Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I Take the Plunge? (with pics)
02-01-2011, 01:39 PM,
Should I Take the Plunge? (with pics)
Hey Guys, I need some advice. I am in my early 20's and started noticing hairloss around 19 years of age. Since then Ive gotten by on using concealers and wearing my hair always combed down to hide recession. However, my hairline is at a point where it is even hard to comb down my hair without noticing large gaps of forehead that is cause by my receeding hairline. Im thinking I should do something now and it wouldnt draw too much suspicion from others. I was thinking of getting a partial piece to fill in the front of my head and make it look healthy. The hair on the back/crown I wanted to leave and blend it in with a frontal piece. I attached pictures as a guide. The red mark drawn in is roughly where my initial hairline was. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

-Drew

Attached Files Image(s)

02-01-2011, 06:40 PM,
RE: Should I Take the Plunge? (with pics)
Hey drew,

I have consulted a couple of guys who just replaced small sections of hair in the front and the results were fantastic. It might be a little bit of a challenge having to deal with two pieces, but if you start when you are young it will make the transition easy and by the time you need to switch to a larger unit you will have a good idea of what you are doing. Keep us posted!
02-01-2011, 07:31 PM,
(02-01-2011, 01:39 PM)drew100 Wrote: Hey Guys, I need some advice. I am in my early 20's and started noticing hairloss around 19 years of age. Since then Ive gotten by on using concealers and wearing my hair always combed down to hide recession. However, my hairline is so bad that it is even hard to comb down my hair without noticing large gaps of forehead that is cause by my receeding hairline. Im thinking I should do something now and it wouldnt draw too much suspicion from others. I was thinking of getting a partial piece to fill in the front of my head and make it look healthy. The hair on the back/crown I wanted to leave and blend it in with a frontal piece. I attached pictures as a guide. The red mark drawn in is roughly where my initial hairline was. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

I am on the same boat as you drew but I started losing when I was 23. I am 25 now. I wilļ get my frontal partial in a couple days. I think now would be a good time to start. I think u should also look into propecia and rogaine also as u started young and it might be an aggressive form of hair loss. It will be a lot easier to do a frontal partial than a topper or a full cap. Propecia will prevent side hair from thinning along with the crown and anterior part of your scalp. Given u dont get side effects from propecia. Just my two cents. Can give u a better opinion once I get my first system.
02-02-2011, 01:33 AM,
to so easy to tell u yesto wearing. buti was 30+ when i started wearing . its alot of daily work.a better distance picture gives us a better idea... but if its really a bother 4 you and will boast your confidence .go for it. ifu do just get parcials not a full piece. if you really fall in love with it . then go shaved head and full piece. but if i still had alot of real hair i would wait. but i am not 23 i am 48 ..my 2 cents
bobby
02-02-2011, 02:08 AM,
I was in a similar position as you. I had a receeding hairline (mine had receeded a lot more than yours though, from what it seems in those pictures).

Read some of my previous posts, I was absolutely terrified of the idea of wearing and my first few days were a nightmare - nothing wrong with the piece, just mentally I was all over the place, thinking people would surely be able to tell.

But the people I told said they would have no idea. People who I didn't tell didn't glance up, not one comment (and I know a lot of smart arses who wouldn't hesitate to say something) and no stares when I am out in public. After seeing all these people, I am now 100% at ease with wearing.

It is definitely a positive experience.

However, there is a time committment and a trial and error period at the beginning (which I obviously am still going through).

As the above poster said, it would be good to see some better pictures (further away) so we can see how much hair you have lost or how much you have receeded.

Another thing - everyone will tell you that you should just use partials for the receeding hairline. I know I am a newbie and there are people a lot more experienced than me, but I totally disagree. I think you make even more blending issues for yourself with using partials. It is very easy to blend into the sides and back (especially with the amount of hair you have on your sides and back). But it is a hell of a lot harder to blend with the hair on the top of your head. I think it creates a lot more pressure to what will already be a learning experience in the beginning.

That is only my advice, I know a lot of others will disagree with the last point, but I honestly think partials are a lot more work than a full topper.
02-02-2011, 05:30 AM,
Thanks for the feedback guys, I can see it from both perspectives. What JRob said about partials being easier because they are only a small portion to attach with alot of real hair makes sense, however Snell's perspective where partials are harder because there is more real hair to blend is also something to consider. And I know alot of the older guys on this forum would tell me to wait but in all honestly when is the best time to wait before taking the plunge? I think if you attack early the transition is much smoother instead if you're fully bald. I attached a more wider pic that shows where I would shave and put a partial in. Once again, all advice is appreciated.

Attached Files Image(s)

02-02-2011, 06:34 AM,
Hi Drew ..welcome to the forum. You have the right attitude and now is the time to do something about your receding hair. The latest pic there ...your front point looks pretty ok ... the very first pic there [which is a little blurred] where you have your hand on top holding the hair back...... shows a `line` which is more or less hairless... that`s the line I`d shave in front-of [ hope you can follow me there] ...the hair behind is pretty good..... I`d just take off that front inch or so, and include 2 nice temple `triangles` attached to it ......basically try to re-create/replicate the exact area that your own hair used to grow from---you have the right idea there with your red line in the last pic.....just don`t go back too far would be my opinion..it`s just a little thin at the very front there and then the temples are the real ``culprits`` ...should look really good with a nice partial..... Paul.
02-02-2011, 07:49 AM,
Yes Paul, I agree the temples are the real culprits. Thats why I think filling in the hairline would give me a much healthier look.I adjusted the first picture so it shows what Paul is saying about shaving the front where the hairs are sparse. My forehead looks so wide because of the recession of both the hairline and temples, and as I mentioned Im 23 so it doesnt look suitable for my age as it would an older man. I made a quick template of just a hairline partial and was wondering if it would work well or if I should shave a bit of hair off to make it bigger and blend better.

Attached Files Image(s)

02-02-2011, 08:45 AM,
I reckon more or less the size/shape of the red outline in that pic there would do the trick... the pic on the right shows a `thinner` part there in the middle... basically a boomerang shape with the `bend-point` being wider to match that `island`of hair there right at the front .... just take your time and you`ll be grand.. Paul.
02-02-2011, 08:56 AM,
The template is in a boomerang shape because thats how it would look like if I just filled the front in without shaving any hair off. But with Paul's suggestion I can shave the sparse hairs off at the front and make a more straighter hairline partial as depicted in the picture next to my template pic