Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions and pictures
02-25-2011, 11:44 AM,
RE: Questions and pictures
I know it is not maintenance free but sacrificing 1-2 hours one day per week is way better than 15 minutes every day and for crap results that make it impossible to:
- sleep in others' beds
- swim
- wear helmet or cap
- walk in rain or wind
- touch my hair(!)

No, I am not happy with the concealer. It takes care of the top (to some extent) but does nothing for the hairline and as I am 6’5” tall, that’s the main (and often the only) thing people notice.

I never had really low forehead. Even as teenager my hairline was quite high (but not unnatural) and I didn’t really have temple points. Not because of thinning, but just because of individual characteristics. Not every non-balding male has pronounced temple points.

This is picture of my hair at 17. (10 years ago):
http://img200.imageshack.us/i/68290779.jpg/
02-25-2011, 12:35 PM,
Can you post a pic/s of the style you want to achieve?
02-25-2011, 08:52 PM,
(02-25-2011, 12:35 PM)Henry Wrote: Can you post a pic/s of the style you want to achieve?
A mix of this:
http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/galle...58x837.jpg
http://www.feastoffun.com/wp-content/upl...wanten.jpg

and that:
http://weblogs.cw11.com/news/local/morni...n1002a.jpg
with sides more like in the later one as mine are a bit too uncontrollable when long.
02-25-2011, 09:43 PM,
Thanks for showing the style you want. It makes a big difference to giving good advice. I personally would shave it all off and go for a full topper.

This pic confirmed it for me

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/2templea.jpg/

I was going to suggest 2 small partial for these corners and 1 small partial for the crown. But it would be too tedius and work to achieve mediocre results. Yes, it would be a shame to shave that thick stuff at the front.

The very front hairline doesn't look too thin, you could even get away with having 1-2cm of your own hair there and put the topper behind that.
02-25-2011, 10:03 PM,
Hi Val .. I think I`d go with Henry`s suggestion ..shave it all off... I had a good look at all your pics yesterday and while it seems a shame to remove the `middle`, it will inevitably continue to thin anyway..it`s just a question of at what rate [time-wise] ...partials would be `messier`to work with in your case...it would be easier to just work with the one topper.The pic of the styles you`d like to achieve are very do-able and should suit you nicely ..you`ll be able to get away with that nice [higher] density as your sides are good. I know you were asking about the crown area.. I`ll have a look at that again later on and come back to you on it... a certain amount of thinness/scalp show-through there is normal on most people and adds to the realism/overall `look` ... you might be wise to allow a certain amount of show -through there...... it can be tricky just at that point when making the template as to where to have the back perimeter ending due to the swirl/ change of hair direction there, but nothing that can`t be dealt -with ! Regards, Paul.
02-25-2011, 10:05 PM,
Thanks. As I mentioned, one of the biggest reason for me to go for a unit is lowering the hairline. I don't want to play around with 3 different pieces cause that is more difficult and less rewarding than a full topper.

Could you also comment on other questions I asked in the first post, like density, graduation etc.
(02-25-2011, 10:03 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: a certain amount of thinness/scalp show-through there is normal on most people and adds to the realism/overall `look` ... you might be wise to allow a certain amount of show -through there......
Paul, thanks for your valuable input. I modified my first post, so if you had a read through it again, that'd be great. I added a part about crown-see through with an example of what is too much. I realise scalp visibility adds realism and would be good to have it. However, I have seen some pictures on this forum where with the unit on, people look like they are still pretty much balding in crown area and I am a bit freaked out by that. I don't want to order 75% density and then find out I have orange-size see-through area on top.

Speaking of which, what density should I go for considering not only the crown, but blending with the rest?
02-26-2011, 01:16 AM,
Hi again Val .. I need to pop out for an hour or two...I`ll sit to the PC later and give you my in-put then [ having said that I`m no `expert`lol ! ] I want to have a good look at the pics again and give you my thoughts on it, including densities etc.. Paul.
02-26-2011, 07:32 AM,
OK Val... I`ve drawn lines where I think you should go to with the perimeter [ excuse it being `shaky` but I`m using a laptop] It does seem a pity to lose your `middle`hair but your temple area is right back and needs coverage....it`s only apparent on that front view....if you`re looking at it from the crown pic, it looks like you have good hair all the way except for the crown itself.......just purely from the practical aspects of attaching and wearing ...rather than wearing partials, a topper will be easiest to work with. I have `hatched` the point on the sideburn area where the system will end...I suggest maybe getting French lace there because it`s stronger than Swiss and will withstand the `pulling`it will get at that point when you`re de-bonding..... I don`t/haven`t yet worn French, but the guys here say it`s really not much more `noticeable` to yourself when it`s sitting on your head... just two strips there should not cause any issues for you ... you say you might like to expose the front hairline at times ...the Swiss lace is the most undetectable to the eye there for that purpose.... at the back there...you hair grows upwards/forward just below the black line.... so if you get your system hair ventilated [tied] in that same direction it will blend in quite well.......a 65-70% density should be enough for you [Toplace densities are `high`so the figures I gave would be equal to 85-90% on `other`hair systems] I`m just thinking too of the style you want to emulate ..you`ll need the higher density for that..... I`m sure other readers will give an opinion here too..........I`m replying now from memory... I think you asked about types of glues etc...the best thing to do is look at Debbie`s site ...and the various ones are shown there along with their respective strengths and usual bond-period you could expect from them ...it`s sensible to order 2 or 3 different ones as a newbie and then you can find which one you like best ..they are relatively cheap ....I`d use glue for the front [though many like the walker no-shine tape there--again it`s a personal choice thing].... the initial few days / week or two of wearing is a learning curve..nothing to be feared , but if you have `alternatives` to hand it`s just a matter of trying a different one if you find one doesn`t perform as well as you`d like. I wouldn`t wear longer than a week to be honest...clean up is easier if you do it regularly. I find lace very long-lasting but others have maybe `less happy` experiences with it...again it`s down to many factors..there`s no hard and fast rule on it.... I presently do a nightly de-bond so I`m that bit `lighter`on my system and not sleeping on it probably helps them last longer too.... I shampoo sparingly/infrequently ...again it`s hard to give an exact answer..it`s a bit like the old question `how long is a piece of string`` [you know what I mean anyway] Your hair colour is `tricky`..it looks like a sandy type of fair... you don`t have to worry too much about exact amounts to send in as a sample, about an inch length if you can, and pencil diameter...it`s vital to get a proper colour match. I think the pics would be very helpful with your order ..you can show your growing hair/thin area and importantly ...your hair direction.....this will ensure you get it ventilated in the correct direction and also stick in a pic of the ideal crown density you`d like ....... enclose the pics of the styles you`d like to copy and you should have no probs....... I hope that gives you some ideas.....and other readers/wearers will give their opinions...... I don`t claim to know it all..... but I know this game is a lot easier than you might think....... Paul.
p.s. you asked about the higher densities being more detectable to the touch .. the more hair the more knots there will be so it`s probable that it might be .. I only wear 55% so maybe a wearer of a high -density system will answer that more definitely for you.

Attached Files Image(s)

02-26-2011, 09:11 AM,
Or keep using concealers on the crown, for at least 6 months-1 year.

Get 2 small pieces for the triangle areas? Get used to wearing, and then get a full topper?
02-26-2011, 09:58 AM,
(02-25-2011, 09:43 PM)Henry Wrote: Thanks for showing the style you want. It makes a big difference to giving good advice. I personally would shave it all off and go for a full topper.

This pic confirmed it for me

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/2templea.jpg/

I was going to suggest 2 small partial for these corners and 1 small partial for the crown. But it would be too tedius and work to achieve mediocre results. Yes, it would be a shame to shave that thick stuff at the front.

The very front hairline doesn't look too thin, you could even get away with having 1-2cm of your own hair there and put the topper behind that.

Ahh,
Based on the hairstyle that u r trying to achieve you should go for a full topper.
They stylist would shave the top of your head and place a piece that fits and cut/style it appropriately.
Go with SFS 65%-70% body wave.
Your hair color is interesting cuz there are different blonde/ash/etc involved.
You need to make sure that you nail the color! That will make it blend great with your sides and back.
Due to the high density, it will be easy to attatch and make undetectable.
If you go with partials for the front it is difficult to make it work in my own opinion.
Go for the topper.
It's so weird when the stylist shaves your head. But the end result is worth it.