Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help Choosing Density Of First Piece? (Pics)
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM,
Need Help Choosing Density Of First Piece? (Pics)
Hey guys, I am going to order my first system online in the next couple of weeks, I currently have a 2 year old AHS piece and it looks crap compared to the ones you guys wear, and its about 10x more expensive.

Any way before I send in a template and make my order I would like some help from you guys.

Can you recommend a density, based on my photos?

Do you think I should go with temple flaps?, as I'm only 28

By the way I am not a newbie at this as I have been wearing for 7 years and I have done my own maintenance for about a year. I have never had to order my own units so don't no much about density etc,and could do with some feedback.

Any help appreciated.

http://img180.imageshack.us/g/img00034201005171601.jpg/
05-18-2010, 07:59 PM,
RE: Need Help Choosing Density Of First Piece? (Pics)
Hi Baldy, Had a look at pics --they`re a little bit small so it`s a little hard to see --you appear to have good density on your right side, yet your left looks thinner to me. I wouldn`t go with a density higher than about 50 - 60%, and even that might be a little on the high side --- John will probably give you the best answer as he`s used to looking at different people`s pics daily. Your temple looks receded back at ``an angle `` so you could probably do with small/short flaps at the temple just to blend down onto what hair is there in front of your ears, and it would look quite good -- your back density is quite good from what I can see ---- I know the Toplace densities are a bit different to other producers, but looking at your left side, your hair is about the same as my own and I ordered 65% temples. I have just rooted out notes I took from the Forum before I ordered, in relation to densities:
Toplace 40% = 50% ``Other`` providers, 45% T.L. =60 % ``Other``,
T.L. 50% = 65% ``Other``, T.L. 55%= 70% ``Other`` and T.L. 60%= 80% ``Others`` ---- that will give you an idea, if you know the density of your AHS system, of how the densities compare ---- I hope that`s of interest to you --- best wishes for the future ``New you`` !! Paul.
05-18-2010, 08:33 PM,
Bit off topic, but just out of interest, how come the AHS pieces last so long? Obviously they don't look as good and are a rip off, but why do they seem to last longer?
05-18-2010, 10:08 PM,
In my [expensive] experience, the reason mine `lasted` was it was an all -polyurethane base, and when it began to really shed hair, you went back to the salon for re-venting and paid up to 200 Dollars for it ----the thing lost the hair again within 3 weeks. At the time, I was totally ignorant of how the things were manufactured, but at this stage, I now realise that in a ploy base, the hair is injected by machine, so there is no way a person in a salon could manually stitch hair back into place and expect it to stay there ---- they were my first and expensive venture into the hair -wearing world --- what a disaster !
Long -live Toplace!
05-19-2010, 12:20 AM,
Hey Paul thanks for the feedback, If you click on the image it enlarges it a bit, I no its not great though, as for density do you really think as low as 50%? I was thinking 60%/65% but I guess thats why I posted to get some feedback from you guys.

I would be interested to see what John thought before I make any decisions. As far as temple points go I think I am going to go with them, as you said paul my temple area is thinned pretty bad especially my left side, but hay what do I expect I started loosing hair at about 18, now that was bad especially when my dad and brother have full heads of hair and they are 49 and 25 oh well, thanks to places like toplace all is not lostSad
05-19-2010, 03:47 AM,
Yeah it`s soul -destroying to lose hair so young. A salon I used to use in Ireland, the lady who owned it was telling me she`d have teenagers coming in practically suicidal over it. Some people can look really good with no hair/shaved heads but I think only about 10% of guys can pull that off --they have a good `shape` to the head and facial features which it suits but for other mortals ---wearing is the only answer ! I`m sure John will post a reply when he reads this post -- you`d be surprised how effective the coverage is even with the lower densities --- I think everyone is worried they won`t order enough to give proper cover but if you go too dense, you`ll only draw attention to it --- what I did was order a little denser for the perimeter, and less for the crown and front hairline --that way, the stylist was able to thin it with a thinning scissors to match in with my sides --- it just allowed a bit to ``play`` with, but I wouldn`t order anything more than 65% really as it would be too dense altogether --- also, when the system arrives, [mine was ``slight wave``] the hair is very long and in tight ringlets --- you`d think `` oh my god `` but it`s fine !! Just mist the hair with water and gently brush through it with a soft brush with rounded-tip teeth/bristles, a few times a day, and if possible, sit the unit on something round [like a small ball or better again, try obtaining a polystyrene head or even ask a large store if you can have an old mannequin head] Do that for 2 or 3 days and soon it begins to look like a proper head of hair --that`s when you can go to the stylist and it`s easier for him/her to work with -- I find it best to allow some of the bounce / liveliness out of the system before styling it. Best of luck anyway -- keep us posted !!
05-20-2010, 07:47 AM,
(05-19-2010, 12:20 AM)Baldy82 Wrote: Hey Paul thanks for the feedback, If you click on the image it enlarges it a bit, I no its not great though, as for density do you really think as low as 50%? I was thinking 60%/65% but I guess thats why I posted to get some feedback from you guys.

I would be interested to see what John thought before I make any decisions. As far as temple points go I think I am going to go with them, as you said paul my temple area is thinned pretty bad especially my left side, but hay what do I expect I started loosing hair at about 18, now that was bad especially when my dad and brother have full heads of hair and they are 49 and 25 oh well, thanks to places like toplace all is not lostSad

You won't be happy with any density less than 65%. My hair is similar to yours and I had 65% but tried lowering it to 60%. It was very realistic looking as it looks like your hair is thinning but very hard to get any definate style from it. The biggest issue you may have with 65% is blending. I did 65% on top and 60% on the sides/back and it works very well. Also, if your hair is pretty straight you're better off with straight hair rather than bodywave. Straight blends easier and minimizes the initial poofiness.
05-20-2010, 07:33 PM,
It`s a bit hard to see the pics [as I said] --even though I clicked on them, they weren`t much bigger, but as Dave777 just said, somewhere between 60 -65% should be ok for you and if your hair is very straight, just order straight hair as he advised --it`s less ``bouncy/lively`` when it arrives [mine was slight wave, hence the need to leave it `relax` for a few days before styling]
Why not e mail a pic to john and get his opinion ? I found him very helpful and patient whenever I contacted him directly. [email protected] . From what I can see, the back of your head has a fairly high density compared to you sides, so the trick would be to get less density at the back [ maybe 50% ? ] and a bit higher [ but not twice as much ! ] on the side sections --- have a look at the downloadable order form on the home page,the head is divided into different sections so you can mark in the densities for the different areas, and you can send in a copy with your template. I would ask John for his professional opinion --best wishes--Paul.