Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about Stock Unit
01-11-2011, 12:24 PM,
Question about Stock Unit
While I wait for a custom to be made I was thinking of getting a stock unit. My question, how many people have problems with fit on the head of a stock? Is there a way for me to measure my head against what a good fit would be? (meaning is my head too curved, I sound as if I'm describing a bowling ball LOL)

Thanks
FH
01-11-2011, 12:42 PM,
RE: Question about Stock Unit
(01-11-2011, 12:24 PM)FreshHair Wrote: While I wait for a custom to be made I was thinking of getting a stock unit. My question, how many people have problems with fit on the head of a stock? Is there a way for me to measure my head against what a good fit would be? (meaning is my head too curved, I sound as if I'm describing a bowling ball LOL)

Thanks
FH

Welcome to the forums! I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you right now and am doing exactly what you are thinking about. My stock unit should get to me tomorrow. I had Toplace send it directly to Debbie with my template to be cut to the size of my template and styled. She then sent it to me with all the products I need. What I did was have John look at my template and gauge if my head would fit a stock system well. I would recommend you do the same. Personally I wanted to get going with my new hair asap. So ask John his opinion and then hae Debbie cut the stock system to the size of your template. Good luck!!
01-11-2011, 12:44 PM,
Before you get a stock unit, make sure the color and density that will closely match your needs is available. Watch out especially for the hairline contour. Stocks can fit as well as customs on your head, but if it is a temp only, it need not be a concern if it does or doesn't have pleats in the lace. You will need to cut the lace to your template pattern, except the hairline, of course. Cut it in, and you're good until your custom arrives.
01-11-2011, 02:04 PM,
Good point mcnash. All the stock units are SFS all lace with medium density. The big thing is color matching which John should be able to help with also
01-11-2011, 02:46 PM,
On average how long (many months)does a stock unit last you before you need to replace it?
01-11-2011, 02:55 PM,
(01-11-2011, 02:46 PM)phoenix13 Wrote: On average how long (many months)does a stock unit last you before you need to replace it?

Much of that depends on the quality care given to the system. If it is regularly cleaned, had knot sealer, a leave in conditioner, etc, it should last as long as any other all lace TL100 system. Its just a TL100 SFS system with medium density, free style and body wave.
01-11-2011, 03:05 PM,
Thanks for the replies. The thing that I like about the stock is, from seeing pics, the density of the stock at around 65% is what I would want to order (for a first order at least) and I want freestyle with 1B hair. So in many ways I fit the stock unit perfectly, my only concern is with fit, but since I don't think my head is massive LOL I would think I could use it while a custom is being built. Plus I know I want to try the all lace system first, which are the stock units, then try an iLace system. I like the style and look of Rueben's hair and he uses an iLace system.

Question about knot sealer, this you would apply once it's cut in and styled, correct?

And one more question, what would you recommend as a leave in conditioner?

(01-11-2011, 02:55 PM)Biltmore602 Wrote:
(01-11-2011, 02:46 PM)phoenix13 Wrote: On average how long (many months)does a stock unit last you before you need to replace it?

Much of that depends on the quality care given to the system. If it is regularly cleaned, had knot sealer, a leave in conditioner, etc, it should last as long as any other all lace system. Its just a TL100 SFS system with medium density, free style and body wave.

(01-11-2011, 12:44 PM)mcnash Wrote: Watch out especially for the hairline contour....You will need to cut the lace to your template pattern, except the hairline, of course.

I just re-read this part and have a question, stock units have a pre-determined hairline? I can't alter it or cut it to curve as I would like?
01-11-2011, 09:28 PM,
Biltmore, what you wrote isnt really helpful its purely speculative and full of shoulds.
Id like data from experienced wearers of stock units thanks.

I had two french lace systems which lasted 10 months.
But I really doubt sfs being a lot thinner and more fragile would withstand thst kindof durability given the same care.

I have never ordered a stock unit so Id like to know how it stacks up in durability.

What Id like to know is how long wearers if an sfs system managed to get their system to last before replacements were necessary.
01-11-2011, 09:43 PM,
(01-11-2011, 09:28 PM)phoenix13 Wrote: Biltmore, what you wrote isnt really helpful its purely speculative and full of shoulds.
Id like data from experienced wearers of stock units thanks.

I had two french lace systems which lasted 10 months.
But I really doubt sfs being a lot thinner and more fragile would withstand thst kindof durability given the same care.

I have never ordered a stock unit so Id like to know how it stacks up in durability.

What Id like to know is how long wearers if an sfs system managed to get their system to last before replacements were necessary.

My answers are from me asking the same questions and the experienced wearers answering me. But since you decide to be a jerk about me trying to help I won't respond to your non-sense anymore
01-11-2011, 11:57 PM,
@ biltmore thank you also jerk.
Leave the responses to someone with experience, that would be helpful.