Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newbie supplies,,,,,,,what do i need? :)
02-11-2011, 05:56 AM,
newbie supplies,,,,,,,what do i need? :)
ok so my first stock piece arrived today, i need to get some supplies like glues, and glove remover and stuff, can anyone suggest some stuff please? Smile
02-11-2011, 06:24 AM,
RE: newbie supplies,,,,,,,what do i need? :)
-Glue: 1 clear and 1 white. I recommend Superstick and Ghostbond. But I always have a small bottle of Ultrahold too.

-Tape: Blue liner (roll and cc contour strips) I use this alot, because it is strong and I like 1 week constient holds.

I have supertape and walkers no shine too. I mix the tape up sometimes, so my skin doesn't get used to one type of tape.

-Glue remover: I have amber, but you can use any citrus based remover. Desolvit is good to remove stubborn glue. You use amber etc on your head to remove the glue, desolvit is used on the piece only...you put a little some cold water and soak the piece in it for a while. But make sure you have removed as much glue as you can using the mirror/bubble wrap slide.

-Bubble wrap you MUST have this. I use the magazine slide, then do a bubble wrap slide. And it cleans off the glue brilliantly.

-Silk pillow case (I have 3)

-Cocktail sticks, for applying the glue.

-Any styling product without alcohol denat.
02-11-2011, 08:44 AM,
do u use the tape and glue together?
when you say cocktail sticks; how does this help apply glue, do u not use a brush?
thanks for the info
02-11-2011, 12:08 PM,
I use tape apart from Superstick at the hairline (3 thin coats)

I've tried brushes, but they are alot of hassle to clean.
02-11-2011, 08:21 PM,
I use a cotton bud [swab] ....I pull the looser cotton tip off, leaving the `anchor`cotton which is stuck to the tip, I dip it in the glue[not too deeply]..... I use the same one over and over because after a few applications, a kind of `bulb`of glue builds up on it ... I use it to smear the glue on, very little sticks /remains on it. Eventually if the glue-ball gets a little too large, you can simply cut it off with a scissors.When I`m finished using it, I lie it on some object with the glue-end overhanging the edge so it`s not in contact with any surface...... it just dries naturally without sticking to anything. I suppose the easiest thing is an artists paintbrush, for a newbie, but you`ll have to clean the brush each time.....just put a little solvent into a very small [glass] container and allow the brush to stand in it for a while.... Paul.
p.s. Did you get sorted out with a stylist ? I know of another one now in Dublin if you`re `stuck`..am waiting to get a price off him for a cut-in and will let you know when I get the information ...
02-12-2011, 12:30 AM,
yo paul, great to hear from you again, sorry i havent been as active on this in a couple of weeks, i just got back into the gym and between that and other things. that sounds good i think ill use ur technique, does the amount of glue layers u use depend on the glue your using? does it give instructinos on the bottle? yea i have found one, whats ur email again? Smile thanks pal
02-12-2011, 12:51 AM,
Hi tyler.. in general ``less is best`` when applying glues---ALL glues....it`s vital to apply it very thinly and each layer should be allowed to `cure`before the next layer is applied....they all have the instructions on the bottle...the main issue for not allowing glues to cure properly is you`ll press the lace down onto several layers of wet glue and it will simply ooze through the lace and onto/into the hair giving you a real real chore....... you can help the glue to cure by using a hair-dryer on warm ..just direct the air stream onto the glue for a while. Exercise etc. is not advised for a full 24-hours after bonding..the glue is still curing fully..you`ll shorten the `life`of the bond otherwise from sweating/moisture/heat. The mail is [email protected]....... regards for now....Paul.
02-12-2011, 11:59 PM,
thanks paul, thats good info rite there. do u use tape on the back and sides and glue at the front? or just glue all around?
02-13-2011, 12:26 AM,
Hi tyler... I have a poly strip around the sides/back so I find a few little strips of tape does me fine there and I use glue on the front....again...it`s a matter of choice.....there are a few new threads/posts there now on how guys attach and their preferences....I assume you`re going to a salon anyway for your initial cut-in ? If it`s one of the ones recommended here, they`ll be able to advise/show you how to do it ...I guess tape is easier to work with initially around the back and sides as you only have to peel off the backing strip and bond the system on rather than applying layers of glue, and positioning the system ...you`ll get the `hang`of it in no time..it`s not as tricky as you might think.... Paul
02-13-2011, 12:36 AM,
Cocktail sticks are so much easier, give it a try, use the flat end. This way I get THIN coats on, using a hairdryer set on medium for 1 minute between coats speeds things up.