts to do with colouring in the forum... I`d advise you to just darken-down your own hair a little.. just try leaving it in for say 10 minutes and then rinse/shampoo as normal.... you don`t want to make it too dark either..as Fred say`s ..your system hair will lighten a bit after a few washes/exposure to sunlight etc.. so this issue will lessen with time.... I posted pics with advice on the excess lace recently.... most usual/frequently-asked questions have been covered down along the forum guys...I know it`s maybe a bit time-consuming reading them all, but it`s best to get fully-informed before you decide both to wear and settle on what type of system / style you`d like to go with..... this will save you stressing over things when your first system arrives.... have a look at the pics here.... http://forum.toplace.com/showthread.php?tid=4285
regards...Paul.
04-14-2011, 12:53 PM,
Here it is.... The system arrived. The color is about 5 shades too dark. The part line was off. It's not right, its not center. The back of the piece is overlapping my natural hair. My stylist died my hair to match the system. It looks a little square on the sides. I look like f'ing Adolph Hitler. I hate this. I don't even know if I want to wear it to work. I feel ridiculous.
04-15-2011, 12:54 AM,
Hi Bee.. I`m surprised the colour could be so far `out`..... if it`s overlapping at the back, that`s either because the template was too large..or [more likely] a little bit more should be shaved off the growing hair...can you post a pic ? I`d really say to EVERY new wearer...if you feel there is something not `right` when your system arrives, it`s best to do nothing at all to it...simply contact Toplace pointing out your issues.....I`m not being sarcastic now or anything ....but ANY goods you buy anywhere are supplied to you under normal trading terms..... if it`s a case of you want to return an item, it really should be in the original condition.....so in terms of a system, it really shouldn`t be cut-in etc...... systems need time to `settle in`too ..can look very lively/ `wiggy`for a little while ..usually settle-down after a few washes/sleeping on it etc...... I can fully appreciate you being `conscious`of the system, but some of that can be down to the `new-ness` of wearing and also what kind of job the stylist did....... I do hope you don`t give up on this ..there can be initial issues with wearing .... please contact John to make him aware of your concerns.... regards, Paul.