Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hey guys... just one quick question
12-08-2010, 12:48 PM,
hey guys... just one quick question
I've been thinkin it pretty much lately... and have figured out finally, that the thing that I really need is...

Something that goes along with my style of life (living fast, doing a lot of sports... surfing etc) and not too much hassle (for a beginner.. when I get to it it will be easier).. I so, I have still hair in the crow.. not too much but it still covers wet..., and sincerty. if I have my head shaped by hair... having a little bit of crown does not bother me.. (not too much tho).

I've think of getting a partial (from the middle of the head to the front), skin base, and since is just half the face it will be less hassle to take it off (i plan to take it off every shower (daily) and use tape)... also I dont wanna show the hairline so indetectability in the front is not my big issue...

What do you guys think of it? Could it work for me???
thanks and I REALLY appreciate your help, if you ever come to spain, beers are on me.

Thanks!
12-08-2010, 03:32 PM,
RE: hey guys... just one quick question
Yes Younggun, that will work. I started off with a piece like that, which only covered the front half.

If your hair at the crown is thinning, you will need to go for a fairly low density for your piece, so that the two match.

Skin bases are very convenient and give a strong hold, but in my experience they arent quite undetectable enough to allow you to expose your hairline. I would suggest you order the piece with downward scalp-hugging ventilation, and then crop it fairly short into a slight fringe (a la Kevin Costner In The Bodyguard or Steve McQueen). That would work really well, and be very low maintenance.
12-08-2010, 03:46 PM,
baldrich..
IVE NEVER EVER EVER EVER SHOW my hairline.. (I've got too much front and my hair was always covering it... not too much tho, just a little bit.. but as I remember i've never had hairstyle showing the hairline.. in fact, I've never had a hairstyle hehe)

Also, I'm sick of worrying about my hair.. I've got a lot of things MORE important to worry about.. my career.. my friends, girls, my SURF (it's my passion in this life).. and to be honest... I wont mind If I get busted, which I guess I will sometimes... so what tho? You can laugh at me, but wake up dead next morning... live passes by really fast and hair should not be something to be worried of... that's why I like to hang with you guys... you want hair, so you put hair on, don't matter who's, and stop worrying about it and start taking care about the important things in this life.. family, work, hobbies, and the most important thing.. BE HAPPY. screw the society it's all a JOKE, our life is a god damn joke.

Well the point of all that stuff I typed was that I want something useful, easy to maintain, and if I have to get some detectability instead I will... (obviously I don't wanna put a typical WIG on, that would be comical) These are my two cents.

Thanks baldrich!

60-65% do you think is too much? I still have hair in the crown tho... the most important thing I want is... to have a hair that doesn't move too much with the wind, having it shorthish will be easier,.. I mean a hair that let me just forget about it but obviously without having too much.. and obviously keeping the hairline I have right now
One other question guys.. is the skin base really really heaty and makes you sweat a lot like if you had a cap or something?? or not as much?? because I am gonna have to put some deodorante undernith or something.. because if I get to sweat I tend to get a little itchy.
Some advises in this? Thanks guys you are so awsome
12-08-2010, 04:32 PM,
Totally hear you man. That's a great attitude for wearing hair.

Actually a style like this makes the best use of the modern hairpiece technology. You've just got a little scrap of fine netting or fine plastic with light density hairs on it, which you glue flat to your bare scalp. It looks 100 % like the hair you lost. No fuss, get out and enjoy the surf. When it starts to look ratty, chuck it and get another one. Nothing could be further from the traditional idea of a wig.

I wouldn't want to guess at density without seeing you. Stick a photo up here, or if you prefer flick it to me privately and I will give you my view. Keltinthedelta at yahoo.com

Yes, skin is significantly hotter and sweatier than lace. Not as hot as a cap, but sweatier. I live in a hot sticky country and I can't wear skin. For a small partial piece that might not be so significant. You could compromise and have lace with a skin tape patch just behind the hairline.
Totally hear you man. That's a great attitude for wearing hair.

Actually a style like this makes the best use of the modern hairpiece technology. You've just got a little scrap of fine netting or fine plastic with light density hairs on it, which you glue flat to your bare scalp. It looks 100 % like the hair you lost. No fuss, get out and enjoy the surf. When it starts to look ratty, chuck it and get another one. Nothing could be further from the traditional idea of a wig.

I wouldn't want to guess at density without seeing you. Stick a photo up here, or if you prefer flick it to me privately and I will give you my view.

Yes, skin is significantly hotter and sweatier than lace. Not as hot as a cap, but sweatier. I live in a hot sticky country and I can't wear skin. For a small partial piece that might not be so significant. You could compromise and have lace with a skin tape patch just behind the hairline.
12-09-2010, 01:19 AM,
good attitude younggun.

i've started with a skin base myself, and when i discovered about lace bases, and read this forum, i thought damn it seems like hard work. but i gave it a shot and I would never go back to skin systems any more.

thing is, yes, you might get the influence from the forum that there is a whole lot of thing to it (for maintenance etc) but in reality, all this detail and information provided on this forum is here for 'perfectionism'. you will see that with lace bases, there are a little bit of tweaks that you can do to make it look even better (for example, smudging the glue for less shine, etc. etc.). With skin systems, you put it on and end of story. Skin systems allow you to have a 'perfect' attachment if you wish, with more dedication and caution. but it's totally up to you really.

i'll be honest, i don't like skin systems. i live in a very hot country, and skin systems make you sweat. sometimes, after a football match, i used to get it off just to massage my scalp and feel sooo relieved in doing so. i don't think that's too healthy, and considering that i only kept the system on for 4 days at a time and applied deodorant before attachments.

lace systems are definitely not as hard as you might think they are, plus they offer much more. what you will notice right after trying one on is:

1. even in your hands, it does not look like a wig
2. on your head, so light you will occassionally touch your hair just to make sure it's still on. when you put your head on the pillow each night, you will not feel it, lace being more flexible.
3. you will take a shower, or go in the sea, and you will feel the water on your scalp. with skin systems, i felt that when water got in my hair, it made my head feel very heavy lol.

I too, like you, want to put it on and forget about it because i have a busy lifestyle.

but think about it, these are my maths:

Case scenario for 1 month:
---------------------------
Skin system
Daily attachments, 10 minutes.
In one month, 10 x 30 days = 300 minutes or 5 hours.
Maintenance 365 times a year (daily)
= more product use, more spending.

Lace system
1 month attachment, 2 hours
Maintenance 12 times a year (1 per month).
= less product use, less spending.

--

Now, don't get me wrong, you can get extended attachment with a skin system, but I would highly discourage it for health and hygiene reasons. And with Lace system, even if I say 2 hours a month, you will probably need to touch up every few days... but it only takes 5 minutes max. and only to make it look PERFECT; you can go without touching up if your hair will not be exposing the hairline.

Each to their own, everyone will find what works best for them. Having tried them both, I know what I won't go back to skin. I had written my first post (very very very detailed) about the pros and cons of Lace vs Skin systems so you might want to read that.

As for density, my current density is 65%. It's quite high if you ask me. If you are starting out, and have visible thinning hair, I would be more inclined to go for 40% density. My mistake was to go for a 70% and I left people wondering how on earth did I get so much volume. And I wasn't badly thinning before I started wearing.

Good luck younggun, you have the right attitude, you just need to figure out what's gonna work best for you now. Big Grin
12-09-2010, 02:06 AM,
mrjoejohn.. look. I'm wearing a cap almost everyday that's windy, A cap, A hat, Headphones, glasses.. anything that holds my crappy hair hheheh, I really don't mind doing like 1 hour per day of maintanance even If I know that's even too much... The ONLY thing that kept me away from laces... was that I thought It was easier to take it off so I was like...
Imagine I am surfing in a lineup with 20 friends, plus 50 ppl... I'm going for a wave, I get barreled in... and.. everyone's lookin... is he coming out the barrel or not?? is he?? he did!! wait!! omg who's that bald dude??? hahahahaha. I dont want my hair to come off when I'm in the water... so if I have a right attach like with tape and so... you think I won't have problems?

That's cool!! I'm def goin for a lace then! thanks dude!

And also.. I was thinkin the other day, that I really don't understand (or understand in a way but ... you know) the people who mess with their organs (by not taking just propecia, but loniten, androcur, ru9191249 or whatever... blablabla) and ending up with the same hair at the best cases.. and not just going into this.. that's why I think you guys are the smartest guys in the bald comm Big Grin, cosmetic problem.. cosmetic solution! not medicin for god's sake.. save the medecins for when we have a health problem!. I have taken propecia by the way, but I stopped when I took a sit and told to my self.. wtf am I doing?

And by the way, excuse my bad english, I've got to improve it Sad
MrjoeJohn.. I'm thinning thats true... but it's also true.. that 1 year ago I was one of the guys that you could see in the street and say.. omg that guys has shitloads of hair.. because I have it like curlish and when I have it long my hair go afro-style hehehe, so I wanna keep it like that... I surf and everything and anyone has noticed I am this bald.. (I have got a comb down right now...)... So with a dry hair I don't have holes yet... but when the wind blows or the rain hits me I'm screwed up..... and also my entries are going SO big that I dont like my face without the comb right now.. and I wanna change that... 60% it's ok for me I think, it can give the same impression that my hair with the comb down right now but I can afford having the hair a lil bit shorter without showing my bald front hehehehe.

Regards
12-09-2010, 05:00 AM,
(12-09-2010, 02:06 AM)younggun Wrote: mrjoejohn.. look. I'm wearing a cap almost everyday that's windy, A cap, A hat, Headphones, glasses.. anything that holds my crappy hair hheheh, I really don't mind doing like 1 hour per day of maintanance even If I know that's even too much... The ONLY thing that kept me away from laces... was that I thought It was easier to take it off so I was like...
Imagine I am surfing in a lineup with 20 friends, plus 50 ppl... I'm going for a wave, I get barreled in... and.. everyone's lookin... is he coming out the barrel or not?? is he?? he did!! wait!! omg who's that bald dude??? hahahahaha. I dont want my hair to come off when I'm in the water... so if I have a right attach like with tape and so... you think I won't have problems?

That's cool!! I'm def goin for a lace then! thanks dude!

And also.. I was thinkin the other day, that I really don't understand (or understand in a way but ... you know) the people who mess with their organs (by not taking just propecia, but loniten, androcur, ru9191249 or whatever... blablabla) and ending up with the same hair at the best cases.. and not just going into this.. that's why I think you guys are the smartest guys in the bald comm Big Grin, cosmetic problem.. cosmetic solution! not medicin for god's sake.. save the medecins for when we have a health problem!. I have taken propecia by the way, but I stopped when I took a sit and told to my self.. wtf am I doing?

And by the way, excuse my bad english, I've got to improve it Sad
MrjoeJohn.. I'm thinning thats true... but it's also true.. that 1 year ago I was one of the guys that you could see in the street and say.. omg that guys has shitloads of hair.. because I have it like curlish and when I have it long my hair go afro-style hehehe, so I wanna keep it like that... I surf and everything and anyone has noticed I am this bald.. (I have got a comb down right now...)... So with a dry hair I don't have holes yet... but when the wind blows or the rain hits me I'm screwed up..... and also my entries are going SO big that I dont like my face without the comb right now.. and I wanna change that... 60% it's ok for me I think, it can give the same impression that my hair with the comb down right now but I can afford having the hair a lil bit shorter without showing my bald front hehehehe.

Regards

aa okay then, seems like you can pull the 60% then. if you're in doubt, just put up a pic and we'll all help you with the density advice.

As with regards to the hair flying off your head concern, no mate, with proper products you won't have it flying. I may be tempted to say that lace will bond better, because you will not want to have UltraHold glue on the Skin systems, it will be super tight and very unhealthy, being that skin is unbreathable and all.

Me, personally, when I was using skin systems, I used 1 week bonds (tapes). When I used WAlker No shine tape (stronger bond) it was a pain in the ass to clean, and I still ended up debonding after 1 week due to itchiness and hygniene purposes.

Listen mate, I am not a good promoter of skin systems lol. I suppose not everyone can share my experience because they are still used by a lot of people, but there you go, my 2 cents.

Also, 1 thing you might want to consider is that since skin system is not breathable, if you let in a little air in between the base and your scalp, and some water or sweat gets in the middle, it will be pushing your system away from the scalp. Unlike lace, where the water/ sweat will (most of it) seap through the lace and in your hair (just like normal hair).
12-09-2010, 05:22 AM,
younggun.. you will have no issues with your system de-bonding during activities such as surfing/exposure to water....provided you use a strong tape and /or strong glue......you can also apply a line of glue along the centre of your scalp just to provide a bit of extra hold.... your system hair will suffer though, from exposure to salt water etc. as you would expect..... I can assure you, I can totally understand how a person might imagine the `picture`you have painted of you going under a wave with a full head of hair and emerging from it half-bald.......that will NOT happen with the correct glues... the strongest glues are EXTREMELY strong...almost like super-glue.... obviously prolonged exposure to moisture will shorten the `life` of a particular bond..you`ll get very very relaxed with it quickly ..you`ll know when an attachment needs to be re -done, but you will not suffer a sudden de-bond when surfing etc. Paul.
12-09-2010, 08:44 AM,
mates, I had my doubts before.. now I am very happy.. seriously.. and thinking of my skin condition (gets itchy sometimes).. lace is MY option HANDS DOWN.

Well. I've always had a bad hair (I mean really thick and strong, but not beautiful), for exposing it too much to the sun and salt water, but as I said before, I don't mind, I don't really want a "nice" and "soft" hair... that's NOT my goal... I just want my head covered with hair so I can focus on other things in life, Of course I'm buying back2natural and I always take a shower straight after surfing (for my skin condition, because salt dries the skin and if you spend 2 or 3 days with salt in your hair (I've done worst things than that), It creates the opposite effect, your skin start to get really oily, like a defense mechanism or something, so I learnt to take a shower with douce water straight after my sesh hehe, my yeah, as I stated before, I've never had a niche and soft hair so I think that helps me out.

Btw, I'm gonna go to my usual dermatologist to talk about quitting propecia (now he's almost a friend, he's bald and the most sincere guy I've met) and mess around a little bit with him like.. OMG propecia did help me, let's see how much time does it take to him to notice the hairpiece hehe.

Have a great day guys