Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My quest for a partial hairpiece
02-08-2011, 03:31 AM,
RE: My quest for a partial hairpiece
Thank you all, I corrected the template and made my order last week, now waiting for the actual piece. Any suggestions for the attachment and removal of the piece? I think I'll need to order some glue and tape, but is there anything else I would need? Again, a newbie question Smile, but if some of you partial wearers can give advice, I would really appreciate it.

Can't wait to get the piece, however I realize that I might not get this correct the first time, but at least I'll get more familiar with the piece, and how it will look etc. Just wish I had done this a year ago, when I had more hair in the front and the transition would have been smoother. Back then I was able style my existing hair with concealers, so there would have been more time to play around and practice with the piece. Now it feels I have less and less time to make the transition, but hopefully the first piece I ordered would work for me.
02-08-2011, 05:54 AM,
dont get me wrong concealers are wonderfull a life saver.
when you have the other side of the equation, density.i used them for around 6 years,and loved emm.i now wear a partial or a topper.
and can i say,you wont regret it.
there modern and bloody fantastic.
long as you get the front hairline right,then its a case of applying glue waiting till it goes clear
this part i'd time with a pen & paper and watch, its easy to underestimate&overestimate time.
them start by placing the front of youre system where youre hairline is.was,and then laying the system down, pulling slightley to make sure theres no trapped air wrinkles.then flattening pushing down with youre hand,
and really if the piece is a template match it should fitt youre head, and thats it, style youre hair.gells great for controlling the hair,the bond should last for up to 3 weeks, but to make de bonding easier and to maintain a healthy scalp de bond every two weeks.
once the hairs on and in place dependent on youre skin, scalp, oily ect, you should have a whopping solid bond for around two weeks or longer.
you may want to do hairline touch ups in a few days or not,depends if youre exposing the front hairline.
but hel you'll enjoy having clean health shiney hair, and looking bloody great, and feelings that are the same
regards, happy wearing anty Smile
07-10-2011, 08:47 PM,
I got my piece a while ago and also ordered some ghostbond glue, lace release and adhesive remover . I guess I'm ready to try this piece on now....the color looks close enough, and the shape is correct, so I'm hoping I'm able to make this work somehow.

Before trying my first attachment, I have been trying to read this forum as much as possible for tips. Don't wanna mess this unit up, as it's the only one I have...I'm also considering ordering a backup unit (would you think it would be better to order several partials at a time, or maybe one fullcap, from which I could cut the partial pieces?)

If I understood correctly, for attachment, I should be

1) cleaning the frontal area where I'm attaching the piece (the piece is about a 2 centimeters wide boomerang-shaped strip, so it's a pretty small partial)
2) applying some glue (Ghost bond for now, and I'm also considering ordering Oil Resistant White glue, as some of you have recommended it here)
3) Waiting for 10 minutes etc. after applying the glue
4) putting the piece on place, and using a flat side of a comb etc. to put the piece in place

for removal:
using some lace release, and then adhesive remover to clean the forehead.

Did I get this correct? How long the bond should last in the first time?
07-10-2011, 10:42 PM,
Hi Zandberg09 ---that`s about it ....an easy way to `see`the area where glue should be applied is to sit your partial on and hold it in place with one hand.... use the back edge of your comb or even a pen with it`s cover in place to trace / mark the skin following the outline/shape of the front there.....just apply a bit of pressure and the skin will show a clearly-visible line ..just pop the system off and you`ll be able to see the mark for quite a while...just paint on your glue behind the line !! Use your lace -release to de-bond [allow it to penetrate for a minute or two] and most of the residue will be on your skin [ use your glue melter fluid on that] Apply some glue melter fluid to a bit of clean cotton cloth and dab it onto any residue on your lace...then use the mirror/glass slide to remove it fully or you can rub it off with some bubble-wrap [the material used in padded mail-envelopes]..... give it a rinse off with water....I`m not a fan of frequent shampooing of hair unless it`s actually `dirty`or has become a bit lifeless looking due to product build-up but I have often just applied some shampoo to the [damp] lace just to remove sweat-residue etc. from the lace itself ...... it`s fine to wet the hair but I personally am not a fan of daily or every 3/4 days shampooing.....it shortens the life of the hair and unless you work in a very dusty environment there`s no point.....I much prefer to mist it with water and use a daily dose of leave-in conditioner...... I got 10 months out of my last topper by taking care of it. Best wishes with your first bond...just take your time and apply about 3 layers of glue making sure to leave it go almost dry/very tacky before applying each layer...a hair -dryer can help speed it up....duration of bond varies from person to person.. so many factors affect it like your local climate, humidity, your own body make-up, sweat etc......it`s not an exact science....some people have to try different glues etc. before they find one they can `get on`with...let us know how you get on...Paul.
p.s....if you want to ensure your skin is totally clean/oil-free before you start, just give it a wipe over with a bit of glue-melter ----it`s basically alcohol --just make sure it`s completely dried off/evaporated before applying your glue or it will cause your glue to fail.
07-22-2011, 10:45 AM,
I Just tried my first attachment with the partial piece. I used Ghostbond glue for attachment, and Lace Release and PURE for removal.

some good things:
-color was good match
-The partial seemed to mix up quite well with the current hair I have, and I liked the way it seemed to bring so much volume to the overall hair (although the piece itself is only about 2cm wide)
-the glue seemed to give strong hold

bad ones:
-the hair density is too big and little bit too large for my receding area - the hairline comes too low. I'll need to make a new template, but I guess I'm going to try to modify this one first
-The bond seemed pretty strong, but I messed the attachment somehow, because some parts of the lace kept lifting (although not very noticeably, but I guess this shouldn't happen if I plan to use the piece for several days)
-the Ghostbond clue is pretty messy, and it takes time to get it off. Also the skin on my forehead seems to irritate quite easily - application of clue or alcohol seems to give some kind of rash, at least temporarily. But that seemed to go away after the deattachment.

All in all, mainly because of the wrong shape, I didn't try to really style my hair yet with the piece, but instead de-attached it. I attached a pic with the partial on, but there isn't much of a hairstyle in that pic.

Some questions:
-about the removal - I used lace release to get the piece off, and PURE + water to clean my skin from clue. After that I did mirror slides to clean clue from the piece. Should I do something else to the piece when deattaching, so that I don't damage it?
-I'll need to get backup units. Is it possible/reasonable to get one fullcap with the same color, and try to cut partials myself from that? Or should I create another template, and order new units?
07-23-2011, 09:22 PM,
I did a reply to this yesterday and posted it successfully and now I log on and it`s gone !! I think there`s a `tecchie` issue as I noticed a similar thing last week when trying to view a post by another regular-contributor......when I opened the thread after seeing that he had replied to a question, I couldn`t view it initially.....strange.....anyone else notice anything `odd`?
Ok so just a quick reply.... and again re-post this link which I had in my previous reply regarding thinning your system if you feel your density is too high: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPULkcyVD2Y Go easy initially as not all the affected hair will shed out in one go..more will come out next day or two, so just take it easy. I suggest you trim the back of the partial where it meets your growing hair so that it will sit back up a bit better off the forehead..you said it`s a bit low at the moment so you could trim, let`s say, .25 of a centimeter off so it will be 1.75 centimeters in width rather than 2 centimeters and see if that helps. For such a narrow system, it`s probably going to be faster to simply order a stock and trim it to fit...many others have successfully made 2 or 3 partials from a stock....bearing in mind that they are all medium density and Freestyle......looking at the pic there a freestyle should be ok for what you need. You may need to experiment with a different glue ...Ghostbond is strong [ and ALL glues can be `messy` if you`re not careful] but local weather/temperatures can affect drying/curing time and your own body-chemistry plays a part too......apply about 3 layers, thinly/evenly and you can speed up the drying time[between each layer] with a hairdryer aimed at the glue......you may need to give the base a light shampooing initially to remove any possible factory-residues such as silicone which might prevent a 100% `hold` between glue/lace. Hope that helps... Paul.
07-24-2011, 08:00 PM,
Paul, thanks for your comments, I really appreciate your help.

I noticed a similar technical issue, I actually sent a reply myself just after my last post, but it has disappeared from the forum. So I'll copypaste it here again:

I cut the piece little smaller and tried another attachment - looks better now. I think I'm still going to need to modify this a bit, just hope that I won't damage/break the unit while cutting this myself...I have to say that I'm amazed how much a 1-2 centimeters of hair can make a difference. I already feel a lot more confident with myself, even though I haven't made any styling yet.

One thing that I'm worried about is shedding - there seems to be hair falling off. I used knot sealer before the first attachment (watched the video on the INFO link). I also have a habit of touching my hair a lot, so could that be or become an issue with the piece? I'm also used to using styling products to style my hair, can I use any product to style also the hair on the piece?

Also another thing I am wondering is showering - Have been searching the forum, but couldn't find the routine people wearing small partials use. Should I be able to wash the unit and my own hair at the same time during a shower? Or should the unit be removed before shower and washed separately?

Regarding the backup units, I decided to order a stock unit first and see it that could be used by cutting the partials out of that.
07-24-2011, 08:33 PM,
you can wash as you would wash youre own hair, just be very gentle with it,
i used to wash my system , partial on my head , now i wash it when i do a full debond.
i use a mild shampoo for my growing hair , scalp,and a shampoo formulated for dry damaged hair, to replenish moisture, oils, for my hair system.
you should be able to do with youre hair system what you want in terms of playing with youre hair,
long as youre not pulling it out , lol, cos it wont grow back,
enjoy , cos there fantastic
07-24-2011, 08:51 PM,
Hi Zandberg09...... It`s possible that once you trimmed the system, some hairs at the edge will then shed out but as you`ve applied knot-sealer that will prevent serious shedding...all new systems lose a little hair and will have some loose hairs interspersed with the knotted-in hairs.... there`s really not a lot of point I guess, in ordering a custom-made partial, as it`s so narrow/small anyway that it will take on the contour of the front of the head easily, so you should be able to trim a stock and get 2 or 3 partials from that. As for showering...you can leave it glued on and just avoid shampooing it---you can easily stand with your back to the shower-head, and lean your head backwards so that mainly your growing hair gets fully wet/shampooed .....no need to shampoo your partial daily as it will not be dirty/oily like your growing hair /scalp can be..... simply allowing it to get wet/damp will be fine and help you to style it ...just blot it dry with the towel..don`t rub it hard with towels etc..... I mist mine daily with water, then a few sprays of leave-in conditioner and I`m good to go..... I`d say it`s kind of tricky to trim such a narrow partial with trying to see the lace through the hair..... you shouldn`t lose any more than some `stray`hairs through shedding with a new system....touching the hair will not affect it...certainly if you have a habit of scratching/itching your head there you could certainly eventually cause hair to break off/shed..... my main `treatment` of systems is infrequent shampooing as hair is not actually really `dirty` unless you work in a dusty environment etc. but simply dampen it with water from a little atomiser bottle then a few sprays of leave-in conditioner......Debbie sells system-friendly gel and shampoos etc.....best not to use too many `ordinary`products as they can be hard on system hair......hope it all works out for you now ...you`ve made the leap so it will get easier from here on in...... Paul.
p.s..... meant to say that once knot-sealer has been applied, no thinning -out of density will be possible using `Nair`or similar hair -removal products as it will not be able to penetrate the layer of knot-sealer..... any such thinning should be done before sealing knots.
07-25-2011, 10:45 AM,
Thanks again for the advice.

I just attached the piece, and now I'm wondering the styling part. I ordered some styling products from Debbie, but in the meantime I would need to style my hair with something.

If I use a gel/glue for styling that contains alcohol, does that affect the frequency how often the system should be washed etc.? Or can I use styling products on the system, leave them on and wash the system only when deattaching (2 times a week or once a week etc.)?

Regarding the showering I asked before - I just did it the way Paul suggested, washing only my own hair while in the shower. Would it be possible to wash also the hair on the piece while it is glued on? Or does that affect the bonding etc.

Still struggling with the routines...