Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gunk in hair after re-attachment
08-21-2008, 09:56 PM,
Gunk in hair after re-attachment
Every time I re-attach I am left with a gel like substance only in the very top of my crown. the total area covered by it is about 1 square inch, and it is over an area that is entirely french lace. This substance makes no visible difference, but acts like hairgel. If i run a comb through that area I will get comb shaped grooves. Here is my re-attachment routine.

Remove tape
Mirror slide tape clean as best as possible
fill clean sink with shampoo/water, swish unit around for 1 minute (pantene pro-v)
rinse sink and unit
fill clean sink with conditioner/water, swish unit around for 2 minutes (pantene pro-v)
rinse sink and unit
apply tape and re-attach

Everytime i wash unit while attached to my head it is fine. Here is a list of my specs:
French base with 3/4 poly
Supertape
Pantene products.

Thanks in advance!
08-21-2008, 10:05 PM,
Re: Gunk in hair after re-attachment
Hi there

it looks like the problem is that your going straight from taking tape off to washing, what you want to do is actually remove the residue left by the tape with a solvent like (de-solv-it) or (C-22) which will get rid of that gunk. You use a cotton ball and dip in solvent or spray solvent on the system where the tape was let it sit for a minute or two then wipe clean.

you would then proceed to clean the system. I also recommend using a leave in conditioner on the system even after washing (one that contains vitamin B5) this will keep it nice and lively.

good luck
08-21-2008, 10:08 PM,
Re: Gunk in hair after re-attachment
thanks for the reply.

i do actually spray 91% alcohol on the unit before trying to remove the residue. Ive often thought it was tape residue also, but its only in one concentrated spot where no tape is placed, and the entire front hairline which is covered in tape does not have the issue!