Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions from a newbie. Thanks for any feedback!
04-24-2010, 04:15 PM,
Questions from a newbie. Thanks for any feedback!
Hello,

I just have a couple questions. I just started wearing a little over a month ago.

My piece is thick because it is a stock piece and it seems a little difficult to fix. What products work well with keeping hair in place? I have a shorter style and it is really poufy and doesn't seem to settle well for a few days.

Also, what glue lasts a good two weeks without hours of cleanup? I use basebond right now and get a good 12 days out if it but I don't think it is very sweat or water proof. Any suggestions?

Thank you all for any help! Smile
04-25-2010, 08:24 AM,
RE: Questions from a newbie. Thanks for any feedback!
I've always found new pieces are poofy until a few shampoos. After that, you wonder how they got so flat.

Products are very subjective. Just a suggestion, try Aussie styling mousse/leave-in conditioner, mild hold.

The only glue I like is Got2BeGlued, which is not even HP glue, but a styling glue/gel. It washes out with water and shampoo, but it's for short term bonds, and no water sports, as it is water soluble. The amount of clean up is directly proportional to the length of the bond, i.e., the shorter the time, the less clean-up; the longer, more clean up. If your unit is all lace, clean up will be more than a unit with poly sides and back. It's all about perfecting your own techniques and finding a balance. Glues and tape usually are water resistant to varying degrees. Trial and error, cyoung234, experimentation, and researching this forum.

Welcome to the world of wearing.
04-25-2010, 11:50 AM,
Thank you for the information, mcnash! I will try the mousse. So how do you apply the Got2Be? Is it strong and does the lace still look pretty undetectable like it does with glue? Thank you again for your suggestions!
(04-25-2010, 08:24 AM)mcnash Wrote: I've always found new pieces are poofy until a few shampoos. After that, you wonder how they got so flat.

Products are very subjective. Just a suggestion, try Aussie styling mousse/leave-in conditioner, mild hold.

The only glue I like is Got2BeGlued, which is not even HP glue, but a styling glue/gel. It washes out with water and shampoo, but it's for short term bonds, and no water sports, as it is water soluble. The amount of clean up is directly proportional to the length of the bond, i.e., the shorter the time, the less clean-up; the longer, more clean up. If your unit is all lace, clean up will be more than a unit with poly sides and back. It's all about perfecting your own techniques and finding a balance. Glues and tape usually are water resistant to varying degrees. Trial and error, cyoung234, experimentation, and researching this forum.

Welcome to the world of wearing.
04-25-2010, 11:00 PM,
G2BG does not apply like regular glue. You apply it to your bare, dry scalp thicker than glue, thick enough for it to seep a bit through the lace but not too thick to make a wad in your hair later. And you don't let it dry; apply the lace while it is still tacky. What I do is I apply it in a thick perimeter; others apply it over their whole scalp. I position my unit while it is tacky, and press it in with a towel - others use a comb or brush to prevent too much seepage into the lace. After that, you can blow dry COOL or let it air dry for a few minutes before styling. It is so easy. To detach and clean, while showering let water soak it for a few minutes and remove. You can feel it let go with a good soaking. I will sometimes apply shampoo to the unit while I'm detaching ; the shampoo helps break down the G2BG quicker. Anyway, once you get it off, rinse the remains off from the lace side. After showering, I wrap it in a towel while I prepare my scalp. I usually dry the lace only with a COOL blow dry, and then position the unit. If you make a mistake in positioning, and you have the time, detach, clean, and reattach. This AM I showered, did a detach/reattach, shampoo, Back2Natural treatment, and styled in 25 minutes. I do have some lift in the front after about 2 days, but I do a touch up. I usually go 3-4 days before detach. Some people can go longer, depending on their activities. Some use it as a daily attachment. Three-four days is fine for me.

G2BG attachments are NOT to everyone's taste. Since it is water soluble, swimming and water sports are out. Light rain is okay, and you can spritz your hair with water for styling. It may not give the security of a tape or glue, but I have come to like it. And I used to bond for 4-6 weeks, changing the front tape weekly. When it dries, it is HARD and is more secure than you think. It takes a pretty good soaking to release. AND NO RESIDUE. No mirror slide, no solvent soak, no chemicals. Just water.

Leamon's post about G2BG was what got me to try it, and if you search, he has a more thorough thread about it. Mr. New York has an earlier post about stress testing G2BG with workouts and heavy sweating. Leamon's thread also has a photo of the product.

If you try it, be sure you apply it thick enough to work. Too thin, or letting it dry first won't work. If it's not to your liking , that's fine, too. It's another option for wearing.
04-28-2010, 01:03 PM,
Another good thing about G2BG is that it's an excellent way for newbies to get into the game. If they screw up an attachment it's no big deal to re-do with G2BG. It's easy to use and gives the newbie the opportunity to experiment with attachments until they get the hang of it.
04-28-2010, 02:01 PM,
Nice info, this might make my sticky!
05-03-2010, 01:46 AM,
Any newbies should try this.
05-03-2010, 06:19 AM,
If you don't have experience with tapes and glues, I HIGHLY recommend G2BG (like John mentioned). If you mess up, you just rinse your head in water and the piece will come off easily. With tapes and glues, if you mess up, the task of clean up and fixing the fix can be very DISCOURAGING.

Also, try using Paul Mitchell's Wax Works for styling. It brings out a natural shine to hair. You could get a generic version at Sally's for a much cheaper price Leamon

PS. McNash, I'm always very happy to see you sharing your positive experience with G2BG!
05-06-2010, 02:33 PM,
Thank you to everyone for your help! Smile
05-08-2010, 01:11 PM,
Cyoung,
There's always a trade-off between a long lasting glue and one that's an easy clean-up. Base Bond and I Glue are both good acrylic glues that are mediums strength. Clean-up is easy. Ultra Hold is at the strong end of the glues and it gives an excellent hold. It's great for swimming and you'll get a good 3 week hold from it. Clean-up is not as easy as the acrylic glues but it's still not difficult to remove.
Regards,
John