Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Typhoon Tests Full Cap Security
09-26-2008, 03:33 PM,
Typhoon Tests Full Cap Security
I've been in Asia for the past couple of weeks and experienced the full force of Typhoon Hugapit as it swept across Hong Kong. Massive wind gusts gave me a chance to test the security of the full cap. I've always maintained that full caps are more secure than toppers due partly to the much greater surface contact area and the fact they sort of mould themselves around your head.

The SFS/French unit was only taped down with five pieces of Walkers contour tape - one down each temple/sideburn, one across the front and two around the back. Despite 120km/hr winds it never looked like shifting or coming unstuck, though the hair itself naturally got blown around a bit. The confidence these things inspire is amazing.
09-26-2008, 04:16 PM,
Re: Typhoon Tests Full Cap Security
I'm with ya Traco.

Maybe I need to do a wind tunnel test for the full cap DVD :mrgreen:

Seriously....you do have more attachment area, but another thing that makes it more secure is the fact that if you pull UP on the unit the tape is VERTICAL on the sides giving a much stronger hold and it isn't going ANYWHERE.
09-27-2008, 05:24 AM,
Traco do you think a topper would have been blown off ? I always advise a strong attachment when going out and never do a sort of semi application, Its attached properly for me or I dont go out until it is.
09-29-2008, 03:18 PM,
i was also in asia/ Hong kong but I am really freaked out with a topper... i was holding on to my head in the wind and really scare that it will get blown away.. I had i piece walker front, 2 piece ST-30 on the sides and white/blue-tapes on the back.

i was also invited to go for roller coaster ride, like the Space Mountain in disneyland... shall I go?
09-29-2008, 05:12 PM,
I don't think you have anything to worry about with a topper either, but there is just something about a full cap that makes you feel VERY secure about your attachment. Maybe it's psychological....I dunno....but I wouldn't be afraid to wakeboarding on my buddy's boat with my full cap with a blue liner/ white glue attachment. I might wear my longer piece just because I don't want to take the chance of having a bit of lace lift at the hairline while I'm on the water, but as far as the overall integrity of the attachment, I wouldn't think twice about it.