Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Cap Nape Issues SOLVED!
01-05-2010, 06:16 AM,
Full Cap Nape Issues SOLVED!
This is a copy/paste from a blog post I wrote a few days ago about how I resolved a couple of issues I was having with the nape of my full caps-

There are only a few downsides to wearing to a full cap versus a partial unit, and the nape area has been one of the areas that has caused me some problems.

I am happy to announce that the two problems I was having with the nape are now solved!

First, I want to say that I have never had any issues with bonding in the nape area of my full caps. I have used blue liner tape from day one, and even attaching the unit below my occipital bone I am able to get a week's worth of hold without much lift.

The two problems I was having with this area were:

1. A "hard" edge that could be detected by touch.
2. A slightly unnatural look, especially when the hair was wet.

The edge didn't bother me too much, as I overlap the tape slightly in this area which provides a decent transition, but the look in the back of the unit after leaving the gym was unacceptable. When the hair got wet in the back it revealed a clearly visible line where the knots begin. This would have been much less of an issue if the knots were smaller, staggered, and well-bleached, but with this particular unit I had to do something to overcome this problem so I got out the scissors and started cutting.

I decided to cut small triangle shaped chunks out of the base in the back to break up the knot pattern so instead of being able to see a straight row of large, dark knots, it is broken up by "V" shaped cuts which make it much less noticeable even when wet.

The side benefit to this is that it also made the nape become completely undetectable to touch. Since there isn't a straight edge of lace OR knots, you can run your fingers up through the hair on the neck and you can't feel a thing!

This was done on my latest creation, my "Full Cap Mohawk", but it will solve the same issues on a unit that stretches across the entire nape. Here are some pictures-

[Image: IMGP46431.JPG]

[Image: IMGP46411.JPG]
01-05-2010, 05:28 PM,
Re: Full Cap Nape Issues SOLVED!
Thanks for all your informative posts. I'm thinking about going full cap so all this stuff is GREAT to know.
01-06-2010, 07:53 AM,
I agree with the post above,and I want to thank you JRob for your hard work and creative thinking to come up with these new and innovative ideas. You have certainly convinced me and others on here that a fullcap is a very good and realistic option. I am highly considering it myself. Keep up the good work!
01-06-2010, 08:01 AM,
So where does the blue liner tape sit relative to the now-missing triangle sections? Above it, where the lace is still continuous?
01-06-2010, 10:18 AM,
Thanks everyone. I wouldn't be wearing hair today if I wasn't able to get the full cap thing to work for me. I just hope these little improvements help others who are looking to take the plunge.

RD. Wrote:So where does the blue liner tape sit relative to the now-missing triangle sections? Above it, where the lace is still continuous?

Not sure what you mean by "where is the lace still continuous"??

I photoshopped the image to show where I apply tape. The circled area is the distance below the tip of the lace that I shoot for. I run it across the back a fraction of an inch below each tip. Some of the hair gets tacked down into the adhesive but this actually improves the transition.

[Image: IMGP46411.JPG]
01-07-2010, 01:48 AM,
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!
01-09-2010, 07:18 AM,
thanks for this post. you are really taking the full cap experience to another level jrob.

keep up that great spirit buddy!

jay
01-09-2010, 10:25 PM,
Do you not find that the blue liner tape is a b***h to get out of that little bit of hair mate?
01-20-2010, 06:04 PM,
tunners Wrote:Do you not find that the blue liner tape is a b***h to get out of that little bit of hair mate?

Not at all. I don't let it break down to the point where it is a problem. Any time I do find a little tape of glue residue in the hair I simply saturate it with adhesive remover, allow it to soak for a few minutes, rub the hairs between my fingers to separate them, and use a toothbrush to comb out the gunk. I repeat this process if necessary until the hair is fairly clean. The shampoo does the rest.
01-21-2010, 03:02 AM,
Hey JRob.

I'd like to thank you for posting your experiences. I've been wearing a 3/4 for about 10 years.

I had always wondered if staggering the back of a full cap might help the material to lay down. I've also pondered the technique for the temple area.

I just ordered a toplace. But, for years I've used another company that uses a "staggering technique" for a tight hairline fit. I buy their stock units. Even though they aren't custom, their design allows the front to lay down perfectly without glue, or tape.

Here's a link to what those units look like. As I say, I've wondered about the back and the temple area benefiting from this technique. You can click on the picture and it will magnify for your viewing pleasure.

By the way, the blending of lace into poly fingers disappears very well on the head.