Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another hairstyle thread from a newbie
10-21-2010, 04:34 PM,
Another hairstyle thread from a newbie
I am not sure that I attached this picture correctly. We'll see I guess. I am in the process of making my first template. I came across this picture on another forum where people were debating whether or not it was a wig. If it is it's a good one. I was just wondering if this hairstyle is possible. I have always worn a shorter, spiked up look but I have kind of decided that I don't want to spend the rest of my life trying to maintain a perfect hairline. This hairstyle seems like it could help in that regard. If it is possible, what would the possible drawbacks be? I can imagine there are more issues that go along with longer hair. Any advice would be great.

Attached Files Image(s)

10-21-2010, 08:55 PM,
RE: Another hairstyle thread from a newbie
cant see why not. prob one of the easier stlyes to pull off, no frontal hairline?
really depends on what you look like now and where youre heading.
what about uploading a pic of yourself, and youre current style.
10-21-2010, 09:56 PM,
I reckon the density is way too much if it`s a system, which is probably why people are asking if it actually IS a system -- the density is drawing attention. There would be no reason to wear the hair that length really -- to me it just looks like he needs a hair cut. I wouldn`t like all that hair down almost into my eyes --it would be annoying when the wind gets at it while walking around outdoors. That style is easily achieved with a free -style system...... if you really want to wear that length at the back, you might need to order longer than the standard length --6 inch -- depends on how far up on the head your back perimeter is in relation to the nape... I really don`t thing you need to wear hair that long --to me it just looks untidy --just my 2 -cents worth. Paul.
10-22-2010, 01:58 AM,
If my hair loss follows my family pattern, I will only need the piece to cover the front and the top of the crown until I am atleast into my 50s so that is a ways away. I don't think it would have to go very far down on the back of my head. Can lace bases support higher density pieces like this?
10-22-2010, 03:47 AM,
I think we may know each other from the "other forum" ... but thought I'd throw in my two cents here, cuz I'd like to hear from others about my impressions.

"Can lace bases support higher density pieces like this?"

Pushing it, IMHO ... and the question becomes more about why bother trying to, since the density is so thick that you wouldn't see much, if any, scalp through this kind of density anyway. You could use a sturdier base, which would support higher density, and get the added benefit of easier detachment/reattachment, as well as more longevity and durability.

I feel you on the front hairline thing ... personally, I've never worn exposed hairline, so I don't try to w/ a piece. But I do pay attention to density, so that scalp can be seen through parts and breaks in the hair ... that adds to the realism, and any decent lace or skin base can achieve that scalp look.

Realism ... that's what it's about, yes? Again, IMHO, the historical give-away on toupees has been 2 things; "wall of hair" at the front hairline and TOO much hair in the piece. With the advent of lace fronts, issue #1 above has been largely solved ... and now that custom densities (hairs/sq. inch) are available, the "new frontier" of detectability has become the blending of back and side hair with the piece ... hairlines can be hidden, back and side blending cannot ... UNLESS, one goes with full-cap, which his why many are doing so these days.

I often think that the reason for the popularity of brush back, flat back styles in pieces is to say, "see, this can't possibly be a hair piece." The general public is not aware of what can be done on lace fronts these days. So the natural front hairline is a means to offset any lack of realism elsewhere ... improper blending at back and sides.

So, with a "topper," we must strive for a match in color, density and texture (thinness and curl) of the hair strand. In the picture you posted, my belief is that it is not a topper, because of the seamlessness at back and sides ... it's ether real, or a full-cap.

If I may be so bold, I will say that another poster above (Paul) will tell you that the best route is to go with a style that most closely matches what your hair has always done ... haircut, density, color, curl, etc... this will make you most comfortable, and that is the best method to have others comfortable. If your not comfortable, others will "feel" that ... a bit esoteric, but hope it makes sense.

So my thinking is to pick density, color and texture based on your own back and side hair first ... that will ensure blend with the piece. Then try to get as much leeway on what you can do with the front, maybe freestyle or comb back ventilation at the front so you can wear it back when you're feeling bold about nailing the hairline attachment, or down over the forehead on days when you're working out and don't want to worry about it.

That's kind of what I'm going for in wearing ... I'd love more feedback from others on my thinking here, and I've learned a lot from reading all of your posts ... thanks.

Thoughts ... ?
10-22-2010, 04:09 AM,
(10-22-2010, 03:47 AM)furball Wrote: I think we may know each other from the "other forum" ... but thought I'd throw in my two cents here, cuz I'd like to hear from others about my impressions.

"Can lace bases support higher density pieces like this?"

Pushing it, IMHO ... and the question becomes more about why bother trying to, since the density is so thick that you wouldn't see much, if any, scalp through this kind of density anyway. You could use a sturdier base, which would support higher density, and get the added benefit of easier detachment/reattachment, as well as more longevity and durability.

I feel you on the front hairline thing ... personally, I've never worn exposed hairline, so I don't try to w/ a piece. But I do pay attention to density, so that scalp can be seen through parts and breaks in the hair ... that adds to the realism, and any decent lace or skin base can achieve that scalp look.

Realism ... that's what it's about, yes? Again, IMHO, the historical give-away on toupees has been 2 things; "wall of hair" at the front hairline and TOO much hair in the piece. With the advent of lace fronts, issue #1 above has been largely solved ... and now that custom densities (hairs/sq. inch) are available, the "new frontier" of detectability has become the blending of back and side hair with the piece ... hairlines can be hidden, back and side blending cannot ... UNLESS, one goes with full-cap, which his why many are doing so these days.

I often think that the reason for the popularity of brush back, flat back styles in pieces is to say, "see, this can't possibly be a hair piece." The general public is not aware of what can be done on lace fronts these days. So the natural front hairline is a means to offset any lack of realism elsewhere ... improper blending at back and sides.

So, with a "topper," we must strive for a match in color, density and texture (thinness and curl) of the hair strand. In the picture you posted, my belief is that it is not a topper, because of the seamlessness at back and sides ... it's ether real, or a full-cap.

If I may be so bold, I will say that another poster above (Paul) will tell you that the best route is to go with a style that most closely matches what your hair has always done ... haircut, density, color, curl, etc... this will make you most comfortable, and that is the best method to have others comfortable. If your not comfortable, others will "feel" that ... a bit esoteric, but hope it makes sense.

So my thinking is to pick density, color and texture based on your own back and side hair first ... that will ensure blend with the piece. Then try to get as much leeway on what you can do with the front, maybe freestyle or comb back ventilation at the front so you can wear it back when you're feeling bold about nailing the hairline attachment, or down over the forehead on days when you're working out and don't want to worry about it.

That's kind of what I'm going for in wearing ... I'd love more feedback from others on my thinking here, and I've learned a lot from reading all of your posts ... thanks.

Thoughts ... ?

I agree with you on the density problem. It is a complete giveaway. I am 23, however, and I think I could get away with something a little more dense. Not necesarrily this dense or any more dense than my natural hair on the sides is. I am pretty sure my side and back hair will stay pretty thick for the next 20-30 years if it follows my typical family pattern. The main reason I am thinking about this hairstyle is I have worn something similar in the past (not in a while) and I think it looks like a little less stress since I won't have to be worrying about the hairline all the time. Maybe down the road when I am more confident I can try something a little more daring. Am I headed in the wrong direction? Let me know if I am.
And I also really don't want to use anyting but lace and maybe a poly perimeter since I work in a gym. Is it possible to get higher density (again, not necessarily this dense) on lace systems?
10-22-2010, 05:39 AM,
I think your heading in the right direction ... I agree on lace vs. skin since you are a gym professional ... I'm thinking you won't like skin as much because of sweat, hygiene, discomfort, etc.

Have you looked into iLace at all? My understanding is that it's 2 layers of Lace, w/ hair knotted to the bottom layer and pulled through the top layer ... so you can't see knots, looks more like injected skin w/ hair "coming right out of the scalp," and it would be more durable and should be able to easily support 70% + densities (although regular lace "should" be doable at this density too ...)

I should add that I'm currently with one of the big chain "clubs" and in the process of switching over to DIY with online/mail order purveyors. On my head right now is an all lace piece (probably more like the more durable French style, but I'm not sure) and it is still TOO dense for me ... in my forties with kind of thin texture and density ... so I KNOW from experience that you can have lace w/ pretty thick density.
10-22-2010, 05:46 AM,
Excellent post there furball.
Utah .... as you are in the gym and very active, I`d advise lace for breathe-ability and I note you are thinking of Poly partial perimeter-- like any materials there are some pros and cons [they are covered briefly in the ``Style options`` page as you will, no doubt, have seen.] You can have a relatively heavy density, but don`t over-do it. As furball say`s --- other materials can support high densities better than lace, but in your position i.e. your likelihood to be sweating a lot would more or less dictate that you wear lace for health/hygiene reasons. The poly strip will help with `holding the shape` of the system....very handy when you are attaching at home. Maybe in time you will decide to wear all -lace ? I find poly very very amenable to various glues giving a really good grip/bond ......and easier for the clean-up. Poly is very durable in use, so, ideal for an active lifestyle. You will notice discolouration on it after a while ---that `s the acid in sweat --don`t worry unduly about it. I had poly perimeters on other systems before now, and after maybe 5 or 6 months of wear [gym etc ] I finally saw little holes appearing in it but hey, it`s not going to last forever.
You are on the right track with matching your system density to your side hair--- if you could post a pic of it we might be able to give more definitive advise. Younger guys can get away with higher densities..... I reckon a nice freestyle, with the correct density will serve you well... regards for now, Paul.
10-22-2010, 06:05 AM,
well hair wearing hAS thrown up a few suprises.
and its challenging my self image.
prior to wearing my hair system i used medium brown concealer,i knew i had grey sides but thought i had medium brown elswhere,i thought i totaly suited my old hair style.?
well well,woman are telling me i shouldnt shaved the sides so short,and i didnt suit the old hair style,one woman described it as the teddy boy look.(news to me)
but i'v had lots of compliments,
bloody thinhg is i liked my so called short back and sides.
so i'd made the mistake of having a medium brown top and grey sides, i musta looked a bitt of a state.
i rekon my salon has gone with to much density,i get away with it because i use wett look gell.
but when its dry you virtually cant do anything with it.and it looks nearly white in my eyes.
suposed to be med brown with 40% grey. and described as light density.
what im saying is, what you think you need and what you do need could be two diffrent things.
lots of folk think there hairs a particular colour and there way off.
so i rekon see a salon for advice, someone who specalises in hair systems.
im not saying tie yourself to a salon hell no!just get some proffesional advice prior to ordering.
as for wearing well im a week into it today, thursday 14-21st. and i can say its been fine.
i rekon folk looked at me more before as i did have a bitt of a weird hairstyle,shape, colour .imho
nobody batts an eye now, still get looks of the woman, thank god, and its modern gelled hair.
a female freind seid to me when i boarded the bus" liking the hair", i felt like saying i'll pass that on to the recipient, lol
its all good! having seid that my two sisters and brother aint seen it yet, once there over with i,ll be happy.
my neice has seen it, likes it,

its when you cant see that good looking guy looking back at you, youre wanting the old image,funny thing to say wanting the old that was worse than the new,
i'm still trying to get used to the new image in the mirror,
maybee that good looking guy will stare back in the mirror some time soon.
regards antySmile
10-22-2010, 06:21 AM,
I'll try and get some pictures up tonight when I get home. Antywanty, I am really interested in your whole experience since you are a newby. I go through moments where I think that this is really a great option, but then I go through moments where I feel like it is unrealistic and I am just getting my hopes up. How are things going for you? Is your unit sticking to your head? lol Are there a lot of struggles to keep it natural looking? Do you feel like you could do some more demanding physical activity and be confident that it looks good? I was speaking with a girl just a few minutes ago, and normally I am very confident when I do those kind of things. As we were talking I was wondering if I will have the same kind of confidence when I am wearing hair. The only way for me to know I guess is just to try it. I just hope that I don't have to spend hours everyday trying to make it look good. Thanks for the patience from all of you. I am sure this happens often and you guys are really nice to guide us newbies through the process.