Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3/4 cap or Full Cap Difference
04-11-2011, 04:00 PM,
3/4 cap or Full Cap Difference
I used to wear, and I'm considering wearing again. However, my side/back hair is getting so thin. Plus I'd like to avoid the color matching issues associated with toppers. That is if, in fact, wearing a 3/4 or full cap is not that much harder or troublesome than a topper.

Is a 3/4 cap easier than a full cap or are they the same? It seems that keeping a little bit of your own hair on the sides and back would make it easier. Is this true? (I'm talking like one inch). If so I'd rather go that way and go with a bit longer of a style (kind of messy and careless, I'm a musician lol).

And there any special instructions for making temples for 3/4 or full caps, anything you need to tell the factory so they vent it correctly?

I've been out of the loop for a couple years. What's the best adhesive (generally) if you want to remove/re-attach your hair every 2-3 days or so? I would like to go for easier clean up and more frequent removals, if possible. I used to use ultra hold but that was a lot of clean up. I remember scraping my head with a credit card or old drivers license and it just being very irritating, not to mention the glue getting in the SFS lace holes.

Thanks
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM,
RE: 3/4 cap or Full Cap Difference
Hi expriest.... I guess you`ll have to experiment with a few different ones to find the products which `work`for you... I`m in a similar position ..have been wearing toppers and now just ordered my first full-cap......like you my sides/back are just so thin now I can`t `do`anything with it ..... the back perimeter will be sitting just below the occipital bone which is the round bone at the base of the skull which is about an inch or so above the line of the hairline.....I`ll leave that little bit of my own hair to remain in place/grow down to give a realistic `look`.....have a look through JRob`s site for definitive information on the whole area of full-caps and then you should be able to make your final decision on what path to go.
http://hairjive.com/ Paul.
04-11-2011, 11:06 PM,
I used to wear a full cap. To get a secure attachment, you have to attach on your neck. This feels uncomfortable at first but you get used to it. In the near future I'm going to try out a 3/4 cap, I went back to using a partial but I'm having to use alot of toppik in places, I'm fed up of having black stuff everywhere Sad
04-20-2011, 12:23 PM,
(04-11-2011, 04:00 PM)expriest Wrote: I used to wear, and I'm considering wearing again. However, my side/back hair is getting so thin. Plus I'd like to avoid the color matching issues associated with toppers. That is if, in fact, wearing a 3/4 or full cap is not that much harder or troublesome than a topper.

If you have worn in the past a full or 3/4 shouldn't be hard to get the hang of. Some people will say that oversized units are more difficult to deal with, but when you factor everything in (no blending or color match issues) it really isn't that much more difficult.

Quote:Is a 3/4 cap easier than a full cap or are they the same? It seems that keeping a little bit of your own hair on the sides and back would make it easier. Is this true? (I'm talking like one inch). If so I'd rather go that way and go with a bit longer of a style (kind of messy and careless, I'm a musician lol).

Leaving some hair at the nape will decrease detectability in that area, at least as far as touch is concerned.

Quote:And there any special instructions for making temples for 3/4 or full caps, anything you need to tell the factory so they vent it correctly?

You can draw the ventilation direction on your template and even send pictures. Might not help but it certainly won't hurt.
(04-11-2011, 05:01 PM)timguyperson Wrote: I don't like the idea of a full-cap. Apparently the nape area at the bottom at the back is a pain to get attached.

Actually, it is very easy to get the nape attached, and much easier to get a full or 3/4 cap straight. The problem isn't getting it attached it's keeping it attached. I use tape in the back which tends to lift after a couple of days. This creates some additional maintenance issues.

Quote:As for attachment products. I love blue lace tape, but you'll get more like 7 days attachment with that one. It's easy to clean up with some desolvit. MUCH easier to clean up than any glue I've tried. But if you have to use glue, go for oil resistant white glue. Ghost bond might work okay for you, but it didn't for me. And ultrahold didn't even last 1 day for me.

The great thing about blue lace tape is that it gives the strongest attachment out of all the products I've used. Plus it looks pretty good at the hairline too. It can goo up at the 6 or 7 day mark, but a detach with desolvit and a mirror slide cleans it up nicely.

I like blue liner as well. It tends to break down easily but that actually makes it stick better in the nape.

Stick It tape has been working pretty good for me as well.
(04-11-2011, 09:00 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi expriest.... I guess you`ll have to experiment with a few different ones to find the products which `work`for you... I`m in a similar position ..have been wearing toppers and now just ordered my first full-cap......like you my sides/back are just so thin now I can`t `do`anything with it ..... the back perimeter will be sitting just below the occipital bone which is the round bone at the base of the skull which is about an inch or so above the line of the hairline.....I`ll leave that little bit of my own hair to remain in place/grow down to give a realistic `look`.....have a look through JRob`s site for definitive information on the whole area of full-caps and then you should be able to make your final decision on what path to go.
http://hairjive.com/ Paul.

Giving the full cap thing a go, eh Paul?

Can't wait to see it!
04-21-2011, 10:01 AM,
(04-20-2011, 01:17 PM)timguyperson Wrote: Keeping it attached is what I was talking about.

The only real issue that I have is the very edge of the nape. And it isn't that it lifts completely off of my scalp, it just lifts at the very edge which makes it more detectable to touch so if you are worried about that you have to make sure you keep up with your touch-ups.