Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP - cold feet as well! St. Louis stylist?
07-27-2010, 07:15 AM,
HELP - cold feet as well! St. Louis stylist?
Hey everyone,

I am "soon to be" hair wearer and I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place. About a month ago or so I did the skype consult with Debbie and really liked everything she had to say. I asked for a recommendation on stylists but unfortunately there were none in my area (St. Louis, MO) She instead did a google search for the most appropriate direction. She pointed me to a couple different companies to try out. I met with two (one of which I decided wasn't that experienced with men)

The company I chose to go with was J. Brokaw Hair Solutions or - jbrokawhair.com

Here is the problem. The person I consulted with was very helpful and kind, but they only type of wearing she was familiar with was long term. 3 week minimum! Everything I have read about on this forum said that is way too long. When I mentioned self cleaning every 3-5 days she said that it was impossible to remove after only 5 days. Now I will say that the hair pieces she had in stock were quite impressive. Even though they weren't custom pieces they seemed to match and fit me ok. She even did a partial cut in to give me an idea what it looked like.

What should I do? I really don't know how to begin with doing my own template, let alone having contacts in St. Louis that will cut in my toplace piece. The prices at J. Brokaw were very expensive, but I feel as if I don't have a choice at this point. If it weren't for the long term wearing I probably would have already given them a try. I want to move forward wearing, but I feel like all the signs and road blocks are telling me not to. I am really hoping there is someone out there who has experience in this area, or at least can point me in a better direction.

In advance, I appreciate everyones time for reading and helping me out with this.

Jared
07-30-2010, 07:41 AM,
RE: HELP - cold feet as well! St. Louis stylist?
come on guys someone has to know somebody..

(07-27-2010, 07:15 AM)jball Wrote: Hey everyone,

I am "soon to be" hair wearer and I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place. About a month ago or so I did the skype consult with Debbie and really liked everything she had to say. I asked for a recommendation on stylists but unfortunately there were none in my area (St. Louis, MO) She instead did a google search for the most appropriate direction. She pointed me to a couple different companies to try out. I met with two (one of which I decided wasn't that experienced with men)

The company I chose to go with was J. Brokaw Hair Solutions or - jbrokawhair.com

Here is the problem. The person I consulted with was very helpful and kind, but they only type of wearing she was familiar with was long term. 3 week minimum! Everything I have read about on this forum said that is way too long. When I mentioned self cleaning every 3-5 days she said that it was impossible to remove after only 5 days. Now I will say that the hair pieces she had in stock were quite impressive. Even though they weren't custom pieces they seemed to match and fit me ok. She even did a partial cut in to give me an idea what it looked like.

What should I do? I really don't know how to begin with doing my own template, let alone having contacts in St. Louis that will cut in my toplace piece. The prices at J. Brokaw were very expensive, but I feel as if I don't have a choice at this point. If it weren't for the long term wearing I probably would have already given them a try. I want to move forward wearing, but I feel like all the signs and road blocks are telling me not to. I am really hoping there is someone out there who has experience in this area, or at least can point me in a better direction.

In advance, I appreciate everyones time for reading and helping me out with this.

Jared
07-31-2010, 12:47 AM,
RE: HELP - cold feet as well! St. Louis stylist?
Hi Jared, There are a a number of different bases available, as you will know from reading this forum. I had a quick look at the site you mentioned above, but not in any great detail --just saw the usual `` glossy`` images of people with nice -looking, full heads of hair, put there so you can /will imagine yourself like one of those models. I`m sure there is probably nothing at all wrong with the service they provide, like most of these salons, but as you said, they WILL charge you nicely for the privilege. I posted a reply a few days ago to the topic of getting `` cold feet`` about wearing, in which I told how I went about finding a stylist --just have a read of that and see if it`s something you might be able to do. If you are new to this game and have not worn before, I can fully understand how daunting it seems --that`s because we are all so sensitive about how our hair [or lack of :-) ] looks to others, and our biggest fear is that we`ll go to a stylist who hasn`t a clue of how to style our `new`hair and we`ll end up looking like a scarecrow !! The salons in general know this, and tell you they are experts at the whole game --that may very well be true, but you`ll certainly have to pay for their expertise. I don`t know about anyone else on here, but I simply cannot afford those salon prices, and i`m so glad to have found this site -- I would suggest maybe getting a stock -unit first, and once you secure / find a stylist willing to style it for you, see how you feel about the end result, and if pleased, you can do a template and order a custom unit made to fit your exact head. I just told the `prospective` stylist that she need not worry if she made a total mess of it as it was a very reasonable cost unit --it allowed her to have a more relaxed attitude which I think helped to sway her to agree to do the cut -in for me. I honestly feel that any half- decent stylist who has a little bit of a ``sense of adventure`` would give it a go as long as they know you`re not going to sue them !! Honestly, go out and literally ``knock on doors`` --if you don`t ask, you won`t receive ! You may [probably ]will get refusals, but if they want to turn away business that`s their choice, but all you need is one to agree. ! Hope that`s some food ofr thought anyway --very best wishes and do keep us posted on whatever you decide /happens -- Paul.