Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can I Go Swimming With Supertape?
01-20-2011, 07:15 AM,
Can I Go Swimming With Supertape?
hey guys

quick question from my side. how good is the supertape in terms of swimming and hot weather? can i just jump into the water on the beach couple times a week or do you see any problems? i have never used any tape before, only glue, but i am thinking about to switch to supertape.

thanks a lot, jay
01-20-2011, 09:59 AM,
RE: Can I Go Swimming With Supertape?
I always wondered,

Will sand stick the the glue on the front ? that would be a real fun breaker cause this summer I will go to the beach each week.
01-20-2011, 09:11 PM,
Hi guys.. I have rolls of it, but haven`t used it yet so can`t give a definitive answer, but if it`s a really strong tape, I can see no reason not to swim. You`d be really surprised at how strong glues and [strong] tapes are. Obviously prolonged exposure to salt water etc will have an effect, but certainly you`re in no danger of literally just hopping into the water and your system de-bonding......just won`t happen. As for sand sticking to glue..the glue doesn`t remain wet/tacky...... it sets. It`s usually advised to allow 24 hours after a bond is done, before engaging in highly active things like gym etc....... otherwise the `life`of the bond may be compromised. Even when I used the Salon, I was always told to wait 24 hours for the glue to fully cure before exercising etc. Paul.
01-20-2011, 10:11 PM,
I agree with Paul, you must leave it a good 24 hours for the bond to cement before you get into the water.

Blue liner is the strongest tape there is, you won't have a problem using this tape. But the clean up is messy if you leave it on longer than a week.
01-21-2011, 12:18 AM,
thanks a lot for the comments and suggestions guys! sounds good from what i read so far.

i will be spending some months in singapore very soon and will spend a lot of days on the beaches in singapore, thailand, indonesia, malaysia and so forth. therefore the water/swimming aspect will be crucial for me regarding the months to come.

the reason why i use tape (and not glue) is clean up in the first place, so i guess the blue liner tape is not really an option for me. i have heard that supertape is comparatively easy to clean up, do you agree on that?

thanks, jay
01-21-2011, 10:41 AM,
It has bee my experience supertape is easy to clean if you don't let stay on more than a week. After that, it begins to break down and over time becomes a gooey mess. It mirror slides off okay, but I don't want to stay in the bathroom for an hour mirror sliding my piece. A week was a good time without too much hassle.
01-24-2011, 08:32 PM,
My experience- I worked on 2 Cruise ships and every Port was beach and sun. I always blue taped the front so I could change it every day after the fun. Never had a problem swimming or jet skiing. I use Ultrahold on the sides and back. When I am doing the beach or lots of swimming-diving I wear my poly side/back pieces. With UH they don´t move a millimeter. The lace front tape I change every day so it stays clean and fresh.

That´s just what i do -not the Gospel :-)