Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie questions - side flaps/stylists etc.
08-31-2010, 03:13 AM,
Newbie questions - side flaps/stylists etc.
Hello all,

I've finally decided to wear a hair system, and I've been going through some threads. I have a few questions and if any of you could answer these I'd appreciate a lot.

I'm going for a piece with side flaps(since my sides are getting thinner too), and I think JRob posted something like "always use French lace for side flaps" so I'm thinking to do Swiss plus French lace for side flaps.

So here are the questions:
1. My first template is not a full cap but eventually I want to move onto a full cap - how detectable is it on the nape part? I noticed that a lot of girls that I date touch this area(maybe because I never let them touch my hair other than the nape part since it's covered with Topik).

2. I'm a bit worried about the first-time attaching the system to my head. I'm not quite skilled with arts and crafts, and I'm worried if I mess up...could I ask a stylist to do the first time attachment(such as shaving my head, attaching the piece, then hair cut)? I think I can handle it from the second time, but the first time I just cannot afford to make mistakes.

3. I live in NYC, do you know of any stylists who do hair systems(I'm not looking for a barber, looking for an actual "Stylist"). Also it would be great if the stylist could do the first time attachment.

Sorry I didn't have time to proofread the message so it might be a bit unorganized, but I'd really appreciate it if you could answer my questions.

Much thanks,
LPLG
08-31-2010, 04:11 AM,
RE: Newbie questions - side flaps/stylists etc.
Hello LPLG and welcome to the forum...... always nice to see new people who are about to take the plunge into the hair -wearing world.
I can fully appreciate how you would be mulling over the mechanics of your very first attachment and style -in. Your questions and concerns are very typical of what goes through a person`s mind.
Firstly, let me say I do not wear full -cap, so as to the nape `issue`I will wait for the king of the full -caps..JRob.. to leave a post on , when he`s next browsing. I think there are stylists available in New York and I seem to remember a post some time back with details.....can anyone help out here please? I don`t know how long your own hair is now, but the standard length [unless otherwise specified by yourself] of hair on a system is 6 inches. It can be difficult to position your system on your un -shaved head, due to the longer hair obscuring your vision -- the last thing you want is to shave off an area and then find that the system is `` lop -sided`` when you sit it on. You can check with the stylist ,when you get their contact details, if they will help with this. If not, just sit in front of a large mirror, sit the system onto your head as near as possible to where you reckon the mid -point of the front hairline perimeter is in line with your nose.Most people find that if you put palm of your hand against your forehead with your smallest [baby ]finger just onto the eyebrows, your index finger will / should be at the point where your front hairline will sit --- I hope you can follow that.Mark the point with an eyebrow pencil. Then make a few marks on the scalp along the edge of the system from temple to temple via the back. You will see these quite easily in among the thin(ing) hair on your head. This is the area to be shaved........once it is cleared of hair, it`s only a matter of applying a coat or two of adhesive or tape and adhering the system to your skin....... the main trick is to locate the front hairline start -point and you can then get the back point which needs to be shaved.I wouldn`t worry unduly about it --- there will be a few millimetres of a ``margin of error`` --- I can guarantee you that each time I do my attachment, it`s NEVER in exactly the same spot as previously --there is a `tolerance`which will not be noticed by anyone... there is a certain amount of stretch in the lace too, so you can compensate for a mild `bad`positioning until your next de-bond.I think most good stylists would be happy to help with that aspect of it though --even if it was just to hold the long hair up out of your way while you use glue or whatever. When your system arrives, have a look at it on your head and if you feel confident, well you can do your own shave --just use an electric trimmer thing first and then you can use a normal razor/shaving foam. The first time can be a big worry as it`s new territory to you, but after a while you`ll just be totally at ease with it.Don`t be fazed when you see the system on your head first ,at home, as it hangs down past your ears -- you`d think ``How will this ever look like my own growing hair`` ? Believe me -- your stylist will sort it out in no time and you`ll be delighted !!
I hope other readers here will chip in --sorry for being long -winded [ I DO tend to rabbit on! ]
We all had those pre -fit nerves etc. ---- relax, you`ll be fine.
Just wait a few days to see if you get details of a stylist --if not, just e mail John as I think he has some on the data base...... he is very busy with some other things just now so be patient if you don`t get an immediate reply -he will get back to you.
Best wishes.... Paul.
08-31-2010, 05:51 PM,
Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for the detailed response.

I have enough hair on my front/forehead, so I'm leaving about an inch or 1 1/2 inches of my own hair, yet I want side flaps, so that's making this a little bit tricky. I'm planning to wear hair-down style with shorter than 3 inches long.

I do hope too if somebody can answer the detestableness of the nape part when wearing a full cap, as well as any stylist information in NY area.

I will see if somebody replies back to my questions, I can wait because I'm busy myself too and will not be able to check back as often as I want to.

Thanks again Paul.
LPLG
08-31-2010, 07:59 PM,
Hi again LPLG -- did a search of the forum. John left a post in April about a stylist in New York. Have a look at her site: hairnaturallyperfect.com -- if you want to see comments on this site here, just scroll down to the bottom of the page, and type ``new york` in to search bar, and a few posts with comments /directions to her salon opens. Paul.
I should have said scroll to the bottom of the main / previous page [ the one with the list of all the threads ] and you will see the box with ``search the forum``. [ sorry for the confusion]
09-01-2010, 03:00 AM,
I think this is something what I'm looking for, thanks Paul!
09-01-2010, 03:23 AM,
You`re very welcome -- let us know how it all goes whenever you take the plunge. Paul.