Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My quest for a partial hairpiece
07-25-2011, 09:03 PM,
RE: My quest for a partial hairpiece
Alcohols have a drying/negative effect on system hair...prolonged use is best avoided.... get yourself some system-friendly ones....having said that I have often in the past used Lòreal `Invisfix` gels and found them quite good and didn`t cause any negative impact on the system hair..... http://www.pharmacyathand.co.uk/gbu0-pro...x-Gel.html just Googled`it so you can see it... it`s available widely. For the small amount of alcohol [if any] in such a product it shouldn`t cause a major issue. Just to clarify on the showering......what I meant was you can shampoo your growing hair as normal while avoiding the system...it`s fine to wet your system in the while it`s attached...but no need to shampoo it frequently as it won`t have oils etc on it like growing hair.....you can simply `fluff`it up/ style it after your shower as normal.....when you DO need.want to shampoo it, my own preference is to do it in a sink whilst detached.... I just like to `see`what I`m doing...I like to simply let it soak in the water/shampoo and rinse it off under running water through the base onto/down the hairs i.e. base-side up... then apply conditioner and allow it sit for at least 10 mins. before again rinsing, and blotting it dry on a towel...You may find that doing that in a shower can sometimes lead to a bit of tangling which is obviously not great...that`s been my experience anyway .....it`s fine to get your system wet but keep `normal`shampoos off of it...cheers, Paul.
07-26-2011, 08:17 AM,
this was my first day of wearing. Wen't to a mall first, was pretty scared there at first, all kinds of thoughts about the piece falling off, everybody noticing etc. (I guess that's normal).

Good thing was that after the beginning, I was pretty confident with the partial, saw my family and couple of friends, and didn't think anyone did notice anything odd. I wear a pretty messy hairstyle, so that makes it easier to blend the piece in.

Bad news is that I think I messed up the attachment some how. The lace is lifting a little bit from both sides. I tried to do a touch up and added some Ghostbond glue, let's see if that'll help. However, I'm not very happy about this...I would really need to have the bonding to last a little longer than 24 hours, because I can't reattach every evening.

One question about the lifting - I'm going off to a small trip tomorrow. I might not be able to do even touch up's for a couple of days...Could that result in the piece falling off, or something as horrific? The lifting itself is visually not that big problem, as I don't expose my hairline.

Not the best way to start wearing, as I have to travel a lot for the next two weeks...I would really need to solve the bonding issue soon.
07-26-2011, 08:54 AM,
no way will it "fall off, your thinking of 70's wiggs,if its bonded correctly it will stay in place, even if the bond behind the hairline is less than perfect
its more than enough to hold it in place, you’ll crack the hairline, in a few bonds, good think about lace it’s pretty forgiving,
it looks like skin,or flaky skin when it lifts slightly, to the untrained eye,
just follow the bonding tips, search bonding, glue,
make sure your scalp is as dry as a desert, make sure the lace is a clean as you can get it, doesn’t have to be 100%,no one gets there system 100% clean. Make sure the lace is dry as a desert, totally dry, I can’t emphasis dry.thats a golden word.
Leave the glue on for at least 10 mins,assisting with a hairdryer on warm,cool,to speed up drying.
Wash your hands prior to applying glue, (you don’t want oils from your fingers mixing with the glue. Affecting the bond.

***the hairline, if in doubt that you’re scalp at the hairline is oily even after using alcohol, don’t take a chance.
Put a drop of shampoo onto the scalp only , lather, rinse ,dry.
That usually gets rid of any oil, reapply more alcohol , you shouldn’t need to, but as I keep harping on, dry surfaces.
The correct drying time, and you should get a rock solid bond you’ll be proud of that could last 3-4 days./*

*bonding time is dependent on, individual body chemistry, oiliness of skinn,sweat release, time of year. Climate.
Glue,glue app;lication,glue storage.
And possibly weight,(if your overweight you’re gonna sweat more in the summer)
07-26-2011, 09:51 AM,
Just take your glue and clean -up items with you..... it won`t just `fall off`...even when glues eventually begin to break down after a prolonged wear, they tend to go gooey and make clean -up a lot more time -consuming..... some guys seem to have some `lifting`issues when getting used to their early bonds..... just follow Anty`s tips as far as possible and maybe apply an extra layer of glue ` for good luck` ---always ensuring proper drying time between coats.... it can be irritating when some of the edge lifts, but you`ll get it right in time.... you might want to experiment with an alternative glue and see how it goes.... Ultrahold is about the same strength as Ghostbond..... it can be a bit of trial and error to find one which `agrees` best with you and your body-chemistry...good luck ! .. Paul.
07-26-2011, 09:27 PM,
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll pack the stuff with me and hope that the glue will stick, so I won't ran into any unnecessary embarrassment within the first days of wearing Smile

Been reading a lot of forums lately and thinking about wearing. On one hand, I already feel that the pieces can look very natural and and that this could really be a lifesaving thing. On the hand, I'm very worried about the anxiety this brings, and the routines that are needed to maintain this "cover".

But basically I just can't wear my own hair with concealers any more (it simply looks very S***ty), so I only have two options:

1) going on with this initial partial piece, and if everything goes well, the transition would be quite smooth and in the near future I could order a larger piece (which would allow me to shave more of the thinning area off and make the hair look more natural and healthy).

2) Cut my hair very short, and deal with the hairloss. I'm not comfortable with this option at all, I'm one of those guys who don't look good with everything exposed, and just need the "frame" that hair can provide. Of course, this option would allow me to start wearing later, but then I certainly wouldn't have smooth transition to wearing.

I decided to go with option one, I'm keeping your encouraging comments on mind. I know this is a lot of work, trial and error...just hope I won't get busted in the early days, because that would be very bad for me mentally.

One more thing, I got to give advice to the people who still have a decent amount of hair left, but are suffering from recession/thinning and are thinking of trying wearing: (and I have seen some here asking similar questions) Try it while you still have your own hair left. This makes the transition much easier, when you can still rely on your own hair in case of problems. I made the mistake and waited for too long with this, even though I was considering this option already couple of years ago.

I will be posting more newbie questions as I go on with this route...
07-27-2011, 01:36 AM,
I`m sure you`ll be fine .. early days can be a worry .....you`ll soon get the hang of it...regards, Paul.
07-27-2011, 05:25 AM,
it takes a lot of soul searching to wear, and the people who do I suppose are testimony to how important hair is to them.
you don’t do it on a whim.
once you know whats what, results are way way way better than concealer,no comparison,
medications, you’d be better of saving all the pills up and sticking emm on yahh head , problem solved!!!!(*lol),transplants, hmmm,rejection, infection, reputable clinic, follow up ect.expensive
bottom line is wearing,does make you feel like you’ve turned back the clock,extatic,
to be honest you don’t know you are after a while you can’t feel the bond,
yeah you ramble when your passionate about a topic, and I am about wearing.

You know what, I reckon if anyone knew I wore it would start a positive debate along the lines of,I wouldn’t have guessed, aren’t they good,
And yes I’m sure it would be more positive ,I reckon folk would be tipped off the fence into thinking bloody hell if there that darn good I think I’ll look into it.

But as long as you’ve got old guys wearing carpets on their heads,the perception is well , a misconception

Any 
08-01-2011, 02:46 AM,
Okay, been wearing now for 7 days with the same bonding (although I added some glue in the first day after panicking a bit). Just deattached, removed glue from the lace and washed the hair with sulfate-free shampoo.

Have to say that I was happy with the strength of the Ghostbond glue. It stayed on for the whole week, and it was actually hard to get the piece off even after applying lace release (had to spray more to get it off). It also takes some work and adhesive remover to get the glue out of the scalp, but it's doable.

During the week I did some swimming, gym, sunbathing etc., and the attachment held very well. I washed my own existing hair a couple of times, but didn't shampoo the partial when it was on. During the week I was kind of worried about the attachment and didn't put the piece to a "full test" (etc. when swimming, I didn't wan't to wet my hair). But I guess this'll change when I'll completely start to trust that the attachment will hold and I won't get busted.

I have ordered a backup unit, but it will take at least a week more before I get that. Hopefully everything goes well, and after I receive the backup I should be able to ease up a bit.

Now waiting for the piece to dry, so I can try to make my first reattachment after a wash...

One question to partial wearers: How long have you been able to use your system? I understood that a full cap should last for 6 months or even more, but is the same possible with a small partial?
08-01-2011, 07:00 AM,
my partial, or topper has lasted 10 months so far, im hoping to say a peice lasts me a year,?
2 months to go.(oct 14 2010)
still megga shinny when washed, conditioned.
although the origional grey colour has faded due to summer months, uv, sun,
just be gentle when styling it.wash 3 weekly, as i do

still a happy wearer though
anty Smile
08-04-2011, 01:53 PM,
Hi Zandberg,

I am currently a partial wearer, wearing the exact style of partial you are showing in your picture. It's a front hairline partial to make your hairline look more fuller and to bring it a few centimeters forward.

I have uploaded pics on this site before and I'll re-upload some again for you. It is so much easier than you think. So much easier and cost effective than consistantly buying hair concealers such as nanogen.

A being a man and having so much hair being the small partial you will wear. Noone will ever notice. My mum doesn't even know about mines, neither my friends or my band. I do security at music festivals, I play live and have now wore for over 2 months noone has ever battered an eyelid, and trust me friends definitely would.

I currently ordered a stock piece and cut out a piece from it myself, I have plenty of back up from the stock piece to last me the next year so I suggest look into that option its so much easier than you think. Also I use walker no shine tape which I bought from ebay for £3.49 probably around $5 or 4 euro.

If you want to speak to me about anything. I'll send you some pics and advice etc.

Good luck in your decision

Leondon