Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new type of thin skin base?
10-02-2008, 03:56 AM,
new type of thin skin base?
I seem to remember reading about a new base, very thin and ideal for a partial. What is the name of this base? If I remember correctly the pictures of it looked like it was thinner than paper, and very stretchable. Also, any info (advantages, disadvantages) would be very helpful. I'm thinking about wearing a partial again, and want to know if I should order one of these instead of sfs; I have my own hairline.

1. Does the hair lay naturally with this base? How is it compared to sfs in this regard?
2. Does the hair shed more or less on this base than sfs?
3. Is the hair injected? I assume that this is good for not worrying about knots and having a 'growing out of the scalp' appearance?

4. On a different note, this ST-30 tape came out since I used to wear. Can someone tell me about it? Is it easy to appy, how is the hold, is cleanup easy, and is it pretty undetectable to the touch?

Help is appreciated.. WF
10-02-2008, 08:01 AM,
Re: new type of thin skin base?
the st-30 has a great hold for most....but as you know, that is very dependant on body chemistry. it is generally considered to be as strong as blue liner without the messy clean up.
DebbieS.
10-03-2008, 08:02 AM,
weird_fish Wrote:1. Does the hair lay naturally with this base? How is it compared to sfs in this regard?

It will not behave as well as SFS, particularly in the front hairline. I'm wearing one now in a short style, comb down.
Quote:2. Does the hair shed more or less on this base than sfs?
So far it seems to be shedding very little, using it over two months. Better than the older Thinskin and PSB systems I've had.
Quote:3. Is the hair injected? I assume that this is good for not worrying about knots and having a 'growing out of the scalp' appearance?
It is injected and does have a good scalp appearance, not so much for the hairline though.
10-03-2008, 09:52 AM,
I am currently wearing this base too, so i'll try to answer your questions.
weird_fish Wrote:1. Does the hair lay naturally with this base? How is it compared to sfs in this regard?
Hair on this base lays and behaves just like natural growing hair. To me it's better than lace in regards of hair behavior.

Quote:2. Does the hair shed more or less on this base than sfs?
My hairpiece is just a month old and it still doesn't show any signs of shedding.

Quote:3. Is the hair injected? I assume that this is good for not worrying about knots and having a 'growing out of the scalp' appearance?
Yes, the hair is injected and scalp looks OK. But not as good as I-Lace scalp looks though.
10-04-2008, 06:05 AM,
Thanks guys. As I stated, I have my own transplanted hairline so the hairline appearance of the new thin skin isn't an issue with me. Scalp appearance and hair behavior is, however. Do you think this is a better options than sfs for my case? Again, I don't have to worry about the hairline, the piece will be laying a half inch or so behind my hairline. Also, no one has answered my question yet about applying tape to the thin skin. Can I use ST-30, or 3-mil tape with this base? Or only glue?

Thanks for your help...WF
10-04-2008, 06:15 AM,
So this skin would be good for a comb down style right? I have been wearing my hair down now a days. maybe im better off getting a lace system with thin skin perimeter around the entire unit,, use tape for the base and like got2bglued for the front. with a comb down style.
10-04-2008, 09:55 AM,
weird_fish Wrote:Do you think this is a better options than sfs for my case?
I don't know what is better for you, you should try it by yourself and decide what is the best.
I have only one issue with this base - sweating. When there is the heat, wearing a piece with this skin base becomes to be a hell for me.
Howewer, i like this base and the edges on it are a lot better than on lace, so it's more undetectable to the touch.

Quote:Also, no one has answered my question yet about applying tape to the thin skin. Can I use ST-30, or 3-mil tape with this base? Or only glue?
I use ST-30 with this base, although it's not advisably.
10-04-2008, 10:03 AM,
Xeon005 Wrote:So this skin would be good for a comb down style right? I have been wearing my hair down now a days. maybe im better off getting a lace system with thin skin perimeter around the entire unit,, use tape for the base and like got2bglued for the front. with a comb down style.

As for the front, it may be just this particular system that I got, which was a stock/spare. It appears that the front had been trimmed back past the original hairline. I'm not sure if it's the same as Beck's, this base feels quite different than previous thinskin and PSB units I've had. It has a "papery" feel to it, yet it is very stretchy and strong.

Unfortunately, G2BG does not seem to hold at all with it for me. It worked fine with the old PSB/thinskin base.
10-04-2008, 12:24 PM,
if i were to try any skin, id probably get a skin perimeter all around, but have lace at the center for comfort. that way you have the best of both worlds. Id also go for a comb down style with skin.
10-06-2008, 04:02 AM,
Xeon, what would be the point in having skin around the perimeter and lace in the middle? I thought the point of this thinskin is to have a more natural scalp appearance.