Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stylist in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area & help choosing a base
12-28-2010, 02:59 PM,
Stylist in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area & help choosing a base
Hello everyone,

I am just about to order my first system from Toplace and am looking for a good stylist in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

Additionally, I have decided which 'model' to purchase yet, so any help is greatly appreciated. A little about me: I'm 33 and a very active and social person. Priority to me is realism in both look and feel. I usually spend summers in Seattle, so the summer heat of Arizona should not play into my choice.

Thank you for all you help. I truly like how its a tight knit group here of guys that have gone through the same things. Been the most informative and non biased source I have found on this. Smile
12-28-2010, 09:42 PM,
RE: Stylist in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area & help choosing a base
Hello Biltmore602 and welcome to the forum.... I can`t help you with the stylist unfortunately, but hopefully another wearer can recommend one.... otherwise, just do what I did...just simply approached one [with the system in a paper bag ] and asked her if she`d oblige me with a cut-in! She agreed and saw it as a bit of a challenge and `different`to her more mundane routine.You`ll probably get some refusals but one will agree to try it..... it`s no different to cutting a `normal`head of long hair..just that it`s attached to an artificial scalp.
Can you maybe post a pic showing what kind of hair you presently have [wavy, straight etc]? You have no worries about the look/feel of the hair...it`s real human hair after all. I guess lace is the lightest material to wear and best for a `real`look at the front hairline, especially if any of that area is exposed [i.e. with a swept-back style or spikey look ] Just give us a bit more information and maybe a pic or two and hopefully we can give more opinions ! Regards, Paul.
12-29-2010, 07:41 AM,
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. Sending a picture of my current hair would be a bit useless since I just stopped shaving my head about 3 weeks ago. So not a ton there yet. I basically have the normal male pattern balding with the bald spot in the back, some density up front but with recession at the temples. In terms of hair waviness, its pretty straight unless I let it grow long, then it gets wavy. I would most likely be going with a hairstyle that shows the hairline if possible. I am sure what I am looking for is the same as everyone else; realism, ease of use, and confidence it'll stay in place. LOL. Thanks again.
12-29-2010, 08:27 AM,
It`s best to try to re -create your original look, so that will govern what you order. Sounds like bodywave will suit you if you intend wearing it on the longer side, or ,if going to stay short, then order straight hair. Just get your template done now and by the time the system arrives your own will have grown to where you want it. Paul.
12-29-2010, 08:32 AM,
I was thinking the same thing. If I wear it longer it wouldn't be for a while since I'd have to wait for the sides and back to get longer. So I guess the next question is if I should order a custom one from John, or a stock system from him. A custom take 4-6 weeks correct? How soon if I expedite it? And what difference would I notice in the stock systems he has after I had someone like Debbie cut it to size? Thanks.
12-29-2010, 09:00 AM,
Some people can wear stock very well [fit-wise] Custom is made to the shape of the template you submit, therefore will fit the exact contours of your particular skull shape. Stock can be a bit `hit and miss`from that point of view..... I had a stock one initially and was happy with it overall, but on the perimeter up near the crown, it was inclined to `pleat` as it was not the exact shape of the skull there, so not as good a fit.... the quality etc. is fine, just the fit can be a bit `off`. I`d allow at least 6 weeks for a custom, possibly a little bit longer, depending on things like where a person lives and things like Holidays etc. Stock are obviously more `limited`in the size, density and they are all freestyle. Custom allows for your exact specifications to be created. Debbie can style it for you if you send her a pic of what you want or what your hair used to look like. I`m not totally sure [this came up in another recent thread/post] if she cuts the base itself but i`m pretty sure she does.. I seem to remember seeing some video clip of it being done, but it was quite a while back..can anyone confirm please? Paul.
12-29-2010, 09:11 AM,
Ya I read a post from Debbie where she says she cuts the bases to size. But I have thought about the contours of your skull. Very good point. I'll talk to John and see what he thinks. Thanks again Paul.
12-29-2010, 09:30 AM,
(12-28-2010, 02:59 PM)Biltmore602 Wrote: Hello everyone,

I am just about to order my first system from Toplace and am looking for a good stylist in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area.

Additionally, I have decided which 'model' to purchase yet, so any help is greatly appreciated. A little about me: I'm 33 and a very active and social person. Priority to me is realism in both look and feel. I usually spend summers in Seattle, so the summer heat of Arizona should not play into my choice.

Thank you for all you help. I truly like how its a tight knit group here of guys that have gone through the same things. Been the most informative and non biased source I have found on this. Smile
I think the most realistic imo is all swiss lace secured withy glue, there is a learning curve with applying the glue , placement of the piece , cleaning the piece, later this week I will post some photos and I will do a video from making a template, to glue and clean up and I will also do a cut in using a flowbee
(12-28-2010, 09:42 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Hello Biltmore602 and welcome to the forum.... I can`t help you with the stylist unfortunately, but hopefully another wearer can recommend one.... otherwise, just do what I did...just simply approached one [with the system in a paper bag ] and asked her if she`d oblige me with a cut-in! She agreed and saw it as a bit of a challenge and `different`to her more mundane routine.You`ll probably get some refusals but one will agree to try it..... it`s no different to cutting a `normal`head of long hair..just that it`s attached to an artificial scalp.
Can you maybe post a pic showing what kind of hair you presently have [wavy, straight etc]? You have no worries about the look/feel of the hair...it`s real human hair after all. I guess lace is the lightest material to wear and best for a `real`look at the front hairline, especially if any of that area is exposed [i.e. with a swept-back style or spikey look ] Just give us a bit more information and maybe a pic or two and hopefully we can give more opinions ! Regards, Paul.
ps I'm sure John can email a customer in that area and ask who does their cut in
12-30-2010, 12:46 PM,
Thanks Mike and Paul. I sent John my template yesterday and we are going to tweak the order to make sure its right when he gets it.

Anyone have a stylist in Phoenix/Scottsdale to refer to me? Thanks again!
12-30-2010, 02:18 PM,
(12-30-2010, 12:46 PM)Biltmore602 Wrote: Thanks Mike and Paul. I sent John my template yesterday and we are going to tweak the order to make sure its right when he gets it.

Anyone have a stylist in Phoenix/Scottsdale to refer to me? Thanks again!

I'm done in Tucson and though I almost always cut in my own system, I, some times, get it cut in. I simply go to any stylist. Hair is hair.
I tell 'em it's a hairpiece and no one has had any problems at all with that.

Smile
Fred