Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie in Orlando (photo)
12-16-2010, 05:23 PM,
Newbie in Orlando (photo)
Hello everyone, before I tell you my story, I wanted to take a brief moment to thank all of you on this forum. Although I just had my account activated, I have been roaming around here for quite some time and it never seizes to amaze me regarding the amount of support everyone here has for one another. Whether you agree or disagree with something, you share your two cents but fot the most part with good intentions. The reality is that you get no economic value out of this, maybe a few thank you’s here and there, but mainly, you just take time out of your lives to extend a helping hand to another person whom you’ve never met yet share a common bond with. Anyways, I didn’t mean to sound so sappy, but it’s the truth, and I’m certainly man enough to appreciate it.

I have made the decision of trying out a system simply because a hair transplant just doesn’t seem like a viable option for me. Frankly, I haven’t seen the results with it that I have with some systems. The expense and time it actually takes to see “IF” it even worked simply doesn’t work for me at this time. I’m a poor law school student and just thinking about the potential scarring and all those things isn’t enough to persuade me to try it…keep in mind, I’m only saying that it’s not for me, if you have the money and you can do it and it works for you, Awesome!

Although it is tough to get around the thought process of actually “wearing a piece,” I finally realized that it can’t possibly be any worse than wearing the concealers that I have for the past six years or so. I mean, the way I look at it, If I’m willing to walk around law school with a bunch of black powder on top of my head (or like on some emergency situations, have actually used black erasable markers on my crown to help disguise reality), then I think wearing a system simply can’t be a step down, perhaps a parallel step, but definitely not down.

Frankly guys, I’m tired of it, I’m tired of my heart skipping two beats every time I see a cloud in the sky and I’m out with friends walking from a pub to another and hoping that no rain comes down. Or not being able to wear white shirts because girls will pick what I call “black dandruff”(Toppik) from my t-shirts. I understand that wearing a system is not an all perfect solution which will relieve me of all my hair loss problems, I’m sure it will come with its own set of obstacles, but guys, I think I’m ready to give it a try. I’ve seen plenty enough people on here and other forums swear by it and I think I’m ready to make that leap…

Honestly, I want to take control of my life back, and this is has effected me for way too long now.

I think that I may be able to prolong actually getting one until May (maybe) which is when school lets out, but I would like to be able to have everything in hand by then, and then ready to take the plunge….that way make a smooth transition for the incoming fall semester. This will give me the summer to learn and perfect my new “hair.”

I’ve researched and researched places to buy from and the reality is that you can’t find a forum where you won’t find at least something negative said about each and every supplier out there. Things will happen with any business, but at least from what I’ve read, Toplace seems to always be right in there mentioned in the top lists to purchase from, so I think it’s only fair to give this place a shot….

Anyways, I will be posting up some photos this weekend, and was hoping that you guys would be kind enough to share with me advice that I have seen you share with so many other newbies, and sort of point me in the right direction as to my viable options and your opinions on what I should get…I can’t tell you how much I would appreciate it.

Secondly, I live in Orlando, FL and if there is anybody around this area, Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville….heck I’d even drive to Miami if I had to…….. that would be willing to help me get started on this journey, (how to make a template, density, etc...) it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you once again, and I will be posting my pics over the weekend, so I look forward to your comments….

Have a great day,

Adventurer
12-16-2010, 05:56 PM,
RE: Newbie in Orlando
Hey Adventurer,

I live in downtown Orlando. What part of town are you from?

Glad to see that you have found a good resource to help you transition out of the hassle of using concealers. I know from firsthand experience how good of an illusion they can provide, but also how much of a mess and hassle they can be to work with. I am currently working with another Toplace client who is transitioning out of concealers and despite the fact that he was doing an excellent job of covering his baldness, his new hairpiece is a night and day improvement.

I am in the final stages of production on my full cap instructional DVD. I currently wear full caps since my side and back hair are too thin for a partial, but I did wear a partial unit (with concealers!) when I first started in the hair game so I have experience with those as well. If you need some personalized instruction I do offer hair replacement consultations, as my schedule permits.

If you are interested in getting some one on one help let me know. In the meantime there is a ton of info on here and some pretty knowledgeable hair wearers that give some great advice, so if you have any questions ask away!
12-16-2010, 08:37 PM,
Hi Adventureseeker ---- welcome to the forum and your first post --very nice and informative-- your story is similar to most of us really...you try everything else in desperation, before running out of road and accepting the reality of becoming a wearer...it`s a kind of `natural`progression for people with thinning hair. You`re wise not to go for any of that `surgical`stuff... I`m sure I don`t have to outline the risks / chance you take with the end-result. You are really in a good spot there in Florida----hook up with JRob and you couldn`t be in more experienced hands. Looking forward to your pics and thanks for the nice comments about the forum......best wishes, Paul.
12-17-2010, 04:33 AM,
Hi Adventureseeker,
JRob is a great source for advice and information. He really knows his stuff and is very helpful. You're lucky to have him in Orlando. Here's a photo of JRob in his full cap;

Attached Files Image(s)

12-17-2010, 07:19 AM,
RE: Newbie in Orlando (photo)
One question.. would it be difficult to like... wear a (normal-high) density let's say all-lace full cap? what would be the problem (once I can manage good with partials)
12-17-2010, 08:53 AM,
Jrob in that picture that toplace posted may I ask if you are using any products in that hair and if so what are they specifically? Thank you.
12-17-2010, 09:35 AM,
Hey guys, thanks for all the responses... that photo looks great JRob and yes, I live only a few blocks from downtown so I would be interested to know if you would be able to meet and help me get me started. You guys are right, this forum is FULL of information, but it is just like anything else, at the end of the day, there is nothing like seeing the real thing, or talking directly one on one with somebody that has gone through this whole experience.
I called up one of these places sometimes mentioned on these forums (the youtube videos got me....lol) and setup a meeting about a month ago while they were in town. They were very, very nice ladies, but even though we didn't talk about price at the time because of course I didn't sign any papers; from what I've read in these forums, I was looking to spend a good $3,000. Not to mention, after having their systems in my hands, I have serious doubts that they would end up looking anything close to what the photo of JRob on here did. First of all, that is way too much money for me, and the second, even though they were extremely nice, it is just different to hear somebody talk about a product which they've never worn before. I mean, how can they REALLY know what's it is like, or what the little intricacies of wearing a system involve. Anyways, JRob, let me know how I can get a hold of you or vice versa, I think talking directly with somebody as experienced as you might help my initial steps into this....

Thanks guys, and once again, I will post my photos over the weekend...

Adventurer
12-17-2010, 08:57 PM,
Adventurer.... I have JRob`s e mail ..if you want it just send me a mail to [email protected] and I`ll send it back...... I can receive mail at that address but cannot send from it, so will reply from my ``Yahoo`` account. I don`t want to put his address up publicly without his permission.
Younggun...the picture is JRob wearing his full cap .... he uses all -lace bases.The density of it shouldn`t present any particular issues apart from maybe having more knots, which some people say they can feel..... I don`t think you have to consider wearing full-caps for a long time yet anyway, judging by the pic you posted lately. Paul.
12-18-2010, 07:37 AM,
Hey guys,

I shy away from posting my email on the forums simply out of respect for the forum owners. I'm pretty easy to find with a couple of key words in google though....

Anyway, thanks for the kind words Paul.

younggun- the only real problem with higher densities on full caps is that they can accentuate ventilation flaws. For example, lets say that the side hair comes in with a bit too much "loft" on the sides and doesn't want to lay flat. A lower density will overcome this to an extent.

I have seen some guys pull off a higher density though. The full cap pic that John posted was pretty much spot on for the density that I ordered (65% top, 68% sides, 70% back). I think you should be able to overcome a lot of issues as long as you keep the density overall in the 70% range. Higher than that and it might be iffy. Remember, styling product is your best friend especially with higher densities!

person- I believe I used Waxworks to style that unit.

adventurer- that's pretty crazy that we only live a few blocks from each other! I have had quite a few people from Orlando and FL in general find me through the forums. Quite a small world!

Shoot me an email and we can go over some options.
12-18-2010, 09:42 AM,
i can relate totally to being overly consumed with the weather.
even to the point of checking the weather forcast for a bar crawl,hoping it woudnt be wet,
or that if it got a tadd wet someone woudnt come up to me in a bar and stick a stupid hat on my head.
yeah ! been there tried to hide that, concealed that.
seeing a good hair system in reality you'll be gobsmacked.you'll not beleive it, you'll say take it off i dont beleive you, "thats how good they are"
do it i did,and short of a hair transplant its the next best viable option.
"does what it says on the tin" it works. and bloody fantastic it is