Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
poly skin vs lace?
09-16-2010, 07:37 AM,
poly skin vs lace?
i was just reading that poly skin can actually outlast lace and is easier to apply but lace is more undetectable, can anybody explain other differences to me? ive noticed almost everybody preffers lace and dislikes poly, but i thought it was because it was less durable, but thats not it, so whats the reason people preffer lace? i would of thought more people wanted durability and ease of wearing, is poly really that obvious if its called skin after all?
09-16-2010, 08:52 AM,
RE: poly skin vs lace?
Click on ``Style options `` at the top of this page, scroll down, to see the various materials available for bases. There are brief listings of the pros and cons, shown. It`s a matter of your own choice. You can also order a system using a combination of materials such as all -lace with part of the perimeter made of poly, and for coverage of temple area down onto sideburns french lace is recommended for durability at the sides. The advantage of lace is the detectability issue as it is the easiest on the eye and to the touch -it also allows for much better breathing of the skin beneath it, thus [ in my view ] healthier, for prolonged bonds. Paul.
09-16-2010, 09:39 AM,
When I was younger, poly perimeter worked best for me because bonding was easy and strong, and clean-up was easy, especially with tape. Being young, a heavier density and a longer hairstyle easily masked the poly. I was very active physically, and with a good tape attachment, I had no problems with lift, and swam, worked out, even martial arts. Being older now, lace works better due to lighter density of my own hair; lace lends itself to lighter densities at transition areas and hairline. Poly can last about a year, as can well cared for lace, but it's the hair itself that sheds, dries out, fades, etc., so it depends on those factors more rather than bases for longevity. Lace gives the best in undetectability, but a poly edge is better for attachment.
09-16-2010, 11:56 AM,
is a poly base hotter than the lace net? cuz i sweat alot i bike n work out daily and its southwest weather here so i tend to get to places still a bit sweaty, about what length of hair would be recommended for the poly base to not be obvious? can any1 post a pic of what poly looks like from the hairline & parting? ive seen alot of lace but almost anything for the poly other than the poly edges, btw i remember reading something once that sweat made the poly edge warp in a bad way, is that true? made sense before when i thought poly was more delicate but that seems weird now
09-16-2010, 07:08 PM,
I have worn all -poly in the past and the issue with sweat is that if not washed off the poly [or any material, for that matter] it will eventually weaken it and cause holes and tearing . Having said that, it is a robust material and can withstand quite a bit of such abuse before going downhill. Agree fully with what mcnash has just said there --the hair itself will normally `go`before the base does, depending on how you treat your system overall. Oxidation and exposure to the sun, washing etc will all take their toll but look, having found Toplace, you can stay looking good always due to the reasonable cost of the systems --- a major issue [especially in the tough economic times in which we are all living ] for people concerned about their hair loss, is the cost of systems and the high prices charged by Salons generally --with Toplace you can easily keep your appearance at a fraction of the cost, and all you have to do is get used to doing your own attachments etc. The forum is full of tips and people`s real experiences, good bad and indifferent --- well worth reading through and forming your own plan of action. Why don`t you consider slightly altering your routine a little so that your work-outs can be done at a time when you can then go home afterwards and remove your system for a good cleaning of the scalp --consider one of those systems designed for such activities [shown on the style options section ] and wear a more `normal`one for everyday wear [ work etc ] I know that may not be practical --but in the world of wearing, sometime slight changes in lifestyle are sometimes required -- wearing is the next best thing to having your own hair, but will never be 100% the same, so there has to be a little `give` on all our parts in order to wear with confidence. I`m considering going full -cap for a while now and I realise that it will be different to a topper --not a lot, but still , a new area for me which will require changes to my `routine` --- it`s just something you adapt to. Why not order 2 systems -- one all poly/thin skin and one lace with maybe part of the perimeter done in poly --as mcnash said, when you`re younger you can get away with higher densities so no worries about the poly being obvious [I wear a medium/low density now and I can`t see any appreciable show through of the poly strip ] You can decide then which is best for you for any subsequent orders. I reckon for warmer climates most people find the lace systems just much lighter on the head and if you are sweating, the scalp won`t itch as much as it tends to with all -poly systems. The pros and cons have been fairly well discussed in a few recent posts--just have a look through them and hopefully that will help you with your choice--Paul.
09-16-2010, 08:49 PM,
im still debating skin v lace.
im pondering what my salon wrote on a peice of paper , density light.
whats the uk percentege for light density?or toplaces figure.
the hairdresser prefers skin,and rekons lace is so yesterday, look she says to me holding a system you can see the mesh.of course you can its being held,and pointed out,totaly out of context for a wearer. would sfsl be more visible with light density compared to skin.
it like reading a movie critics review then watching a movie and saying thinking hey i loved it whats he talking about.(subjective)
the amount of postings on here singing the praises of sfsl for undetectability,i know there more difficult to clean.
i'd need my temple side hair to be slightly thicker to blend a lace system compared to skin according to the salon.
09-16-2010, 10:41 PM,
Well it`s your choice on what you decide. I`ve had my fill when it comes to Salons. They have their own agenda...... you have read the forum here for the last few weeks , so it`s your choice if you want to order off here,to your own specifications, or go along with the Salon and her opinion on what you should or shouldn`t wear ---ANY system base will be visible to the eye in places, through the hair -- if Lace was so detectable, no -one would be wearing it and as you know, it is highly popular with wearers ---that fact in itself should tell you something. I don`t know why this particular Salon is [or seems to be ] ``Pushing`` poly. At the end of the day, you are the customer/potential wearer and it`s purely YOUR choice on what you want to wear. Paul.
09-17-2010, 03:11 AM,
of course it is vissible if you hold it in your hand. But if the lace is glued to your sculp it becomes nearly unvissible, but therefor you have to glue it. I dont know why your saloon want to push the polly but like Paul said their must be a reason why so many wearers perfer sfs Smile

I think they want that you buy a poly from them, because of the money they would get from you and not because its the best method.

But to be shure buy one lace and one poly (all pieces are cheep her on toplace in comparison to other companies) and then compare both and make your own decision Smile
09-17-2010, 04:55 AM,
iv got ,£400 will buy me two systems ,and includes cutting in and bonding.
so you rekon one of each?
cheers anty Smile
09-17-2010, 06:12 AM,
Toplace systems cost just under 200 Dollars usually. If you convert the cost of 2 systems[ 400 Dollars ] to Sterling, it comes out at 258£ . Postage from USA is 45 Dollars or 28.76£ sterling. Leaves you plenty of change to pay for a cut -in and still have enough left over to go for some pints to celebrate your new hair ! Paul.