Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help - attachment coming loose at the back
01-26-2011, 11:02 AM,
Help - attachment coming loose at the back
I'm onto my 3rd day wearing. I must say, I am struggling with it at the moment.

After I woke up yesterday, i noticed the back could be pulled up if I tried. I assumed I hadn't put the ghost bond on correctly. So i did a detach/reattach and this time used supertape for the sides and ghost bond only for the front.

However, today, I wake up and the back has lifted way more! Even with the supertape. I have sort of just pushed it down and got it to stick because I don't want to do another detach/reattach a day later.

Why is this happening at the back? Do other people have this problem?

P.S. I am finding it rather difficult to wear mentally as well. I keep thinking something is "off". Do other people have these experiences when they start or maybe am I just not cut out to wear.
01-26-2011, 11:24 AM,
RE: Help - attachment coming loose at the back
Hi Snell,

I hope I am able to help. First thing I would ask is if you are applying the Ghost Bond correctly. You are supposed to apply a layer, wait for it to turn clear, then apply another layer and so forth until you have 4 layers. Then you wait around 7 minutes for it to settle a bit, then press the system firmly in to place. From there, make sure not to shower or work out for about 24 hours as the system settles. This how you are applying? I use Ghost Bond, applied this way and its been solid for 2 weeks now.

Regarding you feeling like something is off, that is much more difficult. From reading your past posts I think you are most likely just over thinking and worrying yourself. Most likely you'll need some sort of 'ah ha' moment or epiphany that it looks good. I know I had my little things I had to get used to. I thought at first maybe the hairline was too low, or the hair on top was too dark. Then I realized I was just used to my shaved head and no hairline so it was a mental adjustment for me. You should post pics and get opinions if you're really worried about it. People will be open, honest and helpful.

Lastly, did you have it cut in or do it yourself?
01-26-2011, 02:15 PM,
Great post Biltmore.

As far as the mental, you said yourself this is the 3rd day. Doing anything would still feel a bit 'weird' after only 3 days. Give it a few weeks and see how you feel then
01-26-2011, 10:08 PM,
Hi guys, I concur [ nice post Biltmore] ..it`s obviously to do with the way you are using / applying the glue....there`s no way a glue can give a bond of 2 weeks for some and only 2 days for other wearers..... is the scalp fully dry/oil-free when you apply ? Debbie has a product called Scalp protector which provides a good clean `foundation`for the glue if you happen to have an oily scalp...I think the best time/way to apply glue, is after a nice shower, when the scalp is nice and clean, relax for a while and allow the body to return to it`s normal temperature once you`re dressed [so as to avoid any possibility of a light layer of perspiration occouring] then just take your time, and apply the glue in VERY thin layers....allowing it to go almost dry between layers. As for feeling ``off`` --we`re all VERY conscious of our appearance [wouldn`t consider wearing otherwise] and we all adjust to the ```new you`` at different rates..... obviously it`s psychological and normal. We`re our own worst critics... most likely people don`t give you a second glance....you`re just conscious of the fact that you`re wearing....try casually looking about you when you`re in a Queue or at the checkout at a store...I`ll wager that anyone who casually looks in your direction or momentarily makes eye-contact, will look away again in a normal fashion.....if there was anything `amiss` they would look at you slightly longer than is normal in such social situations ..try it and see !
I totally get how you feel....the early days are like that for probably most wearers...give it a little time ...post a few pics please,as suggested, and we`ll let you know the truth...best wishes for now, Paul.
01-26-2011, 10:42 PM,
(01-26-2011, 11:02 AM)snell Wrote: I'm onto my 3rd day wearing. I must say, I am struggling with it at the moment.

After I woke up yesterday, i noticed the back could be pulled up if I tried. I assumed I hadn't put the ghost bond on correctly. So i did a detach/reattach and this time used supertape for the sides and ghost bond only for the front.

However, today, I wake up and the back has lifted way more! Even with the supertape. I have sort of just pushed it down and got it to stick because I don't want to do another detach/reattach a day later.

P.S. I am finding it rather difficult to wear mentally as well. I keep thinking something is "off". Do other people have these experiences when they start or maybe am I just not cut out to wear.

First of all:
follow ghost bond instructions. Make sure your scalp is squeaky clean.
When you rub your finger on your scalp (before glue) it should make the "squeaky" sound LOL. I get 2 weeks no touchups with GB.
Also, don't shower/sweat for 12 hours or so after initial attachment.
The glue/adhesives need to cure.
Make sure the piece is nice and tight against your whole skull when attaching.

Finally:
I felt crazy the first week. I thought everybody knew. Totally paranoid.
Ppl are oblivious to my change. I kept the same style with a left part.
There's just more hair now.
In the morning, I spray some water, comb and i'm out the door.
I find myslef looking at the mirror alot. But it's cuz I'm looking good LOL>
01-26-2011, 10:48 PM,
(01-26-2011, 10:42 PM)balamouti Wrote:
(01-26-2011, 11:02 AM)snell Wrote: I'm onto my 3rd day wearing. I must say, I am struggling with it at the moment.

First of all:
When you rub your finger on your scalp (before glue) it should make the "squeaky" sound LOL. I get 2 weeks no touchups with GB.

Finally:

I'm really struggling with it to be honest. The lifting at the back compounded everything. I know it's probably just me, but I just feel like I can tell.

I'm considering just shaving my head and giving this a go in a year or two, or even more, down the track when I am more mature.

If I am this paranoid, I am not sure if it is for me. I think it takes a certain type of person to be able to do this, and I'm not sure if I have it at the moment.

I'll see out 2 weeks, as I made myself do this for 2 weeks minimum. But if it's too hard, I can always try again another time.

Just one other question, I had a fair amount of hair left before I started wearing. Will the tapes and glue rip out these hairs permanently? Or if the head is shaved, should the tapes and glues not harm the existing hairs at all?
01-26-2011, 11:13 PM,
(01-26-2011, 10:48 PM)snell Wrote:
(01-26-2011, 10:42 PM)balamouti Wrote:

First of all:

Finally:

I'm really struggling with it to be honest. The lifting at the back compounded everything. I know it's probably just me, but I just feel like I can tell.

I'm considering just shaving my head and giving this a go in a year or two, or even more, down the track when I am more mature.

If I am this paranoid, I am not sure if it is for me. I think it takes a certain type of person to be able to do this, and I'm not sure if I have it at the moment.

I'll see out 2 weeks, as I made myself do this for 2 weeks minimum. But if it's too hard, I can always try again another time.

Just one other question, I had a fair amount of hair left before I started wearing. Will the tapes and glue rip out these hairs permanently? Or if the head is shaved, should the tapes and glues not harm the existing hairs at all?

You sound just like me.
When I went for my "cut-in" 5 months ago. She shaved the thinning area. I looked in the mirror and I looked like bozo the clown. That was traumatic. After she placed and cut/styled the unit it looked great.
I had to walk outside after that and I kept looking at ppl. I was totally freaking out man. I thought the world new.
I was totally wrong.

That first week sucked. She used proflex (good tape) all arround. But I was perspiring (nervous) during the attachemnt. This caused the tape to lift at the front. I wanted to rip it off and just shave everything and say fcuk it.
So, I cooled down and used glue for the front and took shower the next morning. It's weird but after a couple of days the hairline lace just dissappears completlely with skin oils merging with lace.
This option (a piece) is cool cuz you can try it for a couple of weeks and if it is not for you u can just shave it all off and it's all ok.
Remember that the piece will look best after you've been wearing/styling it for a couple of weeks. It's like taming a wild horse.
The HT route is surgery. It is one way road. If you shave the scar(s) are there forever.

My 2 cents.
01-26-2011, 11:26 PM,
Your hair roots are not affected by tape/glue.. your de-bonder fluids will simply liquify the products and you simply wipe them off your scalp....follicles are not affected .Paul.
01-27-2011, 01:23 AM,
Good on for trying. It takes balls to try and change something. It's a lifestyle change, but then so is shaving your hair. Once you get over the stigma, it gets better.
01-27-2011, 01:32 AM,
Did you wash the piece when you got it and before attachment?
I suspect that there could be some reidue on the lace that is stopping the bond becoming set.
This is quite common as the factories treat the piece with a silicon based conditioner to make the soft and shinny which in turn affects the base and coats it in a greasy film.
This could well be the problem if you are following the Ghost Bond instructions to the letter.
Don't lose heart just give the piece a good wash, i would recommend a good dish washing up liquid applied to the base and rinsed thoroughly then lightly shampoo and condition as normal,dry then reatatch.
Good luck!