Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlights add dimension (picture)
11-30-2009, 07:26 AM,
Highlights add dimension (picture)
Sometimes customers like to add hightlights to their systems. The highlights are a medium blonde #22R. We can do highlights in both sunstreaks or blended. The sunstreaks are 'clumps' of the highlights in 3/8" circles and usually cover about 20% of the base although you can order any percentage you'd like. The other option is blended highlights where the #22R is just evenly mixed in with the rest of the hair. The highlights add dimension to the hair and also have the overall affect of lightening the overall color of the unit. It also adds another element of realism to a system as most people would not expect a hair system to have highlights. There's no charge for adding highlights for those of you that are interested in this option.
Regards,
John
12-01-2009, 03:36 PM,
Re: Highlights add dimension
I agree 1000%.

It's one of those things that doesn't cost a penny more that adds a whole new level of realism.
12-09-2009, 01:58 AM,
Re: Highlights add dimension
Gray hair serves as a 'highlight' as well, and adds, I think, more realism. Lets face it, some of the most tell tale signs of wig-ism is when a man has that Spanish-TV soap opera too dark dyed look in his hair & facial hair.
I think folks should really embrace the gray, as it's a highlight that syncs up better with most lifestyles & looks more in line with most of the social circles that the 35+ age group moves in.
That said, when people are in the 1b color range or darker, do the blonde highlights look odd? Are they ever combined with gray percentages as well?
12-09-2009, 02:53 AM,
Re: Highlights add dimension (picture)
Hi Mr. New York,
You bring up a very good point--gray is also a highlight. Regarding your question about blonde highlights with #1B: first of all #1B is the second darkest of all colors--only #1 which is jet black is darker. I advise people with #1 or #1B hair color not to order blonde highlights. The reason: it just wouldn't look natural. Hair with blonde in it says 'I've been in the sun' as sunglight oxidizes the hair and causes it to lighten up (think blonde beach boy). If a person was in the sun it would lighten up all their hair and not just certain ones. So having blonde highlights just wouldn't look natural. I've never had a #1 or #1B with blonde highlights and gray highlights combined. If I did I would advise against it for the same reason I stated before. Gray comes in randomly and especially around the temple area (Section #2) so gray highlights would look natural and add to the realism of the unit. With that said, you don't want to look like the celebrity pictured below---he sets hair wearing back to the '50s.
Regards,
John

[attachment=0]

Attached Files Image(s)

12-09-2009, 06:41 AM,
There was a girl who posted a picture of her full cap on here awhile back and she had blended highlights that were done in 3-4 different shades and it looked absolutely amazing.

I will have to disagree with Mr. New York on the over 35 comment Wink I just turned 38 and I will probably have highlights in my hair well into my 40's! Now I get a little crazy (cutting my old full caps down into mohawks and such) but even if you want to keep it more conservative you can do blended highlights instead of sunstreaks.

Grey hair can certainly add realism, but at the expense of adding age. It's kind of like the density argument. Low densities look incredibly realistic but they can also make it look like you are losing your hair.

I guess it all comes down to crafting your hair to fit not only your level of recession in your temples, density, color, etc., but also the overall look you wish to achieve. The important thing is that everything looks like it's a part of you and not something that you stuck on your head.
12-09-2009, 10:18 AM,
True, but I've seen gray hair on kids as old as 15 - a head of hair "is da sexy"! Doesn't matter what color - if it works for your complexion & you evolve the piece as your face evolves, that's the ticket.
I know for me, I went from a very low density piece, which was great, to a higher density, but still lower than most of you guys. I simply cut my sides & back shorter, so that the higher density with product in it to show a bit of scalp, looks great....I get that cop ( but not boot camp) type of look that fits my face & physique. The 20% gray fits too, when I don't keep religous on the dying of my sideburns & mustache.