Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question to experienced wearers (Paul dig in :D)
10-13-2010, 12:33 PM,
A question to experienced wearers (Paul dig in :D)
Haha...

When do you realise your unit is unwearable anymore?

I have just received my second order, and it looks really fresh compared to this one LOL, but, hadn't I received a new one, I think it still has some life in it.

In my hmm... 2/3 months of wearing the toplace unit, I do not have any damage to the lace (the only bit I have is totally my fault, recklessness on my behalf in tearing the toplace label with my teeth lol). Otherwise, the only things that have changed are:

- Color of the hair, maybe some discoloration, but even my own hair has changed color from all the sun and summer weather! A little coloring shampoo from that website John recommends (sorry forgot the name) does the trick.

- I noticed also that the hair has become slightly brittle/ dry. That's probably due to the bad water supply, swimming, and wrong shampoo lol. Still blends in perfectly well with my own hair though... when I put some leave in conditioner, it looks perfect.

- I also noticed (the only thing which I dont like), some wrinkles (?) mostly at the back. I thought it was me doing something wrong when attaching it. But, from my last 3 attempts, albeit being as careful as I can be... I had the same results. And you can feel the wrinkles even when it is not attached. But it's strange, its not really coming from the base... it seeeeeems like its coming from the vent. Dunno if I screwed it up when I tried to pull the label with my teeth, seems I have been having the 'wrinkle' problem since then.

- Also, the base is never as clean and fresh as the new one... but its okay.

Hadnt I received the new piece, I'd still think the current one looks brand new (lol), but seriously, no tears in the lace or anything major...

Back to the question... When do you guys throw your old one for a newer partner? Big Grin

P.s sorry for the long threads but I just dunno how to small talk haha.
10-13-2010, 12:54 PM,
RE: A question to experienced wearers (Paul dig in :D)
Hmm i change my after 4 month. I also orded my second piece yesterday. The old one is not realy in the best condition anymore. The density is alot lower compared with a new one and the hair quality is not the best anymore. It feels not fresh and nor more comfortable, so i buy a new one.
I still could wear it, but think this is a good example for a breakingpoint.

On the picture u can see in realy bright light that the density and hair quality has drasticaly declined. Ok i have to say i was realy brutal with that piece, because i wanted to test how fare i could go^^ So it was more like a creshdummy piece for me Big Grin
I think if you handle it carefully it could last 5 Month.

Crashdummy Picture: not styled, not combed and no styling Products in the hair.

Attached Files Image(s)

10-13-2010, 07:30 PM,
Hi guys..... 2 very interesting and informative posts. People considering wearing are always keen to read the `` nitty -gritty`` details of how a new wearer met and dealt with issues which arose during the first weeks of wearing. You both said you were hard on your system and I think it`s a testament to the quality of Toplace systems that you have got 4 months [ and could probably get another few weeks of wear if you `nurse`them along a bit now ] I think the issue you are getting at the back there mrjoejohn -this is a pure guess - is a combination of you trying to remove that name tag roughly, and also, the fact that your system was exposed to a lot of water [swimming] probably lead to the lace [which is a fabric] stretching a little, in much the same way as when you over- wash a woollen garment, it eventually stretches to bigger than it`s original size.... that`s just a guess on my part. What you are getting is a little of what you can get with a stock system [ well I experienced it ] which is not to the exact contour of your head --- a bit of pleating can occur on the perimeter in places. The brittleness will occur with time/washings etc. Hair, as you know is dead, and the reason you don`t get it with naturally -growing hair is that the scalp is producing lubricating oils, and the hairs naturally fall out daily and are [ well except in our cases !! LOL !! ] replaced with new growth, so it feels soft.System hair gets no oils etc. and exposure to sun, shampoos etc. take away what little there is. Have a look at this site: remysofthair.com -- I am going to order [ 60$ ] for their shampoo/conditioner products today as they were formulated by a hair-wearer [ I THINK it`s JRob but not 100% on that] and they also have a travel -pack size, very handy for Airport security restrictions saving you having to transfer product into separate little bottles when travelling.I haven`t used the product yet but I feel it would be good. The colour issue is normal with exposure to strong sun and the recommended colour restorers are at http://www.adfhair.com . Your base will appear discoloured alongside a new base --again that is normal and is the lace absorbing oils etc. My poly strip discolours in the same way --it`s also caused by the acid in sweat --is perfectly normal.
Ruulkasar --- did you apply knot -sealer to the knots before you began wearing? This is very very helpful in preventing shedding and will definitely prolong the life of your system..... apply VERY sparingly. Snipe has a great video tutorial in the ``info links for newbies`` at the top of the home page there, on how to apply it. I think you did a great job in styling that system when you got it and it`s really great now to get your feedback on how your first few months of wearing went for you --well done. It`s really a matter of your own choice on when to ditch your old units and wear new...... if it looks quite `tired`now, well go with the new one, but I think having been on the learning curve, both of you did really well -- took to it like ducks to water !! LOL!! Cheers for now -- Paul.
10-13-2010, 11:46 PM,
Update --- I just ordered the remysoft products -2 lots actually, as the international shipping charge is 39$ standard, so if I only ordered 1 `set`[shampoo , conditioner and sealer ] which is 3 bottles, shipping will cost the same as for 2 `sets`[ 6 bottles] Should last me well into next year I reckon. I`ve said this before, but am not a big fan of very frequent washings of my systems, -- prefer to use a little leave-in conditioner weekly, and mist with water nightly and then `shape`the hair, then sit it on a mannequin head and allow to dry naturally overnight, but will give these [new to me ]products a go and see if they improve the texture of the hair --obviously will be in a few weeks time, but will do a post on it.
I was reading through the `` Frequently asked questions`` section and yeah, JRob is accredited with developing the products, so my memory was OK [my Alzheimers must be in remission !! LOL !! ]
Paul.
10-14-2010, 12:10 AM,
(10-13-2010, 11:46 PM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: Update --- I just ordered the remysoft products -2 lots actually, as the international shipping charge is 39$ standard, so if I only ordered 1 `set`[shampoo , conditioner and sealer ] which is 3 bottles, shipping will cost the same as for 2 `sets`[ 6 bottles] Should last me well into next year I reckon. I`ve said this before, but am not a big fan of very frequent washings of my systems, -- prefer to use a little leave-in conditioner weekly, and mist with water nightly and then `shape`the hair, then sit it on a mannequin head and allow to dry naturally overnight, but will give these [new to me ]products a go and see if they improve the texture of the hair --obviously will be in a few weeks time, but will do a post on it.
I was reading through the `` Frequently asked questions`` section and yeah, JRob is accredited with developing the products, so my memory was OK [my Alzheimers must be in remission !! LOL !! ]
Paul.

Hey Paul,
So you de/re daily? It's definetely better for the hair.
I've been wearing for almost 2 weeks now. Total newb.
But I'm de/re weekly. I got a satin pillow case and sheets. They are very slippery and help with the issue of friction.
In the morning my hair is all over the place LOL
I just spray some water, style and go.
I noticed that too much "product" on the hair builds up over time and needs to be washed.
The hair gets that greasy/dirty look and stands out compared to my side/back hair.
The full head bond is still strong day 3. I have not worked out though yet so I haven't really tested it out in extreme sweat.
I'm tempted to hit the steam room at the gym for 15 mins just to stress test the bond and hair actually.
I have synthetic gray cuz I may need to recolour the piece at some point.
The synthetic does not absorb the color.

You've told us before, but what kind of bond do u use for your daily de/re?
10-14-2010, 12:58 AM,
Hi balamouti.... Oh I see now --very clever thinking on the grey hair bit --wouldn`t have thought of that, regarding if you want to re -colour the system later.
I`m glad you can bear `witness`to what I have said before --using a lot of products leads to build-up and frequent washings, with consequent `wear`on your system.... I just find that `` less is best`` --others may not have any issues with it though.
As you know, I have a poly -perimeter, so I just pop on a few short little strips of `sensi -tac` tape [the red one] as it`s designed for more frequent de/re, and I use a light layer of glue on the front lace area ---- I remove the system from the back first [just pop my small finger up under the poly] and then just peel the system forward -- I hold it up off the scalp and give a few sprays of lace release onto the scalp just behind the glued area --- I then gently work my small finger onto the glued area [wet with lace release] and the thing just pops off nice and easy. I reckon pulling at the lace from front to back, can `stress`` the lace and could lead to tearing it eventually, as opposed to going ``with`` the flow of the system by going back-to-front you know ? Also, by spraying release onto the scalp, you are avoiding spraying alcohol down into the hair --just something I prefer to avoid -- I just reckon the less chemicals the hair is exposed to, the better in the long run. Depending on what strength glue/tapes you are using, a steamroom shouldn`t have too much adverse effects with a `new`bond really. Let us know though ! Cheers mate --Paul.
10-14-2010, 01:34 AM,
There is no set time, i.e. 3 weeks or 3 months, when to replace a unit. Each individual is different. Through my years, I have found when the density becomes too thin, the color is too faded to blend in, or the base is too damaged to fit well, it's time to replace. I have usually found that a unit really blends well style wise only after it has been worn a while, and gradual wear and tear isn't noticable by you. That's why I set a time limit, usually 6 months, to replace regardless. The old unit becomes a usable spare if it still looks good. If not, I reorder another immediately, so I have a spare ready.
10-14-2010, 07:42 AM,
Oh my god, guys, its a breakthrough for me! I'm not gonna be too long but I have just found out what those wrinkles were!

As we speak, my girlfriend is combing my hair with lace release. she had a close look and she told my hair is all tangled up. She's been combing with lace release, for the last 30mins (she's being very careful), all the tangles have gone and I have no wrinkles anymore, the unit is once again, totally undetectable to the touch! even in the perimeter! looks brand new and the hair is longer now, again!!

Ok, the downside is, I've lost some hairs (over-combing) but it was probably lost hairs anyways, just tangled up there in glue. :O

Breakthrough for me guys, Im just enjoying the moment. Woot woot! haha.

Bloody hell, the tangles made it look like my base was all wrinkled!
(i'll post a reply to your replies later)
10-14-2010, 08:20 AM,
mmmmm..... all part of the learning - curve. You`ll have to be careful of that -- sounded to me like the lace had stretched a little, and was pleating when you were doing your attachment. I wouldn`t worry too much about losing some of the hair --that was bound to happen in the circumstances......... I wonder how it happened ? Are you putting on the glue a bit heavy and then pushing the lace down onto it too early [before it has `cured`/gone clear] and some of it is going through the lace onto the hair itself? It`s a simple error to make --it`s very important to allow the glue to go clear and `tacky`before pushing the lace onto it.
Glad you realised what was wrong..... look forward to your post later -- Paul.
10-15-2010, 04:19 AM,
(10-14-2010, 08:20 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: mmmmm..... all part of the learning - curve. You`ll have to be careful of that -- sounded to me like the lace had stretched a little, and was pleating when you were doing your attachment. I wouldn`t worry too much about losing some of the hair --that was bound to happen in the circumstances......... I wonder how it happened ? Are you putting on the glue a bit heavy and then pushing the lace down onto it too early [before it has `cured`/gone clear] and some of it is going through the lace onto the hair itself? It`s a simple error to make --it`s very important to allow the glue to go clear and `tacky`before pushing the lace onto it.
Glad you realised what was wrong..... look forward to your post later -- Paul.

again, a quick reply cause im running against time lately...
i dunno how it happened, I only use glue for the front bit (not the tangled area)... so I really dont know from where i got all the tangles. i think it may be cause I like to keep the hairpiece in a bowl with water when I remove it... to get it clean... maybe the water becomes a mixture of glue/ residue with water... and gets stuck to the hairs in the bowl... or maybe, i the tape, after 3 weeks of wearing, becoming gooey and all, seaps through the lace and in the hair. have no idea though. the hair is now untangled, but some of the lace release has seaped in and has loosened the bond somewhat in some areas... goddammit.