Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another hairstyle thread from a newbie
10-22-2010, 03:47 AM,
RE: Another hairstyle thread from a newbie
I think we may know each other from the "other forum" ... but thought I'd throw in my two cents here, cuz I'd like to hear from others about my impressions.

"Can lace bases support higher density pieces like this?"

Pushing it, IMHO ... and the question becomes more about why bother trying to, since the density is so thick that you wouldn't see much, if any, scalp through this kind of density anyway. You could use a sturdier base, which would support higher density, and get the added benefit of easier detachment/reattachment, as well as more longevity and durability.

I feel you on the front hairline thing ... personally, I've never worn exposed hairline, so I don't try to w/ a piece. But I do pay attention to density, so that scalp can be seen through parts and breaks in the hair ... that adds to the realism, and any decent lace or skin base can achieve that scalp look.

Realism ... that's what it's about, yes? Again, IMHO, the historical give-away on toupees has been 2 things; "wall of hair" at the front hairline and TOO much hair in the piece. With the advent of lace fronts, issue #1 above has been largely solved ... and now that custom densities (hairs/sq. inch) are available, the "new frontier" of detectability has become the blending of back and side hair with the piece ... hairlines can be hidden, back and side blending cannot ... UNLESS, one goes with full-cap, which his why many are doing so these days.

I often think that the reason for the popularity of brush back, flat back styles in pieces is to say, "see, this can't possibly be a hair piece." The general public is not aware of what can be done on lace fronts these days. So the natural front hairline is a means to offset any lack of realism elsewhere ... improper blending at back and sides.

So, with a "topper," we must strive for a match in color, density and texture (thinness and curl) of the hair strand. In the picture you posted, my belief is that it is not a topper, because of the seamlessness at back and sides ... it's ether real, or a full-cap.

If I may be so bold, I will say that another poster above (Paul) will tell you that the best route is to go with a style that most closely matches what your hair has always done ... haircut, density, color, curl, etc... this will make you most comfortable, and that is the best method to have others comfortable. If your not comfortable, others will "feel" that ... a bit esoteric, but hope it makes sense.

So my thinking is to pick density, color and texture based on your own back and side hair first ... that will ensure blend with the piece. Then try to get as much leeway on what you can do with the front, maybe freestyle or comb back ventilation at the front so you can wear it back when you're feeling bold about nailing the hairline attachment, or down over the forehead on days when you're working out and don't want to worry about it.

That's kind of what I'm going for in wearing ... I'd love more feedback from others on my thinking here, and I've learned a lot from reading all of your posts ... thanks.

Thoughts ... ?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another hairstyle thread from a newbie - furball - 10-22-2010, 03:47 AM