Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My review, queries, tips and tricks from a newbie
08-13-2010, 10:26 AM,
My review, queries, tips and tricks from a newbie
Hey guys,

So I decided to share my story like I promised John!
I will split it in 2 parts cause its too long and Im tired lol.

PART 1

GENERAL BACKGROUND
- 27 Years Old
- Live in a VERY hot and humid country
- Exercise frequently, gym and football
- EXTREMELY conscious of my image! (Metrosexual or whatever you might wanna call me)

INTRO
I had been balding since 21 years. I am 27 now. I tried ANY remedy before going to the last resort of wearing a system, for obvious reasons.

SOLUTION 1: Propecia
As I noticed that I was thinning, I spent hundreds of euros on bloody propecia, which although I didnt report any side effects, I didnt report any positives either. I dont know my hair count so I cant really say I had grown 4 hairs, nonetheless, it wasnt enough to keep me happy.

SOLUTION 2: Hair Transplant
The situation with my hair was getting worse and I was feeling very low, so before it got TOO bad, I invested in a hair transplant. I spent about 5500Euros on a frontal transplant. I wasnt too pleased cause the surgeon still left me with a big forehead cause he said I would be jeopardising density. So yeah, anyway, it kinda gave me a little boost, I definitely saw more hairs than propecia ever produced... but I wasnt too happy either. It honestly felt like I wasted too much money on a few hairs. After some time, I started losing some of them again so I really got frustrated.

SOLUTION 3: CONCEALERS
So I discovered concealers. Toppik, DermaMatch... you name them. I tried them all. I was pretty satisfied at first although it made my hair looked very dry and matte. Of course, I was always kinda aware in pouring rain but to my advantage, it doesnt rain much in my country and I had found a couple of combos (DermMatch, Toppik Freeze Hair Spray, and a little glossywax combo lol) that helped with this. Unfortunately, the combo wasnt too healthy for my hair (I suppose) and I started shedding again until I thought sh*t, these concealers are becoming visible.

SOLUTION 4: HAIR SYSTEM NO.1
I arrived to the last resort... hair system. Went to a club locally and convinced me its the way to go. I thought Id give it a shot and bought 2 systems. Paid 2400Euros for them. When they arrived, the base was plastic-y (I think poly), and the hair looked pretty good. Shaved my existent hair and applied this one... and started with the cut in. I told them I want really short hair, cause I dont wanna go back to work making it too obvious I am wearing! But they were too careful I suppose, and when I looked at the mirror, I found out I had instantly turned into a Paul McCartney! My face got red I swear I could puke... I constantly told her to go shorter! She told me to sleep on it... but goddammit, the stress gave me a headache and I went back after 2 days telling her to take it off. She said no way, its gonna hurt (cause she used some extrastrong adhesive or whatever) so i put my palm in my face and told her affirmitevely to go short! Against her will she started cutting and... phew, at least I sighed. I was pretty ok. I still thought it was too dense! but anyway. Went home, found my scissors, said do-or-die, fuck it, it might mean money down the drain but I d rather TRY to make it make me happy or I might as well take it off and shave off my head. Started cutting it myself and I made it look slightly more decent.

PROBLEMS WITH SYSTEM No.1
Specs: Poly Base, 80% Density (Not Toplace)
---------------------------------------------
I found that Poly bases make me Toooooo sweaty, make me itch and are not comfortable at all! When I slept, I felt like I was wearing a cap all the time so I was really uncomfortable and conscious. I used Red-Tape based on her recommendation, very easy maintenance but the edges would bulge after 2 (max 3) days! One day, I woke up and had the back part of my base flipped up, unveiling about 2 inches of my naked head. I was shocked to say the least, and decided to do a little research. I found this website and from the forum, I thought Walker No Shine was highly rated. Inconsiderate whether it was good for poly base, I bought and applied it. The bond was awesome! It even made edges less detectable to the touch! I play soccer and exercise quite alot and sometimes, I went 2 weeks without needing to remove and reattach. Obviously, before you question my hygene, I took it off and thoroughly cleaned it. Walker No Shine proved to be a pain in the ass to clean it off the base, and I dont think it is suggested on poly bases. But anyway. In the meantime... seeing amateur photos on this forum convinced me that Toplace might be a better (and much cheaper) solution so I placed the order (I will talk about this later). System No.1, like I said made me itch and I would scratch to the point that I made a bald patch on my crown area!

To be continued...
08-13-2010, 06:28 PM,
RE: My review, queries, tips and tricks from a newbie
Hello mrjoejohn, Welcome to the forums. Really interesting story --can`t wait for the rest of it !!
I`d say an all -poly base in the climate in your country, and your active lifestyle, would lead to issues, mainly due to sweating, and high temperatures. I`m sure, once we get your full story, the readers will be pleased to give suggestions --- cheers for now, Paul.
08-14-2010, 03:56 AM,
Great stuff, this is info link material. I will add to info link thread and comment when I get to my pc.
08-14-2010, 11:29 PM,
I meant to say, Debbie has a product available, called `Scalp protector`` [pic attached ] which is for use in warm climates and for people with oily scalps and those engaged in swimming and sports. Also prevents irritation from tapes and adhesives. I got a bottle ``just in case `` but I have not actually used it, so cannot comment on it, but might be worth considering for anyone who has some of those issues. Paul.

Attached Files Image(s)

08-16-2010, 01:30 AM,
oh cool, I might give that a try! thanks Paul Smile

Here is part 2.
---------------

Cont. from SOLUTION 1: The polybase non-Toplace system
--------------------------------------------------------
So like I said, this hair system, gave me confidence but I was still not 100% sure about it, I thought it could be better, and I pinpointed what was ticking me off... namely:
a) density b) texture (hair too straight) c) polybase (sweating and traceable edges and weird plastic sound when you scratch your scalp).

Aaa one more thing which was ticking me off big time was that the hair was injected in such a way that I could never have the front hair lying back. And I was afraid someone would slide the hands in my hair and would DEFINITELY feel the edge and possibly also detaching it from my scalp! Luckily, it never happened.

One more thing to note is that since the base does not breathe air... whenever I showered with it, or went for a swim, the system would absorb all the water and become really heavy! Anyway, by now you should have got it... Im a big ANTI-POLY lol. But Im just trying to remember EVERYTHING that bothered me so that you will know A-Z about Full-poly bases.

RETURNING TO WORK with SOLUTION 1: Tips
---------------------------------------
I was really uncomfortable returning to work. I knew I looked better, but at the same time, I knew Id have some people staring at me. But I made the move... I gelled my hair, shaved my beard, and off I went. Many people stared at me. I felt veeeery uncomfortable. Some people didnt notice but some had that `wtf` look on their face. I tried to be direct and small talk... when they said what did I do? I said my gf took me to a salon and made me have a haircut, which was hair coloring (black - cause I figured everyone knows that a fresh coloring leaves residue on the scalp and makes it look more dense lol), straightening and cut. Some people fell for it (I guess), some of them were more invasive and said ... `but you had less density didnt you?` to which I replied `Really?` hahaha. Some people said I looked younger, some people said they cant recognise me, some people said I looked like a rockstar, some said I looked gay lol. But I tried not to fall for it... I kept on reminding myself it was all in my head that I am busted. So I tried to keep my cool (terrible first week dealing with anxiety at work). Figured out this would be a bad week, but its gonna take just a week - because i would have seen every colleague by then and it wouldnt be likely that they would ask the same questions. MOST importantly, I thought, no-one will ask the question `Are you wearing a wig?` for 2 reasons: its not polite and it doesnt ACTUALLY look like a wig - and for this, thanks to the bad rugs that took the bad name. After a week, the anxiety started to ease and I was pretty much ok... still f*ck up at times and go check the mirror frequently but I think it is normal.

BUYING A TOPLACE UNIT
---------------------
Im the kinda-guy that am determined at not giving up, whatever that may take. After I had targetted my major concerns, I said ok Im gonna do the leap and order a toplace unit. Specs: 65% density, french lace with swiss lace on the front, body wave. I sent in my template (same template/ mould that the club had done for me) and that was it, I hoped for the best. In the meantime, I said, worst comes to the worst, I always can go back to wearing Solution 1. I have a spare unit from Solution 1 which is still new in the box.

In the meantime, I was HOPING Toplace unit would be the answer to my concerns. I was kinda positive about it, so I was giving the existing one all kind of bad treatment. It had become my enemy - like living with a terrible wife (excuse the pun) if you know what i mean lol. Payback from solution 1 was a bald patch in my crown area which I had to remedy with concealers till toplace unit arrived. what a b*tch! lol.
Sidenote: Them buggers at the hair club told me that the unit would last me a year, and I was in my fourth month already looking for a new one.

SOLUTION 2: TOPLACE UNIT
------------------------
After much conversations with John, Toplace unit arrived. It took a little more time than I expected but I wasnt much in a hurry so I didnt really mind. Straight out of the wrapping, it looked 100 times more real than Solution 1 I could not believe it. The wave and density seemed top notch, and the hair more realistic than the previous system. I was looking forward to try it on. In the meantime, I had bought Walker No Shine tape, Blue Tape, 3mm Tape, iGlue, 99% Isopropyl etc.

So the first impression was good. When I was trying to get the tape to stick to the lace, I found out it was giving me a much harder time than poly. In time, I got better, still not as fast as poly. I had absolutely no success with 3mm tape, its very flimsy. My first try was an all-tape attachment (I was used to that with the poly base). it took me about an hour and a half to attach it (which was more difficult than poly) but it looked much better! I have learnt that you have to be extremely patient otherwise rushing it by 5 minutes might get you to start over again and waste another hour and a half. So make sure you have no plans for the night. I usually do the whole process at 1am. Its usually quiet at home, everyone is asleep and nothing gets in the way.

ATTACHMENT WITH AN ALL TAPE, ON LACE
------------------------------------
I cut the front lace, left about 4mm extra and attached with tape. It was easier to do but I found out that I had shine which seemed kinda funny, so after some research, I learned that glue might be a solution to this.

ATTACHMENT WITH AN ALL TAPE except for the FRONT, ON LACE
---------------------------------------------------------
I almost immediately took off my system, and tried an all tape except for the glue. I used a mixture of Blue Tape and Walker No Shine tape around the perimiter (and one long one covering front to back), and left about half an inch from the front without any. After I attached, I used iGlue for the front bit. The results were so much better, definitely no shine now! However, I am still having problems with the bond. It seems that I have to touch up every day. With an exposed hair line... you kinda want the hairline to be smooth. I currently face the problem of bumps and rigs with the hairline (but more on this on problems with Lace later on).

PROS of a LACE UNIT
-------------------
All in all though, a much much much better unit! First thing I did in fact was jump to bed to see how it felt when my head is against a pillow. And it felt so light it felt as real as my own hair! Then I tried soaking my head in water, and again, it was light as a feather!

So basically my problems seem to be addressed by this unit:
a) density was now spot on
b) base was now lighter, no more itching, and scalp was breathable sweat will go to the hair, no more plastic sounds when I scratch, edges a lot less traceable!
c) texture and hair more realistic, color seemed to blend in easier as well.

CONS of a LACE UNIT
-------------------
1. It looks a little less durable than the all poly base which looked like a heavy weight old rug. Countering this though, the all poly base made me itch so much that it drove me crazy at times i would scratch like a maniac - which screwed the durability of it. I would say I have diminished its life from a year to 4 months. With the All lace unit, I am experiencing less itching, and since I dont scratch, I am thinking I might get the maximum life from it, maybe 4 months, which is good enough for me, since it costs much less.

2. Attachment is definitely a bigger pain in the ass. But I recall seeing poly as a pain in the ass when I started wearing.. so I am hoping, I will master my skills and become much better at it that i wont see a difference.

3. Also, styling is somewhat giving me a problem, but after 1 week I can already see a much better change, so I think that its only a matter of time till the hair gets used to my style.

4. Also, I really cant see much difference between the french lace and the swiss lace, so if it is less durable like you all seem to say, then I am definitely going for an ALL french lace unit next time.

---------------------

Ok so, enough of the comparing, an ALL lace unit is much better than an all poly base unit in my honest opinion - guaranteed! Now on to the tips and problems I am currently facing with the ALL lace (and hoping for some feedback here).

So, like I said, the ALL lace unit is a bit more complicated to wear. I have absolutely found no difficulty detaching it.

DETACHING THE UNIT
------------------
TIP 1: I bought Isopropyl 99% - 1 Litre, from Ebay, very cheap and I think it is great! I have bought 2 spray bottles, one I filled with isopropyl and the other I filled with water and use them sparingly.

TIP 2: Isopropyl hurts when it gets in your eyes. What I do is I wear a Visor. If you wear a Visor upside down, the Visor tip keeps the isopropyl from getting in your eyes. Wearing a head band is ok, but I had better results with a Visor since spray bottles ... well, spray lol.

Since I know where I placed the tape, I usually put the nozzle straight on where the tape is, and I start spraying. I usually let it sit for a couple of minutes, 10-15 minutes, a sigarette break or whatever. then I see if I can feel an edge, and when I do, i spray more isopropyl on that edge, not through the hair, but under the lace. this is the easiest solution, and the system detaches instantly with every spray of isopropyl, it literally almost falls off, leaving all the tape on my scalp and minimum (if any) residue on the lace! Only the bloody glue seems to stay on the lace. So I have no idea how some people adopt an all glue solution, it would drive me crazy.

The simple part is ready I guess. The MOST DIFFICULT PART, which is soooo time consuming (I cant see why tbh) is getting all the tape off my scalp. Since I still have some hair, it usually would have grown a bit by the time I detach, and the tape becomes gooey and sticks to the hair. I use the citrus lace release, and isopropyl - but to no luck. I detached it today, and it must have took me a good 15/ 20 minutes to get rid of most of the tape. I am open to ideas and tips.

Getting rid of the little glue which sticks to the Lace is another big pain in the ass because ok, I sprayed Lace release and I tried the mirror slide, but not to the best of results. I usually have a needle and try to play around till I remove MOST of the glue.

I guess it depends from the individual, but Im definitely gonna try to use more Tape than glue where possible.

After that is done, I am ready to wash my unit.

WASHING THE UNIT
----------------
Since I hear you lot complaining that color might change in time... I bought an Aussie Color Mate Shampoo. The Aussie shampoos are the best I have ever found and I kinda swear by the brand. Since I am a new toplace wearer (3 weeks), I cannot report any findings so far.

ATTACHING THE UNIT
------------------
From my experience, always apply adhesives when the system is damp, not dry! I dont know why, but I had better results when it was damp/ wet. I have found that when it dries, the lace shrinks a bit and becomes more difficult to work with because then you would need to stretch it to apply perfectly on your scalp.

I start applying either blue tape, or Walker No Shine. I start with the front, about half an inch off the edge (I will reserve the front half an inch for glue). And then, I go all around the perimeter. And one long one that meets front to back. This gives me a perfect bond imo. Perhaps abit too safe, but Id rather be on that side than be the center of a joke. It will never cross my mind to try got2bglued.

I used to have a problem working with the tape, getting it on the lace. 2 solutions for this:

TIP 3: The tape overlaps another tape. than rub your nail against the `overlap` and pull the cover (?). Tape no1 (the one beneath) should stick to the other one and makes for an easier release.

TIP 4: When that is done... place the cover perpendicular on the exposed tape (it would help you from getting your fingers stuck in it and making a mess

Many people seem to swear by the 4/5 finger rule, I kinda had mixed results for some reason, sometimes I have a wide forehead, sometimes a small forehead... the following tip solves my problem.

TIP 5: I use a pencil to draw a line from one eyebrow to the other. (a bridge). I get a ruler, and I mark with a pencil exactly 5cms from the bridge. I mark, the whole front contour.

IF you want to use antiperspirant, they re fine... I usually get a better hold... but DO NOT use it where you will use glue. Each time I tried it, I ended up having blotches of dry glue which is no good.

I place the front half inch (the naked bit - no glue, no tapes so far) and when I see it is aligned nicely with the pencil line, I stretch and work my way slowly to the back. Voila, piece in place. Now for the glue. First things first, I expose the front half inch, and clean off the pencil and then I go in front of a fan (it helps to keep the area fresh and helps it keep the front bit back) and I apply glue. So far, I only have iGlue... and from my experience, it SUCKS big time. I do not get a hold which lasts longer than a day at best! And I am really really hoping the glue is to fault, or perhaps I am doing something wrong. What I do is apply a small coat and rub it in till it clears. After a minute or two, I apply another coat... and keep going like so, doing about 5 coats in all. Slowly place the front bit in place, get a comb which I spray with isopropyl, and tuck the base in place. When I have some hairs stuck in the glue...

TIP 6: ... dip a qtip in Virgin Oil, and it is as good as Lace Release, in 2 seconds, they are released.

However, when I do that, I can already start seeing some bumps. I try to retouch... I usually put some glue on the edge of a business card, and slide it in. Again I get some hairs stuck, so I release them, and again I see some bumps which are really ticking me off. Sometimes I keep going over this about 15 times... and I am still not 100% happy! I hope it is the glue, I have now purchased Ultra Hold... and hoping for the best.

In this case, my solution is to leave a little and some hairs stuck in the glue. It keeps the lace down and it gives the impression that the hairs are stuck by gel. Not too bad a result imo. I will upload photos later and you tell me for yourself.

Anyway after I am about 95% happy, I wet my hair and style it.

Usually when I wash my hair I get a little extra volume to my liking... so what I do is...

TIP 7: Put some wax, and Wear a beanie or a head band for a good couple of hours, it will get your hair in order Wink

I have bought Fray Check (from ebay) and it is pretty good. It kinda seals the front bit. I have found out though, that I think it leaves some white residue in the hair... kinda like small flakes. So I am gonna avoid it as much as possible, or use it only briefly.

And that is it really! I am much much happier with the ALL LACE as opposed to the ALL POLY, and maybe ready to place another order, cause after this, there is no going back to the poly system that i have in my closet.

With my method, I go a whole week with no buldges and no nothing. I obviously need to do hairline touchups every day but I am hoping I will solve this issue when I receive another glue.

MY PROBLEMS THAT I NEED TO ADDRESS (CALL FOR HELP):
---------------------------------------------------
1. Front bit, glue doesnt create a bond longer than a day! Tape is no good, cause it leaves a shine which I dont like... even if it is Walker NO SHINE.
2. Front bit, I am hoping will be addressed when I get a better glue.. but the edge, I can still SLIGHTLY feel. I d be conscious if someone slid their fingers through my hairline.
3. I am also, slightly conscious if someone is walking right behind me. For some reason, I fear that they will see it doesnt blend in PERFECTLY well and make out I am wearing. I have taken a gazillion photos, and it looks good, the blending is well, I am pretty sure that anyone who doesnt know that I wear would not figure out... just my mind playing psycho tricks.
4. I constantly fear, that if I ever get involved in a pub fight, someone might grab my hair and pull it off. Now, I know this is a bit far fetched, cause I have never been in a pub fight where anyone grabbed my hair but the image itself worries me. I know I shouldnt worry much cause I do a proper attachment. And I constantly try some stress tests, trying to pull it hard... and it doesnt make a move. Today I had a stress test, went to my auntie whom I hadnt seen for ages, and for some reason, she was so happy she grabbed my hair and pulled it. I went `oh shit` and my parents were there (they know I wear) and started laughing... but all of us realised it didnt make a move. I am pretty sure that some hair might come off, but the piece to come all off with the base and all, is practically almost impossibe. What do you guys think?
5. I am going abroad soon, for a week. I probably wouldnt need to change it but, would you take all the hair-bag with you? I was thinking of taking a cap, and glue for touchups only, and perhaps some lace release. What would you take?
6. Would you keep yourself away from being adventurous? I have played football/soccer (wearing a hair band), and went swimming, and do gym... but would you jump off a 2 storey cliff in the sea? Would you do skydiving? Or go on Rollercoaster rides? So far, when I had the opportunity to jump off a 2 storey cliff (in the sea), I chickened out. Said I wasnt up to swimming. I was dying for a swim. But I was afraid I would be the laughing stock of a whole group of friends and unknown people.

I think that is all I had to say.

I dont want to sound all pro lace systems! Countless of times, to date, I still wish I had my own hair back. The hair system is probably what I came closest to in terms of realism and feel good. But, it is NO MIRACLE MAKER, I like my hair now, but other things worry me now (whether it will be pulled out, whether people know I am wearing etc etc, and I sooo could do without the detaching, cleaning and reattaching process). I hope for better advances in hair restoration, but at least, I feel I have found a good temporary solution which keeps me happy, most of the times. What I know is, that if I could have turned back the time, I would have avoided expensive hair transplants, inexpensive hair concealers, expensive worthless pills, and expensive hair clubs... and jumped straight to this. So it must mean something. It must mean I am happiest now. And for those thinking about this, I hope they would take the leap and get it over and done with. You can either accept that you dont like yourself, or try to make a step forward in looking AT LEAST a little better. Smile

Your feedback, much appreciated.
08-16-2010, 01:49 AM,
great tips Smile

I think it is imposible, that someone could grab my hair and pull it off. I use a very strong Adhensive and there is no chance that someone could accomplish that. Probably they would have some hair in their hands, but the lace will still bond on my scalb. I dont know, I dont use tape, so maybe thats the reason. But i never used tape, so i cant make a comparison.
08-16-2010, 04:49 AM,
What an overall great and informative/ descriptive post ! May I be so bold as to suggest you change pub to somewhere more up-market ? ;-) [ only pulling your leg! ]
Seriously, as you have discovered and described, wearing can be a steep learning - curve. Adhesives can behave differently from person to person due to varying body -chemistry, and the climate of the country of wherever a person lives,so trial and error has to play a part until you find one which `suits`you. You described exactly why wearing an all -poly for prolonged periods can lead to various issues -- to my mind it can`t be healthy to apply 2 or 3 layers of strong glue to your scalp, blocking the pores in the process, and then planking what is basically a sheet of PVC on top of that , and leave it there for up to a month without issues arising [itching etc. ] The lace allows the skin to breath and remain dry. Your pores can exude sweat etc, which will be washed off as normal when you shower. You are still learning --don`t give up on it. You will perfect your own ways of bonding and de-bonding. At first it`s bound to take a long time as you `` feel`` your way.... after a while it won`t take you half as long. As I said in another reply during the week, I am using a glue called Tracksafe ---- I find it very very good, strong and no shine off it --- great on poly or lace. Would you consider your next system something similar to my own... a small poly perimeter with lace front ? I can assure you the poly is so thin you`d really not detect it to the touch if glued on --- it`s only marginally thicker than the lace. I think your issue with positioning will come good in time---just needs practice...... use two mirrors and sit the system onto your head --then fold up the back so you can see the bald area -- just manoeuvre it down until the perimeter just about meets your own hair --- then carefully mark the front hairline with a womens eyebrow pencil -- much easier to use than an ordinary pencil. I find with the tracksafe, I apply a thin layer first, allow it to go clear, and if I want a really strong bond, I apply a second layer, allow to clear, and only then, press the lace down onto it ---- I use lace -release to free it and it comes off literally in seconds and most of the glue is on the skin and not stuck to the lace. Anyone who has followed my older threads and replies will know I am not a big fan of frequent washing/shampooing the system. I mist it with water nightly and `fluff`it up a bit with my finger tips -- allow to dry naturally --occasionally I use a little leave- in conditioner which I spray on - again, sparingly. I`d also suggest, maybe using/wearing a stock system for gym / swimming etc. and keep a `` good`` one for work and going out socially [ to respectable pubs :-) ] I reckon turning up at work as you describe was really daunting --you really handled it well and reasoned it out too on what way to approach it if people commented. I honestly think, the days of being self- conscious about wearing are slowly coming to an end ---- thankfully the newer materials and bases and decent human hair, make going out with a carpet stuck to your head which immediately drew comment, a thing of the past. If your front teeth were missing you`d get a denture I reckon and most people would think nothing of it --why should hair be any different ? For any person who may be daunted at the thought of making the transition due to work -colleagues etc. I `d suggest, maybe getting a very light density unit first, cut fairly short, and preferably attached during holidays or leave, and you can then go for your `proper`density at a later stage when people have grown used to `` the new you`` ---- when I first began wearing a good few years back, my hair was ok at the sides, but had receded back from the front towards the crown -- I just wore a partial with low density and it only came about half way towards the front hairline......... people didn`t notice [well if they did, they didn`t comment ] and when I went for the full system it really was not an issue --just my story from a long time back but maybe worth considering for anyone who is wary of the `shock- factor` in people who know you. Just remembered it there as I was typing. Even with that partial piece, I was really `bricking`it going in to work so I know how self -conscious anyone might feel.
Finally, as I said on another reply to a post this morning, I feel that the back / neck area is just as important as the front especially as you can`t see it without using 2 mirrors so I can fully relate to how you`d be conscious of it ---especially if standing in a queue where people behind you have nothing to do but stare at the back of your head !!
Brilliant post --thanks for sharing it with us here and I really do hope you`ll persevere with wearing and some more readers will give their input --so come on lads, leave your comments and/or questions after he going to the trouble of sharing all that with us --- it`s great to see the ``pros and cons`` of one type of system over another I think ---very best wishes. Paul.
08-17-2010, 01:36 AM,
thank you guys for the feedback!
Really appreciate it.

I am a fairly new wearer. Been only 6 months wearing in total, and only 2 or 3 weeks wearing a lace system! So I am taking my time to learn. I know it will one day become much easier for me, I am just a newbie.

Paul, I may be intrigued to experiment with a poly perimeter like yours. And tracksafe, never heard of it, but I will definitely give it a look.

And the way you wear the system... I do not sit the system on my scalp. I am seeing your way makes more sense. My way is to place the front bit on the eye liner marking, and then I just go rolling it all back in place quickly hoping it falls all in perfect place lol. sometimes (more times than not), some of the lace falls on my real hair in fact.

I thought to upload a picture.
This is me wearing my all lace attachment.

All feedback much appreciated.
lol. it actually looks much better in real life Big Grin

Attached Files Image(s)

08-17-2010, 03:35 AM,
Hello again -- I`m impressed ! Looks great--nice style too. For a new wearer you`re doing fine. I just tried phoning that company which makes Tracksafe glue --- it`s coming up as number out of service so maybe in this recession they are no longer trading. I Googled `tracksafe glue` and the first company which came up is a British one who sell various hairpieces and accessories and they have tracksafe --21£ sterling for a bottle. I didn`t check further to know if they ship abroad but I`m sure they do --have a look anyway.
Briefly, my reasoning behind ordering lace with partial poly perimeter is you`re combining the best properties of both, in that the poly helps with positioning and ease of attachment and the lace front gives a great touch of realism to the eye of anyone looking. You can use glue on the poly and it`s easier to remove it , whereas glue can get stuck to the lace and you have to be careful/gentle when getting it off --- the poly strip is 1 inch[ 25mm] width but you can order a narrower width if you prefer....... I think the 1 inch gives it more strength and enables it to withstand tape being peeled off it many times and in the case of glue, the effects of solvents on it over time...again it`s personal choice. I found with all -poly systems I had from Salons, that after a while, they eventually got little holes appearing and little rips/ tears --that `s the effect of the acid in sweat when fully bonded for a few weeks at a time. I have only had a little browning / discoloration on the poly on my toplace system, but no rips etc -- I reckon that`s because I don`t do full perimeter bonds for prolonged periods and can keep the scalp and system itself, cleaner that way. On my suggestion of sitting the system on your head and locating the back `` meeting point`` and using that to mark your front hairline --remember there is a bit of `stretch`in the lace----- I bond the poly first as you know, then gently pull the lace front forward until I meet resistance and that`s where I glue ---gives a nice snug fit. Am posting 2 or 3 more pics on the ``Toplace system -before and after `` thread, just to give people an idea of what it looks like a week on from being cut -in. Like you were saying, my camera too, makes things look kind of `artificial`or a bit grainy /shiny but in reality it looks fine.You can have a look when you are next browsing........ anyway, well done on your pic and post --- you`re doing fine. Paul.
08-17-2010, 09:11 AM,
thank you paul for your feedback, it really helps since I dont really speak much about it to keep everything as low profile as possible. Smile

In time I will definitely try different kinds of systems and methods, adhesives etc. so that I can find my perfect match. These things take time. And like I said, I have only been wearing a lace system for 2 weeks, so I am pretty sure in 6 months time everything will become easier.

Lemme check your other threads.