Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions from a returning potential wearer
08-04-2010, 04:08 PM,
Questions from a returning potential wearer
Hi guys,

I'm 25 and have been slowly losing my hair since 16. When it finally got to the point that it was going to be quite noticeable to anyone even with coverup products, I ordered a piece from toplace and used it for about 8 months (this was in 2007-08). I have diffuse thinning more or less all over so I used a full cap (or maybe it was a 3/4, I don't quite remember). There was nothing wrong with the piece but I really didn't like wearing what felt like a huge hat 24/7; maintenance was a bit harder than I had hoped, I was occasionally paranoid about being noticed, and probably most importantly, the attachments were tough to stay consistent with - I always felt like I was placing it too far forward or back on the hairline, or too much to the left or right, etc. At the same time I was quite depressed so I'm sure this intensified lots of these feelings.

So anyway, I finally said screw it and shaved my head, which is what I've been doing in the time since. I visited the site the other day and read through some of the forums, and I'm intrigued by some of the discussions about got2b glue. If it works as advertised, it would do away with alot of the attachment issues I had, and also allow me to detach during the week at night or something if I wanted.

I have a few questions though specific to my situation. I just want to draw attention away from my hair, so I want a basic, traditional style, combed over the hairline so no hairline showing. I would probably go with pretty (or very) low density so that it wouldn't be obvious that I was wearing. I wouldn't mind, actually, if it looked like I was thinning somewhat, as I think it would be a natural transition that way. I'm wondering how short it is possible to go with a full cap piece, especially without an exposed hairline? For instance, could something like this be done:

http://www.fotosearch.com/bigcomp.asp?pa...060591.jpg
or the guy on the right in this one: http://www.fotosearch.com/bigcomp.asp?pa...941741.jpg

This is basically the style I'm looking for - the style for people who don't care about their hair, they just get it cut short every month or so and don't have to worry about it at all until the next month.

My other concern is that with my last piece I felt like I had "big hair" on the top - kind of like rob blagojevich , just a huge mass of hair on the top. I had the person cutting it in thin it out as much as possible but it still felt pretty massive. Is there something I can ask the factory to do to decrease this? I think my density was like 65-70 last time so I don't think it's because I had too much density on top, but I guess its possible.

Finally, if I did decide to use got2b glue, can I safely use just that, or should I use tape as well on the front? And how is the cleanup with got2b glue?

Oh yeah, one more thing - I can't see probably 75% of the pictures posted on the forum, it just says "attachment" and then blank under that. Is anyone else having this problem? I am using firefox.

Thank very much.
08-14-2010, 04:28 AM,
RE: Questions from a returning potential wearer
Hello Luke77. I read your post a few days ago but was waiting to see if JRob would post a reply as he is the expert in the full -cap department. He`s been busy with his own things I think lately, though he did leave a few replies recently, to other posts. I`m sure he`ll chip in with advice when he sees this. I`m not an expert in full caps, or in the got2bglue, but as far as I know, that product is a very strong hair gel which washes out /releases quite easily in the shower... it`s not available in Ireland, so I have no experience with it, but I have seen posts here on it --seems to be easy to work with.
The forum has had a make-over recently, and I am using Google Chrome, and certain pics are not opening for me either , but not all, for some reason. Try clearing your browser history as the cookies for the site might be to blame -- I`m not a computer geek either, but I was having similar problem recently with other sites, and I cleared the cookies and it mostly sorted out the problem.
Your density sounds as if it was a bit too high on the piece that you ordered --you can specify any density you like --- I know it can be hard to know what to specify on your first piece, and the hair -wearing game can be a steep learning curve at first, but as time goes on you`ll perfect your own ways of doing things and likes/dislikes. You have the right idea in relation to scalp show -through ....... it totally adds a convincing touch to the `art`of wearing. I saw a pic of a full-cap posted a few days ago and it looked quite similar to what you are looking for --it was short and very neat --- I will have a look at the post after I have finished this one --- you may have seen it by now ? I feel the styles you have links-to, can easily be replicated, but again I hope JRob can chime in here .. he`s very knowledgeable as I said. As far as I know [ I will delve into the forums now for a look ] you can use got2bglue at the front hairline as opposed to adhesives --but let me check into that and I`ll get back to you. I got my latest unit cut- in this week, and posted before /after pics on page 3 of the ``2 Videos from Norway`` thread --have a look at them as there is a pic of my own remaining thin hair --- see if it`s similar to yours -- I have not gone down the full -cap route [yet] but may consider it in time --- I can fully appreciate how as a newbie, shaving all your hair and trying to ``manage`` a full cap [positioning it etc ] must have been quite problematic. Would you consider going for a partial similar to my own with a slightly longer length than a full cap with a very short length, just to see if that can kind of ease you into hair wearing without taking the plunge into the world of full caps from the start ? Might just be worth considering. I will be doing a new post --maybe this evening - just for those who may not have read all the way through the `Norway`post --- so people can have a look and make of it what they will .... it can be soul-destroying losing hair especially at a young age and affects self -esteem and confidence, as I am only too well aware of, but don`t be afraid to give it another go. Paul.
I managed to lift the pic that JRob posted of that full cap [hope it`s not copyrighted !! :-) ] At least I credited him with it !
It`s a really nice style and lovely density allowing scalp show -through.... I do hope you can see it. Isn`t it really good ? Paul.

Attached Files Image(s)

08-14-2010, 07:47 AM,
I just opened up the main forums page --just scroll down to the bottom, and in the search bar on the right, type in `got2bglued`and a lot of older posts on it comes up -- I didn`t go through them all, but if you trawl through them , I reckon you`ll have a better idea of how to use it --I did see someone saying they thought it was great for holding a full cap in place, but maybe not so good at a partial -- have a look through anyway. I am a bit short of time just now, but I will look in greater detail tomorrow --best wishes for now. Paul.
08-15-2010, 09:10 AM,
Thanks for the response Paul. I saw your pictures in the other thread and they look great, I'm glad it's working for you. The pic you posted of JRob (I think?) looks amazing as well. Of course there's no front view but the view you gave is exactly what I would like to go for. If JRob reads this, would you mind posting what your specs are, or contacting me? I don't think that going for a partial with a bit longer length would work for me. I have diffuse thinning all over, so my sides and back are thin as well - although not as thin as the top. So I think I would have some major issues blending anything less than a full cap. I guess you may be right about the density last time...maybe this time I should go with really low density since all of the pics looks like full heads of hair to me, even with the low densities. Anyway thanks again for the advice and best of luck.
08-15-2010, 08:18 PM,
Hello Luke77 -- The full -cap pic was posted by JRob [ THE expert in the area of full cap wearing] but it`s another chap who is wearing it. I hope he sees the post and can chip in with his advice. I have posted 2 pics here now which I just took of how awful my hair is after sleeping on it --look at how thin it is and like rat-tails at the back. My trick and the only reason I am holding on to it [ I may eventually go full cap ] is that you can easily blend the system onto your own and especially at the back, where, to my mind, can be a `give-away` if a person is wearing ----- the bit of your own hair is right in against the nape of the neck and you can `blend` or layer the system hair onto it, which gives a fairly realistic impression --most of my awful hair is not visible when I`m wearing the system, but I comb/blend the system hair `into`my own, so it`s not so noticeable. The pic of that chap wearing that full cap is brilliant really---- I have seen on the forum that one of the issues with full-cap can be keeping it adhered at the nape, due to the constant movement of the head in that area --- that`s why I am keeping my own hair there just to give a `base`to go on to with the system hair if you will.
The third pic is of my previous system, which has a slightly higher density, and which I thinned out a bit since the pic was taken, but it will give you an idea of how it looks at the back and side blended onto my own [crap] hair --- a person with ``an eye`` on here may well see the system, but I can assure you, I never got a second glance from anyone out in public --- you will know if a person is `looking`at your head and wondering if you are wearing, and it hasn`t happened to me .
Anyway, it may be food for thought for you if your thinning is as bad as mine..... and hopefully JRob will chip in shortly. Best wishes, Paul.

Attached Files Image(s)

08-16-2010, 07:04 AM,
Hey guys I'm still around but very short on time (getting ready to shoot some of the final shots for the full cap dvd today!).

I'll try to get back around with a proper reply later tonight if I can get things wrapped up.
08-16-2010, 08:21 AM,
Appreciate that JRob -- can`t wait for the DVD ! Paul.
08-17-2010, 02:31 PM,
Hey Paul, I appreciate the response again - if I may ask you something to clarify, how far back does the piece go on the back of your head? It's hard to tell from the pics if there is half an inch of your own hair or three inches. I just don't quite understand, if my hair is kept short like the pic you posted on the first post, how it would be possible to blend into my own hair if I kept a bit of my own on the back. I think it would probably be better if I posted a pic of how my hair looks now so you could make a judgment, I should have a digital camera within the next few days so I can do so. But I kind of think my case is one where a full cap is really necessary because my sides are really thin. Thanks again.
08-17-2010, 07:17 PM,
Hi luke77. I just measured my own hair length now --it`s 3 inches at the back. The perimeter of the system bonds to the bald skin at the point where my own hair is growing from, and the hair `hangs down` over my own. The stylist layers-in the system hair onto the growing hair. I only ordered 3 -inch length on this new system, in order to make less work for the stylist. I just about got away with it -- I think 4 inches would have been safer to `play with,` but I just didn`t see the point of getting the standard 6 inches and literally half of it ending up on the salon floor and giving the stylist a harder job in layering it in. It also saved time as it only took 10 minutes to do literally, also having the bonus that she only charged 20Euros !!
Post a pic when you can, and hopefully JRob will get back and leave a bit of advice too ---it would be helpful to see the density of your hair. My only concern with full -cap wearing in general, is that they can have a tendency to lift/ de-bond at the nape [ JRob did a post on the issue a while back, and how he made V- shaped cuts in the lace there to give a more natural impression rather than a straight line across the back ] My impression would be that if it kind of lifted off/away from the skin there, it would be fairly obvious, whereas if you had a bit of your own hair --even and inch or so -- it would be less stark you know ? I`m just thinking aloud really --- JRob would be best to give definitive advice --he`s making a DVD of the whole full cap process, and I`m anxious to get my hands on a copy as soon as it`s available as I`m considering going down that road. I just took 2 pics of the back of my system and where it meets the growing hair --you will see the white backing paper on the strip of tape which I use to attach --note the `` excess`` of hair from the system, sticking out into the sir ---- that simply folds down over and onto the growing hair and gives the impression of fullness/density --that`s where the skill of the stylist is apparent. Will post the pics below this post. I hope that is of some help .... and I`ll keep an eye on this thread as I`d like to hear what JRob has to say about whether it`s practical to keep a little of your own hair at the nape for realism when wearing a full cap.Regards, Paul.
Hope that gives you an idea luke77, again, the pics are not great quality but may help better than a load of words on a post... Paul.

Attached Files Image(s)

08-24-2010, 06:14 AM,
Hey Luke,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

The picture that Paul posted is of Dino's full cap. He cuts them really short and does a great job of pulling it off, but he has been wearing hair for a long time.

I looked at the pictures of the style you are trying to achieve and I would recommend starting out with something a little longer. It is generally ok to go very short above the ears and even in the nape, but if you try to take the hair down that low on the entire unit it may show ventilation flaws (patches of lighter density, direction of the hair, etc.).

I'm not saying that it's impossible to go that short, but the shorter you go the more difficult it is. I would hate to see you ruin your first unit trying to get an extremely short style.