Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My quest for a partial hairpiece
11-04-2010, 10:08 AM,
RE: My quest for a partial hairpiece
Hello Zandberg09. Your specifications would seem fine to me ... I think you`re worrying unduly... when we talk of making templates, it normally is with a view to covering a fairly large area of the head and ---- importantly, to take on the shape and contour of a person`s head. In the case of a small partial, you really don`t have to worry about making it to the `curve`of the head as such... it`s such a small area that all you have to be concerned with is the actual area / size of your partial...... if you can imagine a person making a `full` template .... they have to use polythene wrap in large strips and covering the scalp, and tied under the chin to help hold it in place while the person marks the area with a marker.....then covering it with strips of sticky tape to give it rigidity, and finally trimming it to the final shape with scissors. It can take some time and effort.....in the case of a partial like you want, all you really need to convey to the factory is the area of the partial...the contour of the head is of little importance as the thing is so small .. which is why I think a piece of light cardboard, placed over the thinning area and trimmed to shape, then maybe wrapped with a few pieces of film / sellotape [just to give it a little ``body`` ] will do fine to convey the size you want... as to bonding....again, it`s such a small area it will be a singe to just use a few layers of glue and/ or tape ..you might like to tape the back part, and leave a few millimetres at the front for glue so any part of the hairline which might be exposed to view will not be noticeable ........I think most wearers in general like to do the very very front bit with a good glue, while using tape just behind that. Just give my suggestion a try and see how it goes....... just `mess` around with a piece of cardboard and see how you get on. Paul.
11-05-2010, 06:47 AM,
i used to wear a partial like that when I first started wearing, It works good as long as you have decent hair behind it. I had crappy hair behind it but used concealers like dermmatch and pro thick and it still worked out for me till I lost too muich hair for it to look good. I think dealing with a partial can be very easy and you still have so many style options you can practically do anything.
11-05-2010, 08:02 AM,
good one xeon i wear a partial,three weeks today.
my bonds loose at the crown, but because its well cut in salon,it holds, more so as i use wet look gell,
getting a new skin system next week,
going for a cutt in,i do pretty good touch up bonding at the front,even if i say so myself.
bought white glue from e bay. its a better bond than the salons very tight bond.
great not to have to worry bout bad hair days, wash days anymore.
i just have to remember to blott dry with a towel after shampooing,(med heat hairdryer never hot or max)max twice a month.
leave in spray conditioner every few re styles.
just cant wait to get over doing a full mirror slide, and clean up and bond, then i'll be on the road to feeling i dont need the salon as much except for a cut in when i buy future systems
still enjoying the experiance.
11-05-2010, 10:18 PM,
(11-05-2010, 06:47 AM)Xeon005 Wrote: i used to wear a partial like that when I first started wearing, It works good as long as you have decent hair behind it. I had crappy hair behind it but used concealers like dermmatch and pro thick and it still worked out for me till I lost too muich hair for it to look good. I think dealing with a partial can be very easy and you still have so many style options you can practically do anything.

Thats encouraging. At the moment (and hopefully for a while, fingers crossed!!) my hair other than the recession is healthy and dense, just hope it stays like that.
Im pretty active, i race motorsport and also ride bmx and mountain bikes for fun sometimes, does wearing helmets and hats and stuff affect a hairpiece at all?

Zandberg09, I actually had help from a local salon where i live, the lady there is very nice and was good enough to help me make a template, basically she pulled some plastic wrap over the front half of my head, pulled it very tight and drew the hairline i wanted, and which was straight across at the front then up to where my recession is then went straight across from the top, so it was like a rectangle strip, not very big. then put some layers of tape over it. But i have modified it so it looks similar to the red outline you have drawn on your picture. As i still have an "island" of hair in between the recession, i wanted to keep more of that hair as it is thick still. im not keeping it all as then i would have to do 2 small partials and that to me would be just to much work, id rather just one piece. So if you can, see if someone can help you out, kind of need another pair of hands to make it a bit easier. hope i helped a bit mate, also what country are you from? If you get a partial like me it would be good to chat about it as we will both be wearing a similar piece and will both be newbies!
01-17-2011, 02:47 AM,
Thanks guys!

I think I'm ready to place my order now. I made the template out of a cereal box, I'm posting the pic here before I send it just to make sure I got it right...I have to admit that I'm a complete newbie and not very skilled with this stuff!

Here's what I'm aiming for:

template: send one via mail
color: dark brown - I'm sending a hair sample
style: freestyle
density: 75-80%
Curl and Wave: body wave
length: 2"-3"

The look I'm aiming for is something similar that the guy in the front page of this website has (sorry, couldn't remember you name Smile). I would like to be able to lift the hair up in the front, just like in that picture. My hair is currently about the same length, and I still have thick hair in the back. The frontal area is my real problem, there's no way to achieve that look anymore, even with any concealer product.

Hopefully this is possible...I guess the right address to send the template and hair sample is this one?:
TOPLACE USA
PO BOX 5
CIRCLE PINES, MN 55014
USA

Attached Files Image(s)

01-17-2011, 04:20 AM,
I don`t quite `get`the shape there so please excuse my ignorance..I`ve never worn a partial but in my mind I imagine it to be more shaped like a boomerang? Surely the straight edge on that template is not the front ? Otherwise you`ll have a straight-line across your hairline? I just would have assumed the kind of normal/usual shape for a front partial would be kind of curved from temple-to-temple to sit in front of your remaining hair ? The address you have is correct.Do you mean the picture of ``Mr Burns`` at the top of the page [new pics? ] If so, the front of the system there is kind of spikey to me ? It`s kind of `swept up`..... sorry to be asking so many questions and I`m sure you put a lot of effort into making it... I`m just a bit puzzled... thanks .. Paul.
01-17-2011, 04:57 AM,
Zandberg09 where do you live? Can you go somewhere to get help with your template? Its important to get it right first time, as it will save you time later.

Its important to mark the direction of the hair on the sides. To going down and back.

Also can you post a pic of your current hair loss? Blur your face out, use something like paint to blur your face. I can then give you better advice.
01-17-2011, 08:35 PM,
(01-17-2011, 04:20 AM)Paul In Ireland Wrote: I don`t quite `get`the shape there so please excuse my ignorance..I`ve never worn a partial but in my mind I imagine it to be more shaped like a boomerang? Surely the straight edge on that template is not the front ? Otherwise you`ll have a straight-line across your hairline? I just would have assumed the kind of normal/usual shape for a front partial would be kind of curved from temple-to-temple to sit in front of your remaining hair ? The address you have is correct.Do you mean the picture of ``Mr Burns`` at the top of the page [new pics? ] If so, the front of the system there is kind of spikey to me ? It`s kind of `swept up`..... sorry to be asking so many questions and I`m sure you put a lot of effort into making it... I`m just a bit puzzled... thanks .. Paul.

Paul, thanks for the answer...You're probably right, the shape should be more curved. The straight edge is the front. There's actually not that much effort there, that's my first draft for a template Smile .. My hairloss is is depicted in the first page of this thread, there I have also drawn the area which I'm looking to fill in. I think the template I made is similar to that, and when I try that on in the front area of my hair, I think fits quite good and gives the kind of hairline that I would like. But I'll try to make are more curved one and see if there's a difference.

Regarding style, Mr. Burns is the guy I was referring to...so I would like a slighly spiked up look in the front. But I would also like the possibility to style the frontal area somehow slightly different if possible.
(01-17-2011, 04:57 AM)Henry Wrote: Zandberg09 where do you live? Can you go somewhere to get help with your template? Its important to get it right first time, as it will save you time later.

Its important to mark the direction of the hair on the sides. To going down and back.

Also can you post a pic of your current hair loss? Blur your face out, use something like paint to blur your face. I can then give you better advice.

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

The pic of my current hairloss is in the beginning of this thread. Not very good one, but I think that from that pic it can be seen what I'm looking for.

What do you mean by hair direction? should I draw arrows on the "temple parts" in the sides of the template?
01-18-2011, 01:30 AM,
Ahh sorry I missed the pic!

Looking at the pic now, you wouldn't need to put arrows, freestyle will be enough. But make sure you write which is the front and back!

Print off your pic and send it with the order. It will help the wig makers visualise whats going on.
01-18-2011, 02:00 AM,
Yeah I did too, as it`s an older post so I just normally go to the last/current page on such posts.... Zandberg09..have a look [in case you missed it] at the post on page 3 titled ``Just a frontal partial unit`` posted by Toplace [John] a while back ..it shows a shape like what I was saying ....I still think you need a curve on the front bit there as shown in the pic....let me know what your opinion is ..cheers, Paul.