Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to toplace and need your advice
10-03-2009, 03:30 AM,
New to toplace and need your advice
Hi All,

I've been monitoring this forum for a while and have now decided to give toplace a try. I've been wearing for 23 years, since I was 22, and have always used a local hair place. Here's my dilema... I've been with the same person now for probably 15 years. She does a great job but now my eyes are opening to what the costs really should be. I currently pretty much only go in when I order a new system and get it cut in as I've gotten pretty good at keeping my own hair cut. I currently pay about $800 for a new piece (which what I believe to be a stock french lace with poly sides). I'm trying to figure out about a cut-in... I don't know that I feel comfortable ordering a unit myself and asking her to cut it in. I know business is bad for her right now due to the economy...

How hard is to cut it in myself? Or how much success do you guys have by getting Debbie to cut in via mail and having it work? I currently have fairly thin sides, receded temples (my units has slight flaps to help make up for this), and am getting grayer by the minute Big Grin

In terms of ordering, I know my color is 1B. I normally get 20% gray. And it's medium density. Density is my concern... what is medium density and how does it compare? I feel it's too thick anyways, specially when new. So I need to get some recommendations on density (as measured by toplace). I've recently switched to a somewhat short, combed forward style - mainly because I was not comfortable with my hairline. The stock units always had to be shaped in the front and I think that made the hairline harsh. I also attach for 14 days at a time using a combination of red liner, blue tape, and some silver backed lace front tape that I have no idea what it is.

Thanks for listening...I know this is long. I'm ready to order but need to figure out what. Density, type of lace, poly or no poly sides, etc... Really impressed with many of the pictures I see here and want to achieve the same.

Thanks,
NCC
10-03-2009, 04:30 AM,
Re: New to toplace and need your advice
Maybe try a stock 65 all french from Ba. That's what most guys start with. Depends how big your bald area is though.
Make sure to order 2 at a time.
10-03-2009, 10:04 AM,
ncc Wrote:She does a great job but now my eyes are opening to what the costs really should be. I currently pretty much only go in when I order a new system and get it cut in as I've gotten pretty good at keeping my own hair cut. I currently pay about $800 for a new piece

Love reading posts like this one, Here is another fella who has wised up, Good on you mate, Heres to many more people like yourself who find out that you have been getting mugged off.

Anyway better late than never, If you want to try stock I have some if you want to go for a custom order send a old piece or template and a hair sample to John.

Need help with styles or want photos of different densitys there are some on the website and I have plenty I can E-mail to you if you want, E-mail me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Welcome to having more money in your pocket Big Grin
10-04-2009, 01:11 AM,
Thanks BA. I'm really impressed with all you have done for the hear wearing community. It is so refreshing to see a company that is out there to truly help and not take advantage of our situation.

The stock piece I get now is an 8x10 (which I think is a measure of its size in inches). The stylist has to cut it way down to fit... My front hairline is cut very recessed to better match my temples and age, so she ends up cutting way into the actual hairline designed by the person that makes the piece. Does that make the resulting hairline not as good? If so, this is why I think I need to order a custom instead of stock so that it is built with my hairline. Let me know if this is not how it works...ie, they really do use differnt hair/knots/etc... at hairline that makes it that much more natural.

I currently get about 8-9 months out of my HP. Should I consider a swiss front? Does it make it that much better for the hairline or is the loss of durability not worth it? At these prices I don't mind changing more often...although it has been tough for me every time I get a new one. It's really not the money as much as the hassle of the cut-in, training, and the variations in density/gray etc.. that causes me stress every time I change.

NCC
10-04-2009, 03:42 AM,
ncc,

Welcome. I am shaking my head wondering if you have been going to this salon lady for 15 years why she hasn't made a template of your hairline so that you don't have to cut up a stock piece each time. Of course the hairline is going to look not as good if the front is cut up. It will be less "soft" as usually the front hairline is made with smaller (thinner) hairs and little less dense. If you side hair is thin you could get a 60% density, definitely not over 65 because 65% is still quite thick. If you lady cuts hair well you might just be honest with her since money is tight for most everyone right now and tell her you've ordered a custom unit yourselfand you'd like her to help you and pay her 60$ to cut it in or whatever you think is fair. She's really done YOU no favors selling you hair for $680 to $700 PROFIT and cutting down a stock (even cheaper for her). Just my thoughts, and by the way, we all have gone through this transition phase and one time and all I can say is for me it was very liberating to be free of the high priced Hair Replacement salons. Gel
10-04-2009, 04:33 AM,
jeffsxyz Wrote:ncc,
I am shaking my head wondering if you have been going to this salon lady for 15 years why she hasn't made a template of your hairline so that you don't have to cut up a stock piece each time.

She does have a template (plus I've also made my own). It's just that she uses stock systems so the template is only used to cut it to size. Custom orders are much more (over $1k) and then take 8 weeks.. Confusedhock:

I used to pay much more and then have to deal with waiting 8 weeks to find they got it wrong (which happened quite often). When she switched to stock the price came down to about $600 (it's gone up since) and the delay was only a week.... plus they were always pretty much the same.

BTW, when the stock unit come in I still pay for the cut-in ($50)... so I pay $800 + another $50 to cut in. Originally she used to include the cut-in price, but you know, with the economy and all the prices went up Wink

NCC
10-04-2009, 05:34 AM,
sounds like a classic rip off to me. she's done you no favors.
10-04-2009, 05:53 AM,
If you are in no hurry for one I would advise sending in a template and a hair sample or old piece to John, You will then get the custom hairline shape you want and need.

Still want to go stock just E-mail me at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->