Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Deb, question about the short Full Cap....
10-07-2008, 09:31 AM,
Hey Deb, question about the short Full Cap....
What are your thoughts on going a little shorter on the sides with the unit you cut in at the Windsor convention?

My problem is that I have a wide, ROUND head and if I could get a bit of taper on the sides it would give my head a better overall shape.

My mom and some others saw the pics of that piece and absolutely loved it due to the spiky style (only worn it out once since I got back), but I think it could look even better if I were able to buzz the sides down a little. Dino said he got down to 1/4" on one of his and it looks amazing.....

I should probably wait since my other piece is on its last leg and I am waiting on four new ones. Don't want to be stuck with only one piece that is only going to last me another few weeks or a month tops.

Thanks in advance for the professional opinion!
10-07-2008, 02:28 PM,
Re: Hey Deb, question about the short Full Cap....
I'll just clarify that the quarter of an inch on my piece is only the hair immediately around the ears. It gets longer and longer going toward the top of my head. I think that, with all lace in a full cap, it's safe to go very very short around the ears because no one is looking at the hair behind your ears hair the way they would look at your hairline. Also, even at a quarter of an inch around the ears, the hair covers the lace.
10-07-2008, 02:30 PM,
as long as the base doesn't show, I think you could go a bit shorter. just have Betsy take it in very small increments. I understand what you are saying though, it may give you a more tapered look which in turn will make your head appear not so round. (if that makes any sense). I happen to like your nice round head. ha ha
DebbieS.
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM,
Hehe....thanks for the compliment Deb.

Yea Dino, that's what I'm talking about, tapering it as it goes up. Only thing I worry about is that this piece is still pretty dense in that area and if i go too short I hope it will still lay down.....

I might even attempt this myself with clippers taking off a little at a time.

I'm gonna be mighty careful in the sideburn area. I already cut a tiny bit more off in that area since after I attached the next time after the cut-in there was some hair that was a little too long. Probably a result of my five minute cut-in attachment. You gotta have that sucker on straight for the cut or it's "tweak time" later (if you have enough hair)

You know, another thing that can add to the overall realism and look of the piece is the shape of the hairline all the way around from above the ears and around the back. I learned to taper the base in the back, but I think I need to take a little hair off in an "arch" over the ears as well.
10-07-2008, 03:59 PM,
I think you should get an old unit or wait till you dont care about it anymore.. bleach the hell out of it, so the knots are hidden, and then buy a buzzer and go as low as you can go, number by number lower, till u reach a number you feel looks unnatural.. That way youll know forever how short you can go.
10-07-2008, 04:27 PM,
The problem is this is dependent upon density as well. A thinner unit is going to act different than a thicker one.

The thing with these full caps is that if you get one that holds density fairly well (as this particular one has) all you have to do is keep getting hair added here and there and these things will last you awhile.

I'm actually still on my first two full caps that I stared wearing I think it was February 1st. Knock one month off that for when I was wearing a skin perimeter unit that had to go back just to preserve the one good one I had (the other needed a little hair added), but with hair adds in these two units I am going on 7.5 months, and I think I can squeeze another 6 weeks between the two of them. That makes 9 solid months for two pieces, one of which sheds like crazy. If I had two units with good hair I'll bet I could get a solid year with a couple of touch ups.

I have four more on the way, so I might throw caution to the wind once I get one or two of them sorted out.