Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best All Around Base
09-27-2008, 05:42 AM,
Best All Around Base
What base would give the best of both worlds? Looking to place the unit behind about 1 inch of frontal hair. Also very active and need something that will stay put through boating and some light swimming. Also would like 3-4 weeks of hold with minimal cleanup.
I currently wear for 4 weeks at a time and belong to a club. The stylist can get me in and out in less than an hour including haircut so I know it can get cleaned pretty easily. I think I have a double lace because I can change the front from temple to temple about 2-3 3 weeks into it by just lifting and peeling the tape of. Little or no stuff left on the lace and no hairs are removed. I then put contour Proflex tape and Proflex minitabs near the temples seems to hold ok. My hair is probably way too thick.
Looking to ditch the club although the pricing of my club is pretty darn reasonable.
Thanks
09-27-2008, 12:22 PM,
Re: Best All Around Base
If it's HCM, then I recommend you ditch it. Leaving HCM (I terminated membership just a month ago) was one of the best things I did for myself. It felt very liberating. There have been very FEW occasions where I was happy with the result of their services. So many times I said to myself, "I can do better" but didn't know where to find pieces and products, etc.

I serendipitously found Toplace, and all that I can want in a system is here. I wanted to customize my piece to make it appear natural, but what HCM offered was so frustrating (HCM's "customizations" are limited to basically: 1. size and 2. color). I put up with it for nearly 4 years because I didn't think there were options out there.

That's just some background information. To answer your question, since I'm still awaiting my first piece, I don't know what's a good base particular to you. What I do know is, no matter what base, it'll be better than an HCM piece. Yes, I had to endure thick pieces and unrealistic hairlines. My advice to you (from weeks and weeks of reading this forum) is to not go thick. Seeing scalp brings forth realism. I always wanted to show scalp when I was with HCM, but the mesh (netting) can be EASILY EASILY seen in ANY light.

Based on what people have said, an SFS piece is very realistic looking. We can show base without being detected. The flip side is that they say SFS is sensitive to tear (although some have said they have had NO problems with tear). That's probably something we'll need to figure for ourselves.

When I get my piece I will post pictures. One of my biggest problems is that my temple hair has receded a lot. The piece I ordered, I made and sent in a template that fits my own head and fits my pattern of baldness. I even had template hair built in! Can't wait to see how it goes. I've been so used to tweaking/hiding/playing around with HCM hair that I feel I can make anything work. A bonus is that it seems I don't have to work too hard with a Toplace system.

That's my (long) input for you. Good luck.

Leamon
09-27-2008, 06:04 PM,
wiggy Wrote:What base would give the best of both worlds? Looking to place the unit behind about 1 inch of frontal hair. Also very active and need something that will stay put through boating and some light swimming. Also would like 3-4 weeks of hold with minimal cleanup.
I currently wear for 4 weeks at a time and belong to a club. The stylist can get me in and out in less than an hour including haircut so I know it can get cleaned pretty easily. I think I have a double lace because I can change the front from temple to temple about 2-3 3 weeks into it by just lifting and peeling the tape of. Little or no stuff left on the lace and no hairs are removed. I then put contour Proflex tape and Proflex minitabs near the temples seems to hold ok. My hair is probably way too thick.
Looking to ditch the club although the pricing of my club is pretty darn reasonable.
Thanks

You might have a mono type base mate, With those type of bases heavy density is used to cover the un-natural looking mono base.
09-28-2008, 10:39 AM,
ba,

You could be right. I know that if it gets thin even the slightest it is time to get a new one. But seems like lace material.
Too bad I missed the Windsor convention since I live near Detroit.
I had my stylist leave temple to temple ready to change so I can get used to swapping out tape and clean underneath. This would give me a start at doing it myself. What would you suggest for a decent base that is easy to maintain and clean. I would change more often than once a month if I did it myself. The last week before my appointment it slips around on my head a bit. Looking at the available bases, perhaps lace with skin around the sides and back would work. Would I then put red liner then supertape on the skin area and perhaps Supertape from temple to temple. Then would I be able to peel the tape off and do a quick cleanup?
Thanks
09-28-2008, 01:55 PM,
I personally love the 64# French base, it's insanely strong and dissapears well. The hair would need replacing long before you ever damaged this base. Unless of course you accidentally cut it with scissors or something odd.
09-28-2008, 05:42 PM,
wiggy Wrote:ba,

You could be right. I know that if it gets thin even the slightest it is time to get a new one. But seems like lace material.
I had my stylist leave temple to temple ready to change so I can get used to swapping out tape and clean underneath. This would give me a start at doing it myself. What would you suggest for a decent base that is easy to maintain and clean. I would change more often than once a month if I did it myself. The last week before my appointment it slips around on my head a bit. Looking at the available bases, perhaps lace with skin around the sides and back would work. Would I then put red liner then supertape on the skin area and perhaps Supertape from temple to temple. Then would I be able to peel the tape off and do a quick cleanup?
Thanks

Well if you are going to use tape and want a quick and easy clean up, Yes lace with skin is your best choice.
09-29-2008, 11:09 AM,
BA707 Wrote:
wiggy Wrote:ba,

Thanks

Well if you are going to use tape and want a quick and easy clean up, Yes lace with skin is your best choice.

Will I be able to just peel the tape off? Would you suggest redliner with proflex or what other combination?
Is swimming and boating a good idea with this set up? Sounds like a 75% density to hide the poly?