Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PH Levels
09-20-2009, 12:11 PM,
PH Levels
I read that to keep your hair color longer that you should buy shampoos the have a low PH level number like 4-5 but i cannot seem to locate the PH level info on any shampoo bottles, even the pureology bottle do not list it. it is hidden in the ingrediants?
09-21-2009, 06:29 AM,
Re: PH Levels
BUmp
09-21-2009, 07:20 AM,
It is not an "ingredient", so it would never be listed there. The pH level changes slightly from batch to batch (and most people don't know or care much about the pH that it is used very often as a marketing tool) so you generally won't find it on the bottle.

I would worry less about the exact pH and more about whether the product is formulated specifically for processed hair. Shampoos for color treated hair would be a viable substitute in a pinch.

So don't worry too much about specifics. Concentrate on overall results. Even the fact that a shampoo is "sulfate free" doesn't guarantee that it will work well for processed hair. I've had some that absolutely tore the hair up. The specific ingredients or the pH is less important than the sum of its parts.

In other words, you can't judge a shampoo based upon it's specific ingredients (or lack thereof) or the pH level, or how sudsy it is, or how it smells, etc. The really important thing is how it maintains the condition of the hair after 6-8 weeks and beyond.
09-21-2009, 03:10 PM,
To add to that.
Shampooing (with any shampoo) will tend to fad the unit, IMO even faster than sunlight.
I rarely shampoo mine (initially yes, of course the first time before you wear a new unit) and
I normally get 9 ~ 10 months and more out of them with very, very little fading and virtually no
shedding.
I really can't understand what people here do to cause their units to shed a lot as many seem to complain about.
I've had stock units and custom units in both french and SFS and they simply don't shed.

Smile
Fred