Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
experience with coloring blonde hairpieces to get exact match
01-16-2011, 12:02 PM,
experience with coloring blonde hairpieces to get exact match
Hi all,
Just had my new unit cut in. I ordered a blond unit and colored it with hair color 6.0 which is natural dark blond (or natural light brown as you wish). The result on the piece is exactly what I expected. I alsô colored my own hair with the same product and suprisingly my own hair turned more medium brown. Result: I don't have an exact match. Has anybody experienced the same issue? And what is the solution? Should I color my own hair with a 7.0 to get an exact match now? Kind regards. Paco.
01-16-2011, 09:19 PM,
RE: experience with coloring blonde hairpieces to get exact match
Hi paco71. I have no experience of using blonde colours [my hair is a very dark brown/almost black] What product did you use ? Basically system hair tends to `grab`colour much faster than growing hair ...... I have used colouring products in the past [not on my present system] when the hair began to look a copper-ish colour after a few months. I would only apply/leave it on system hair for 3 minutes max. then rinse out and apply conditioner, but would have to leave it in the growing hair 15 to 20 minutes to achieve the same depth of colour. A tip --if you need to `lighten`a shade or two [having gone too `deep`] is to apply creme peroxide through the hair..that will lighten the shade or`water it down` for you. Colouring can be tricky --timing is the important issue....only a few minutes on the system, but much longer on growing hair.. 7 or 8 times longer. I hope that gives you an idea of what may have gone wrong for you .. why did you just not order system hair to match your growing hair rather than giving yourself `hassle`from the start ? Paul.
01-16-2011, 10:58 PM,
(01-16-2011, 09:19 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hi paco71. I have no experience of using blonde colours [my hair is a very dark brown/almost black] What product did you use ? Basically system hair tends to `grab`colour much faster than growing hair ...... I have used colouring products in the past [not on my present system] when the hair began to look a copper-ish colour after a few months. I would only apply/leave it on system hair for 3 minutes max. then rinse out and apply conditioner, but would have to leave it in the growing hair 15 to 20 minutes to achieve the same depth of colour. A tip --if you need to `lighten`a shade or two [having gone too `deep`] is to apply creme peroxide through the hair..that will lighten the shade or`water it down` for you. Colouring can be tricky --timing is the important issue....only a few minutes on the system, but much longer on growing hair.. 7 or 8 times longer. I hope that gives you an idea of what may have gone wrong for you .. why did you just not order system hair to match your growing hair rather than giving yourself `hassle`from the start ? Paul.

This is what I do -NOT to be taken as the only way.
I dye-color before I cut any extra lace off.
I turn the piece upside down and use a wide tooth comb to apply the coloring. I hold the edge of the base so there is never any dye sliding down the hair shaft towards the base. Essentially it looks like when you have your head upside down. Since I have the coloring gloves on I can comb the hair and not stain myself or the base. After I have the color on I set the base upside down on plastic wrap or baking paper. It´s just what I have at home.
When it´s time to rinse the piece I do it from the base side with cool water.
For my color #3 it is about 10-12 minutes. This is the first and only time the base gets wet.
When I do another I can make a video.
01-17-2011, 03:57 AM,
I left the color on my own hair during 35 minutes as indicated. On the unit I left it on for 12 minutes as unit hair absorbs 3 times faster. Color was applied by a professional stylist and even he doesn't understand why the result is different.
01-17-2011, 04:10 AM,
Must be an issue with the product so ..it`s a bit `hit-and-miss` at times .....stylist would be much more experienced than most of us, I would have thought.....only thing to do is try a different shade on your own hair ? Would be interested to hear how you get on with it... Paul.
01-17-2011, 05:01 AM,
Try doing small patch tests on where your hair meets the piece hair. Trying out a shade lighter and darker on different sections.
01-17-2011, 09:45 AM,
@Paul: I think that next time I will try a 7.0 on my own hair indeed (or as my stylist advised first try a mix of 6.0 and 7.0) and see how that turns out. My stylist also told me that some hair types absorb the color more and turn darker than hoped for. So maybe if I use a 7.0 the match will be perfect.
@ Henry: the idea is appealling. Only thing is that I'm afraid I will end up with a weird looking patchwork.
01-17-2011, 10:11 AM,
The hair that's used in hair pieces take color very quickly.
General "rule" is to color the unit 1 shade [b]lighter[\b] than
your existing hair color.
Also, only leave it in for 15 minutes or so. You'll
have to experiment a little on the time. Remember
that the unit takes up the color very quickly.
Also, if you're starting with a blond colored unit and coloring
it darker, you'll probably only want to use a 10 volume developer.

Fred