Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how long did it take u to get the hang of it?
09-16-2010, 01:21 AM,
how long did it take u to get the hang of it?
i havent ordered my first piece but just wanna know about how long did it take u to get the hang of it? mostly about learning how to put it on without it looking bad, was there anything else u think newbies should consider also?
09-16-2010, 02:22 AM,
RE: how long did it take u to get the hang of it?
hmm i needed a month, to find out the best workflow for me.

My workflow for the attaching:
In the first month i painted the glue at the whole area where i want to atach the hair. But i often had the Problem, that i did a mistake and than the whole piece was skew on my head. the glue holds intsandly and than there is no time to fix some failures. After some try and errors i find a better way: i paint only glue on my back head, than i roll the hair from the forehead to the back. Because there is only glue on the back i can atach everything slowly until everything fits perfect.

i dont know if there is another better way to attach but for me its a good method to prevent obliqueness
09-16-2010, 04:08 AM,
I think the main worry for a person considering wearing for the first time, is the very first attachment in order to have the system styled- in. I would suggest the use of the stronger - hold tapes and front contours [ separate strips of tape in the shape of a boomerang for the front part of the system] ---have a look at Debbies site where the different strengths of tape are clearly explained [the link is just underneath step 3 on Toplace homepage `` How to order`` ]
I would apply the tape directly to the lace and gently but firmly press the lace onto the tape -- use a few different strips leaving a bit of a gap between them. Partially peel just the corner of the backing `skin` off the tape just enough for you to get a ```start`` point for your fingernail when you want to peel it off fully for the actual bond to your scalp --this will enable you to position the system accurately or as near as accurate as you can be -- it can be a little tricky to see, as the hair is normally 6 -inches long [unless you have specified shorter] so you will most likely want to `tweak` the position of the system on your head before attaching it---- obviously it needs to be held properly in place for the stylist, who will of course, be combing the hair etc. during the cut -in. Once you are happy with the position, ask your stylist to just `steady`the system on your head with the palm of the hand --- then you can fold up the side of the system, peel off the backing paper/strip from the tape and bond it there, then do the same at the back and so on until you are just left with the front contour ---- just peel off the backing from that and allow it to bond onto the skin. That will do you fine for your cut -in. Once your system has been cut to the appropriate length, it`s much easier then to do your own bonding at home using either all tape, or all glue or a mixture of both ......I think the very first bonding is the most worrisome for most wearers, especially if you have never worn before [ I had some idea of what to do as I used to be in this hair `` club`` with a salon for a regular fee ] It`s not as tricky as you might think --personally I feel that for a person not used to it, it can be surprising at how quickly and strongly the glue and lace will bond so, as Ruulkasar said, it you misalign the system it can be `` messy`` to correct it --which is why I suggest the use of strong tapes and contours for the initial bond, and then work away at your own leisure at home if you want a really strong/long bond time by using strong glues ---- at least at home, you will not be under pressure for time, as you may be at a stylists premises. Just my 2 -cents worth. Paul.
09-16-2010, 04:30 AM,
great advice as usual.
as a wearer, new wearer,when youre out of the house , away from home , are you constantly going to toilets to mirror check youre system, i asked at the hair salon, how can you tell if theres lift at the hairline, if you cant see it,she seid well you can feel the lift.
but is it that noticibile to any onlooker hairline lift,front hairline.cheerrs anty
09-16-2010, 07:43 AM,
Thanks -- I can assure you, with the strong glues there really will be no danger of anything lifting --it`s surprisingly strong! As you will know from reading various posts, everyone`s body can react a bit differently to various glues -- it can take a little time to find one which suits your own needs [length of time you want your bond to last and whether you partake in activities such as gym etc ] You will easily be able to tell if your bond is weakening --- there is no need to panic as it`s a gradual process--------- it doesn`t suddenly fail. If by any chance you do feel part of the perimeter loosening, it won`t lift as such --after all, it`s custom - made, so it`s the shape of your skull and while the glue may weaken, that of itself will not make part of the perimeter lift clear of the skull -- you know what I mean I`m sure. It would not be obvious for that reason. Paul.
09-16-2010, 08:47 AM,
If you want to shorten the learning curve tremendously the best way is to learn it directly from someone who has experience. I struggled in the beginning because I was taking the advice people gave literally. My biggest problem was that people were telling me to use very little glue, and I wasn't getting enough on my head so the unit wouldn't stick! When I finally saw other people using a fairly decent amount of glue, just done in thin coats, I finally started getting the hang of it.
09-16-2010, 09:15 AM,
Yeah that`s true JRob ----- with the glues being of different strengths and a newbie who is experimenting to find which one will give them the best hold, there can be a tendency to either plaster on the glue too heavily and then push the lace straight down onto it [ before it has had a chance to `` go off` ] and causing it to go through the lace and onto the hair, thus leading to all kinds of problems with the glue solidifying the hair into hard clumps, or like you said, going too lightly altogether and not getting a proper bond. Usually, the best way to apply your glues [look on the bottle for individual instructions ] is to apply a thin, even layer with an artists brush.Allow it to go tacky, then apply another layer. Allow that to also `` go off`` [tacky] Generally that should be sufficient to allow a nice cosy bond between lace and glue and no seep -through and onto the actual hair. Some people may need a third layer, but I would think that is the exception rather than the rule. Again, depends on the particular glue you are using, your own body chemistry, temperature/humidity etc. For the purposes of the initial cut -in, a newbie might find using glues in the Salon setting to be tricky and not a little daunting, which is why I reckon my suggestion above re using strips of strong tape directly onto the system perimeter, leaving the backing paper/skin in place, will allow for ease of positioning first before you decide you have it `` right`` and OK to attach, and will give a good hold so the stylist can work his/her magic and drag the balding pupae from it`s chrysalis, into the wonderful world of the hairy !!! :-)
10-14-2010, 07:50 AM,
well got a date and time for my hair system to be cut in and bonded.
thurs 14. 13.00, bitt like going to the gallows!!! when its youre first time,
except its not off wiff yahh edd, its off with youre remaning hair and gulp!
i'v got no supplys in.umm prob order alchol, +remover from ebay and glue.
gotta get a brush or two with cushioned ends.
and alchol free styling aids like ,mudd ect, i rekon i'll wash a few times a month(as i read on a thread somewhere here dont want to destroy the system by washing to often.)(its a skin system btw)i remember saying to the stylist i'll use gell or mouse , and she laughs and says , youre a bitt behind the times it all mudd&puttyy,products ect thease days.i'll post some pics up thurs night(gulp)
anty
10-14-2010, 08:09 AM,
The count-down has commenced !! That should be some post tomorrow !!!
I`m sure it`ll be fine -- pay attention to everything they do -- ask any and all questions that occur to you. Good luck with it all --- your leap into this world of wearing is almost at hand !!!
Paul.
10-14-2010, 08:18 AM,
(10-14-2010, 08:09 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: The count-down has commenced !! That should be some post tomorrow !!!
I`m sure it`ll be fine -- pay attention to everything they do -- ask any and all questions that occur to you. Good luck with it all --- your leap into this world of wearing is almost at hand !!!
Paul.

cheers paul m8